Photo

Coments for novice fly fishers interested in getting into the sport.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

Since last year when I started to visit the site, there have been a number of fishers interested in getting into fly fishing.  Correct me if I am wrong, but most of them seem to be looking on the 'net for info and reviews on equipment, especially rods.  When I started, a novice bought books, which would hold a comprehensive over-view of what was needed.  IMO, internet searches are comparatively spotty or do not provide a cohesive discussion of the subject.

I suggest the two links below be read by those excited to start this year.

http://www.flyangler...n/101/part1.php

http://www.flyangler...n/101/part3.php

One of the first questions is, "What do you plan to fish for, and how big is the water you plan to fish most of the time?"  Once that is settled, you can start to narrow your search to appropriate tools within you budget.

My intention with the next info is not to brag, but to make a point.  I have 15 fly rods and belong to a casting club so I can try several others.  I have 3 4wts, 4 5wts, 4 6wts, 3 7wts and a 9wt ... and they are all different!

And they are all different than the Loomises, Sages, Loops and bamboo rods at the club.  Members of the club are all shapes and sizes, male and female.  Most of them have several rods and settled on ones that match their size, style and energy.

Which one is right for you?

Generally a novice does better with a well-balanced, moderately priced rod such as a StCroix Imperial or Avid because they lack the timing, appropriate application of power, and sensitivity to the flex of the rod and the pull of the line, that experience and practice provide.  As well, because they have a whole lifetime of throwing objects (and Rapalas) forward with a motion that is not fly casting, they have in fact the completely wrong muscle memory.  Fortunately less expensive, slower/softer rods are forgiving of this, whereas stiffer rods will react to every twitch (and error) and be harder to manage as a beginning caster.

So as the season begins, I implore new casters to connect with someone who can let you try a couple of rods - and cast for about 1/2 an hour.  Don't buy a rod just because of recommendations or what you read.  If you read the descriptions by rod manufactures they are: not always accurate and; sometimes self-contradictory. 

In the club we say you won't know very much about your first rod until you get your second one ('cause only then can you compare).    Like shoes, clothes and most tools, one size does not fit all and only a 'test drive' will let you know what feels best for you.

I just don't want you to start off on a path of unnecessary compromise and frustration.

#2 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

Jakelake maybe a bunch of us can get together at a park on a river or something like so the rookies can get pointers on casting and rod choices and it would be a great way for all of us to put some names to faces

#3 Maxwell

Maxwell

Shiner Minnow

• Banned
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

Since last year when I started to visit the site, there have been a number of fishers interested in getting into fly fishing.  Correct me if I am wrong, but most of them seem to be looking on the 'net for info and reviews on equipment, especially rods.  When I started, a novice bought books, which would hold a comprehensive over-view of what was needed.  IMO, internet searches are comparatively spotty or do not provide a cohesive discussion of the subject.

I suggest the two links below be read by those excited to start this year.

http://www.flyangler...n/101/part1.php

http://www.flyangler...n/101/part3.php

One of the first questions is, "What do you plan to fish for, and how big is the water you plan to fish most of the time?"  Once that is settled, you can start to narrow your search to appropriate tools within you budget.

My intention with the next info is not to brag, but to make a point.  I have 15 fly rods and belong to a casting club so I can try several others.  I have 3 4wts, 4 5wts, 4 6wts, 3 7wts and a 9wt ... and they are all different!

And they are all different than the Loomises, Sages, Loops and bamboo rods at the club.  Members of the club are all shapes and sizes, male and female.  Most of them have several rods and settled on ones that match their size, style and energy.

Which one is right for you?

Generally a novice does better with a well-balanced, moderately priced rod such as a StCroix Imperial or Avid because they lack the timing, appropriate application of power, and sensitivity to the flex of the rod and the pull of the line, that experience and practice provide.  As well, because they have a whole lifetime of throwing objects (and Rapalas) forward with a motion that is not fly casting, they have in fact the completely wrong muscle memory.  Fortunately less expensive, slower/softer rods are forgiving of this, whereas stiffer rods will react to every twitch (and error) and be harder to manage as a beginning caster.

So as the season begins, I implore new casters to connect with someone who can let you try a couple of rods - and cast for about 1/2 an hour.  Don't buy a rod just because of recommendations or what you read.  If you read the descriptions by rod manufactures they are: not always accurate and; sometimes self-contradictory. 

In the club we say you won't know very much about your first rod until you get your second one ('cause only then can you compare).    Like shoes, clothes and most tools, one size does not fit all and only a 'test drive' will let you know what feels best for you.

I just don't want you to start off on a path of unnecessary compromise and frustration.

Thank you for that. Let us know if you ever setup such a day for people to come out and try different rods.

Again thank you.

#4 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

great advice as always Jacklake!

I started off with a slower rod, the ross rx, still my favourite to cast, then moved to a loomis, its harder to cast, but i love the feel, and how it handles a fish, I figure the more I use it, the better I'll get with it

like you said, practice practice practice

#5 Graham Bristow

Graham Bristow

Sunfish

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I agree, but even softer rods in the hands of someone that doesn't know timing, proper rod tip paths or stopping points isn't going to do much good for a beginner caster. Like golfing for the first time on your own, it doesn't matter what club you use your going to suck because of your crappy swing...  I would also recommend a cheaper, slower softer rod for beginners to but then take a casting lesson with the money you saved on the rod and reel. A friend, or a club like yours may be a good idea or there`s a number of shops, casting instructors and guides out there that teach casting techniques that can greatly increase your abilities and provide you with more enjoyment quicker then if you where to plug away on your own..

By the way if a bunch of you rookies :razz: do get together on the river let me know, if I'm free that day I`ll bring some of my rods down and help with the instruction and let you guys try some of the Hardy and Greys rods, I might even have as many as Jacklake does.. :razz: ..