• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

I went to Lake Joe yesterday with some neighbors on a bay East of Foots.

one guy caught 5 or 6
2 had 2 each
2 had 1 each, incl me.

all fairly small. mine was 1 of the bigger ones
1 guy caught a ling

It was cold when the wind came up a bit but was so nice and sunny outside that nobody wanted to put the tents up. Walking conds, mostly on skidoo tracks, were good. No slush.

Attached Images

• trout.jpg

#2 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

nice! ya joe is like that tons of small lakers, lots of fun though, was it non-stop for you guys in the morning and you just kept losing them, or was it slow? How big was the ling?

#3 allan

allan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

From experience - I think i can say that just might be Knuguy's biggest catch ever....LOL

#4 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

Nice going - great eating size.  Love it when its decent enough to be outside on the ice :mrgreen:

#5 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

Finally iced a laker, lost a lot of them today too. It's been fun gaining deep water fishing and ice fishing experience.

My tips for anyone reading that's looking to ice one of these beauties, is to make sure that whatever you're using, you're keeping it fairly deep and active! Whether you're using a minnow, a worm or a spoon, move it up and down the water column, concentrating particularly on the bottom 1/3rd. If you're not marking any fish, keep your bait looking alive and you'll be more likely to attract fish and entice a strike when one does swim by.   

Like fishing for any other species, it gets easier with practice. 

A basic rig served me well today, using a small hook with a live minnow, and a split shot about 12" up from the hook to get it to sink. Moved up and down, it creates the injured baitfish action that game fish can't resist. 

16"

472ac694-a5bb-462e-af28-e54339c855d0_zps

This happened to me more than once this week. As soon as I took my bait out of the water, I start marking fish. Tried to get my bait back down quick, but didn't make it on time as you can see by this pic :lol: (Fish at 44ft, my minnow at 22ft)

4cedea59-7199-4b42-b1fe-9774fe1ac09b_zps

#6 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

nice Salmo!! When ut gets slow, i usually just jig a small williams aggressively and it gets fix to come and usually bite! On joe i jig it near bottom, thats where i pick up most of the bigger ones, the set rod is good for all sizes but if you're looking just for the big ones, use a small williams with a minnow head and just rip it up, let it fall, then rip it again, don't stop when you see fish, they'll get it if the want too, especially the big ones, i find reeling up, they won't hit on joe, like on simcoe, but slowly reeling up a jig, sometimes the big ones will hit it with a minnow. You did alright though for your first few times out, everyone starts there but you'll notice the next few times out, you'll hook into more and more, just switch up lures, not be afraid to jig that williams, many people are afraid to try big lures on joe but it does work and big lure=big fish!

#7 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

nice fish guys! glad you got into it there

lake joe has been one of my better experiences this year, nuff' little lakers but great fun.. glad to see others getting into some action there

def right about keeping the bait moving in the column that was what got me my first

awesome dudes