• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

The only real solution I see is to farm fish, BUT  don't do it in a way that endangers the wild stocks, it's easy enough to build reservoirs  which would be able to raise just as much if not more than the pen farms.

#22 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

I know what you're saying, but, theres a lot more fish than that being kept right now.  I release about 90% of what I catch, I do keep the odd fish for a meal. 

In all honesty though, there wouldn't be a daily limit on fish if the people in charge didn't think the fish population can survive it, I think they have better number than you or I could find.  I don't know how many Canadians have a fishing license, or how many of those are C&R only or how many catch and keep.  Neither do I know the number of people that poach fish, or fish without a license.  All I know is that, with the exception of the Atlantic Salmon, our fishery is pretty good across Ontario.

#23 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

The only real solution I see is to farm fish, BUT  don't do it in a way that endangers the wild stocks, it's easy enough to build reservoirs  which would be able to raise just as much if not more than the pen farms.

for that to work, you'd have to build them away from natural waterways to eliminate the possibility of spreading diseases, and we're already losing enough crop lands as it is for housing and a stupid 407 extension

#24 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

See I love that Idea  lol    You would have to keep a fresh flow of water in then run the out flow through some sort of filter removing any bacteria or disease that it might be contaminated with.  Good thought Christopher farm fish in only land locked situations. still fairly high cost and convincing the general public to switch would a fairly hard endeavor.    

I know what you're saying, but, theres a lot more fish than that being kept right now.  I release about 90% of what I catch, I do keep the odd fish for a meal. 

In all honesty though, there wouldn't be a daily limit on fish if the people in charge didn't think the fish population can survive it, I think they have better number than you or I could find.  I don't know how many Canadians have a fishing license, or how many of those are C&R only or how many catch and keep.  Neither do I know the number of people that poach fish, or fish without a license.  All I know is that, with the exception of the Atlantic Salmon, our fishery is pretty good across Ontario.

Again not saying its "not cool" to keep fish or that you personal keep to many fish.  IMO we need better control over the amount that can be kept and where they can be kept from.

3 ish million Canadians with fishing licences 2010.  

One big reason I am for C&R sections and/or a way lower keep limit is because I fish mainly GB tribs.  Everyone comes to GB and hacks(kills) 2 fish a day, because its a treat and they don't regularly keep fish from their local tribs.   So lets say just rainbow in say the beaver river, 20 guys a day keep 2 fish for 4 months (which is a low #)  4800  fish kept per year.  That same river had 3200 fish make it over the dam between march and November last year.    I don't like those odds.  Not to mention the river opened end of April so some fish above got stung as well.  

I love steelheading and with those # being pulled from the tribs and the MNR about to cut the s**t out of our stocking programs ?????  then what?    Not So Strong.    By no means am I against keeping a fish,  please understand that.  But I feel the conscious people need to over compensate for the unconscious,  because those unconscious Jack A**es are taking 2 fish everyday and filling their freezer,  then throwing 1/2 of it out next year to make room for a fresh harvest.   We know its true.  A lot of work went into those tribs to get them back to the state they are today and the guys who did the work are getting old. I can only hope that we do and care the same as they did.    

OH and ask any old timer from my area how GB's fishery compares to 20yrs ago  I'm sure their words would not be "pretty good" 

#25 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

i know what ya mean, Huron and GB have lost a lot of baitfish, i grew up fishing that area, living in Sarnia, and going to Red Bay and Wiarton every summer and salmon fishing with my dad and grandpa, the salmon and bow fishing is not what it used to be, they don't have the larger fish that lake o has or the numbers.

I know that salmon have been seen eating crawfish because of the baitfish situation.

Eventually I'd love to get involved with the stocking program as a volunteer, I just need the time to do so.

#26 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

How hard do you have to hit a fish on the head to be a responsible harvester?  Do you use a rock or some kind of tool?

I would like to go camping this year and catch dinner.....respectfully, of course! 

Knife down the jugular to bleed it out - do this AWAY from your campsite unless you want to attract critters at night.  Best thing to do is to have a shore lunch with fresh caught fish - wouldn't want them sitting around for too long.  I agree that the stringer is a bad idea... seems a little to much unfair stress for the fish. 

Have a good shore lunch, bon appetite!

#27 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

WARNING : Video is rated 18+

#28 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

Knife down the jugular to bleed it out - do this AWAY from your campsite unless you want to attract critters at night.  Best thing to do is to have a shore lunch with fresh caught fish - wouldn't want them sitting around for too long.  I agree that the stringer is a bad idea... seems a little to much unfair stress for the fish. 

Have a good shore lunch, bon appetite!

Thanks for the tip!  I dont know if I'll have the heart to do something like that but good to know in case I do.

I would never ever put a fish on a stringer!  I love those guys...

#29 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

I usually cut its head off, from the top down, takes a split second and the fish is gonzo. 

A lot of inexperienced anglers try to bonk them, I've seen fish take a hard beating, much better to put it out with a knife. 

#30 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

sniff sniff, so sad...

#31 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

I spend most of my time on huron tribs and I don't seem much C&R. Take a walk down the river on any given weekend and count the fish stacked up on the shore. The staggering number of fish I see kept is enough to make me release em
I got in the habit of it now I feel guilty for keeping a fish opposed to the happy feeling I get when I see a well recovered fish swim away.

#32 RobH

RobH

Sunfish

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

There is another point here that hasn't been brought up and that is the quality of the fish as table fare.  What else do we keep them for, right?  I know my way around a kitchen and can tell you this, steelhead from the rivers simply are not that good to eat and I've eaten my share.  As much as I dislike eating salmon or trout from the supermarket (for the reasons already brought up), I love fish and the farmed steelhead that Zehrs often has is stock is outstanding.  Completely different than the Atlantic salmon.  I digress.

My point is that they are not great to eat.  Fall fish fresh from the lake can be passable but by the time that they have been in the river for a week and have discontinued eating, they aren't worth the butter that you cook them in.  Spring fish and kelted fish are not even passable.  I wouldn't give them to a homeless person.  I've smoked them, BBQ's them, baked, fried and poached them and unless you marinate the crap out of them, you may as well eat white bread with no spread. 

Is it just me or am I picky.  

Most of us here or on other similar forums get it but when some dude on the river say's to me. "This ones goin' on the BBQ."  I hear, "I'm going to walk up and down the bank all day with my fish to show the world what a mighty angler I am."

There really is no good reason to kill salmon or trout.

#33 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Your making me hungry for bbqed kelts

#34 Graham Bristow

Graham Bristow

Sunfish

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

lol.... bang on Rob... I watched this guy keep an almost black steelhead the other day.. he was so proud of that yummy 5lb Lake O fish.. I almost said `your not seriously going to eat that are you`` but I decided to look away instead and not start anything..... personally, I`d much rather have a burger or eat a pizza after fishing then a big black steelhead...lol...