Photo

Looking for a float rod trade for $50 Bass Pro gift card??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nerosrevenge

nerosrevenge

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hi all.

I am looking for a decent length float rod for Steelhead/Salmon that I can use with a spinning reel for now.

I am located in Newmarket.

Thanks,

Steve

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

http://www.basspro.c...oduct/10204878/

#3 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

http://www.basspro.c...oduct/10204878/

that would be a good starter, and the bright side is its brand new!

#4 nerosrevenge

nerosrevenge

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

Yeah I was looking at those, I am heading down to Bass Pro next weekend so I'll have a look.

Thanks guys,

Steve

#5 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

i have this same rod. used it as my first river rod.  its very good for the price as a starter

the only bad thing is the last bunch of about 4 guides dont line up smoothly with the larger ones behind them, and it might cause some catchups  or friction on drifts.. very minimal but thats the thing that bothered me a bit..

on a warm day it wouldnt be bad enough to consider, but in the cold its worse then other rods with better guides 

im talking about the 9'6 version. it was good and got me fish but within the same season i went out and got something a bit better

personally if your not sure about going all in yet or just need something cheap, go for it. if you can wait or afford to spend around 200 or more, youll get something much more worth your time imo

hope that helps id still recommend it for the price. 

#6 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

My advice would be to get a streamside rod, the lower end ones retail around 80 bucks and they're great rods.

#7 nerosrevenge

nerosrevenge

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am just getting into float fishing and I am not sure how much my schedule will even allow me to get out.

I think I'll start with this rod and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Steve

#8 Pindrifter

Pindrifter

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

The micro-lite from basspro are great rods for the money. I picked a 8' up for bushwacking a little trib last year in my area. Its a im6 graphite with a decent back bone, as far as hooking into a salmon im not sure if its got what your looking for, would be fun horsing one in for a bit, but you might end up with 2 rods instead of one. I liked the rod so much i picked up the 9'6" for a back up to keep in my car instead of having one of my higher end rods in there to be stolen like my last one did with my spare waders.

#9 nerosrevenge

nerosrevenge

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

The micro-lite from basspro are great rods for the money. I picked a 8' up for bushwacking a little trib last year in my area. Its a im6 graphite with a decent back bone, as far as hooking into a salmon im not sure if its got what your looking for, would be fun horsing one in for a bit, but you might end up with 2 rods instead of one. I liked the rod so much i picked up the 9'6" for a back up to keep in my car instead of having one of my higher end rods in there to be stolen like my last one did with my spare waders.

Thanks for the info. I am heading to Bass Pro tomorrow with the fam for the Spring Fishing event I hope to grab one then.

Steve

#10 nerosrevenge

nerosrevenge

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Well I picked up the rod today and I have to say I am pleased with it.

The rod is if sufficient quality and for the price I feel it's a good value.

It helps if course that is was on sale, which I did not know prior to heading to Bass Pro.

I can wait to hit the water with it.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve