• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

great job you guys! by the way the CO'S were out also where i was yesterday! like a group of 4, checkin every angler out!

#22 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

there was only one on the lake, he was in uniform but on a regular ski-doo, a couple guys got tickets for being over limit, he was a friendly guy, didn't give me any problems, he checked everyone there and then went to the other side of the lake, i think its a good thing that they are checking but i really think that they should have a bigger limit on joe for lakers, about 3-4 fish with a slot size, i mean it opens so late in the year and theres absolutely tons of them in there! 

#23 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

its surprising to me that the CO were making such a strong presence on such a random day.. in my whole life ive only run into them once and that was at a very popular spot thats always crowded with idiots and what not

not that its a bad thing, hell i wish id see them more often.

people are less likely to do something retarded when they have a bigger chance of being caught

ah well getting off topic now but interesting none the less

#24 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

i mean it opens so late in the year and theres absolutely tons of them in there! 

Alright that's enough, I'm heading to Lake Joe! Lol. 

Anyone wanna join?

Tomorrow may even work for me. PM me if interested!

#25 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

funny thing is the CO wrote down someone next to our hut, i think they mistaken a herring for a whitie, eventhough all trhoughout the hut was posters of the definition of the 2 species, i was laughing coz i think the other fellow he was fishing with didnt have a valid fishing license either! good they get caught, to thin out the herd a little bit. less lawbreakers means more happy law abiding anglers!

#26 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

ya joe actually gets checked quite a bit from what I've heard, it was only my 2nd time getting stopped by one on joe though, Salmo: i may go up friday or saturday if you're available, i can meet up there with you.

#27 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

you know all that surveillance probably lends to the healthy fish population quite a bit, thats good to see!

and salmo if youre really going up tomorrow pm me some details like what time, etc and i just "might" be too sick to work in the morning ;)

but of course weekend (pref saturday this week) would be more certain

#28 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

I'd be down for this Saturday for a trip to Joe. 

Had a bad night with the kids this past weekend so was exhausted and the 2 hour drive would've kicked my ass. 

#29 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

I'm probably gonna hit either nip or joe this weekend, if joe, then probably saturday or sunday maybe even monday, depending on when I'm free, if nip then saturday and sunday, well see.

#30 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

I'd like to fish nip, but it's a long drive. almost 4 hours vs the 2 to joe. that's 4 extra hours of fishing lol

#31 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

you won't need much time on joe, if you go in the morning, youll have your limit in 15-20 minutes if you know what you're doing, then its just catch and release, lol, i would be really happy if they raised the limit to at least 3 fish! I wanna hit nip, because it closes on the 15th, and the fishing is amazing! Its not gonna be a day trip there though, an overnighter for sure, from me to joe its about an hour and 15 minutes, give or take, just up the 400, nip is 3 hours, both are great lakes, I'm debating still, lol.

#32 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Am i reading the regs right? Limit is 1 for conservation and 2 for sport? Jeeeeezuss!! I have a con. license but it's all good. 

I see what you mean then about that, BowSlayer. lol. 

#33 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

conservation license? oh you're screwed man, lol, i wouldn't drive there for 1 fish but if you're into c&r its an awesome lake, I'm not a fan of releasing delicious lakers but what can ya do, lol.

#34 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Either way.. Sport is only 2 so we're all screwed there lol. I don't mind catch and release at all. The last fish I brought home was that dink perch but only cause I had to.

#35 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

ya, i like lakers though, tasty fish, lol, 1 fish can make quite a difference if the size is right ;) they're definitely fun to catch and release but sometimes they get hooked and won't survive especially if you're using a williams spoon like i was and its sad to see them go and eventually die when they could have been dinner, oh well. Last time we were out there it was crazy, i had a heavy rod as a set line and you couldn't tell if there was a fish on or not, so every time i would step out, lift it, feel a weight set the hook and get a laker, makes me wonder how long they were on that hook! 

#36 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

I tried Joe today, really shat the bed on arrival time. Started at a bright and early 4:30pm, fished til 6:15pm.

Walked approx. 1-2kms, about 1 hour of walking each way pulling the sled.

First hole..90ft. After marking absolutely nothing, I walked a short distance closer to shore, and got a little freaked out when I realized I was walking on snow covered slush! Curiosity got the better of me, and I drilled a hole through the slush/ice to find out whether I was now on some kind of river. Nope, not a river, I ended up above almost 300 fow! Talk about abrupt depth change!

My initial plan was for a smaller lake, but I couldn't find any access, even with the MNR's help. All access points were covered by walls of snow that I wouldn't be able to navigate with my sled. 

Proud to have accomplished the arduous walk. Wish I had gotten there about 8 hours earlier :lol: There's always next time. 

#37 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

skunked at joe! wow you have a talent, lol, J/K be there early until noon, tough fishing after noon, if you want to hook into fish for sure, foots bay is your friend, i might go                sunday, shoot me a pm when you go next time, ill help you out.

#38 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

the 2 fish limit on joe doesn't help the fishery at all.