• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

Here's a video i found on fish handling and getting a shot if you feel the need.

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Great video - probably the best instructional video on fish release posted.

#3 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

buddy lost his rod for sure. rofl

but yeah good vid for sure

#4 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

Great video and could not be more true 

#5 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

I don't normally criticize but I watched a Fish TV episode on the catching trout an boy were they MAN HANDLING the fish. Love the show for a long time an now that I watch that episode it ruined it for me. The only thing it didn't show was them kicking the one they didn't want back. Lol. Hope beginners, or fellow experienced fishermen will change their sloppy ways for the future fish. Great video

#6 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Did you keep the fish in your Avatar Garfield or did you let it swim for another day?

#7 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

S4S thanks for posting that video.

#8 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

Kept it.

#9 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

Great video ! I wish every steelheader would watch it.

#10 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

I'm not saying good handling techniques isn't important...

But are we forgetting that these fish (Salmon, Steelhead, and yes, even Brown Trout) bash themselves against waterfalls as they jump, kick through riffles just inches deep with back out, and wear out their fins, slime coat and skin as they dig redds to spawn? And yet, spawned out Steelhead and Brown Trout survive these self inflicted injury just to spawn again next year.

Sometimes, I just roll my eyes a little...If a Salmon or Steelhead can swim 100km upstream with a chunk out of its back due to a seal bite or a few deep gashes on its side due to eagle talons, the few moments that you handle them doesn't really mean poop. We give them too little credit for the tough fish that they really are.

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

That's in their natural course. I also believe that they are very resilient. What we do by hooking and fighting to exhaustion is not natural, so it's up to us to respect our quarry and return them in as good condition as possible

#12 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:27 PM

You're right. it's always about ethics.

I roll my eyes when people say you should even touch the fish in fear of removing its slime layer, or you should take it out of the water for 30 seconds to take a photo.

God forbid...a 2min fight on the line will build up too much lactic acid that the fish can't recover.

If the fish are going to be affected that much by our angling activity, then we should not fish them in the first place.

And I'm not just being critical. Personally, I don't fish for Steelhead a couple of weeks past opener because most of the fish are already really stressed out after the spawn and the high water temp won't help their cause. That's a personal choice I make that...if they can't even be handled, I shouldn't target them in the first place.

Similarly...if I see bedding bass after opener, I wouldn't target them either...doesn't matter if it was legal and if I release them as quickly and as carefully as possible.

#13 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

Make an effort is the lesson I see here.
Only time I have a net, is off the pier or on the boat.
I don't use 60 lb braid and telephone pole enabling the Yankee style swing the fish into the boat method.
On the river always attempt to beach the fish on the shallow stone area and not the sand covered spots.
These little things help alot.

#14 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

Oh
And never drop your rod and reel like that winter fishing.
Unless your hanging around till spring melt.