17 replies to this topic

#1 quincy 71212

quincy 71212

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering, what's the difference between a 9ft spinning rod and a 9ft float rod? I want to buy a rod to use with a centerpin, and a 9ft spinning rod is cheaper than the float rod that's also 9ft. 

#2 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Here's a great set up that's reasonably priced,  It comes with a 13.5 ft rod which is WAY better for centerpin fishing  http://www.fishheads...enterpin-combo/

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

generally a float rod has a softer action and will bend a lot easier than the stiffer spinning rods.  Float rods are built to protect light lines while fighting fish, where spinning rods are built to assume you are going to use a heavy braid

#4 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

generally a float rod has a softer action and will bend a lot easier than the stiffer spinning rods.  Float rods are built to protect light lines while fighting fish, where spinning rods are built to assume you are going to use a heavy braid

thats right i think thats what the rediculously long rods withstand big heavy running fish on even 4lb test leaders if done properly you should be able to do it with ease, trust me a couple of feet difference and a little softer/lighter action will make a worlds difference, ive fished with 7, 10, and 13 foot rods, im really comfortable with the 13, the hardest one to fight a fish is the short 7 medium rod that i had for ages, 10 was not bad, but i found myself losing alot of fish due to lack of flexibility, the 7 ft rod was a spinning, 10 was a spinning or could be used as a float rod also, and the 13 being a float rod, i think the only difference would be flex while fighting a fish and a little bit of length to compensate for a bit of operator error, thats just my 2 cents

#5 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

I have a 9' 5wt that I striped and retied as ultra light spinning/ float rod that I use on small tribs and headwaters where you don't have the room for a 13' .... My second fave rod

#6 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

I have a 9' 5wt that I striped and retied as ultra light spinning/ float rod that I use on small tribs and headwaters where you don't have the room for a 13' .... My second fave rod

must be a blast! and thats a pretty good option to go to, specially in really heavily covered and narrow spots

#7 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

It is a blast I was landing 10lb stealies last spring on a gb head water headwater along with some beauty browns

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

i know at least one person on this forum has taken a spey rod and converted it to a float rod for the niagara

#9 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

It is a blast I was landing 10lb stealies last spring on a gb head water headwater along with some beauty browns

that requires some serious skill bro! good for you! i could imagine fighting 10+ lb fish with that, the challenge and the satisfaction after each and every fish landed!

#10 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Ya it takes patients !! That's why I laugh when people say you can't fish salmon and stealhead with a 5 wt !! If you have the patients you could use a 3 wt if you want but you can't be in a hurry

#11 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

Ya it takes patients !! That's why I laugh when people say you can't fish salmon and stealhead with a 5 wt !! If you have the patients you could use a 3 wt if you want but you can't be in a hurry

you can do that, but the stress you put on a fish by extending the fight because you chose not to bring heavier tackle for the target species, will likely kill the fish

#12 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

I fish for meat any ways so that's ok with me but if your doing c&r you do want heavier tackel but my point is it can be done where a lot of people say it can't

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

spinning rod has much stiffer tip than a float rod. if you're going to drift roes, your presentation won't drift naturally. But I have used a spinning rod 9'6" for bottom bouncing no problems...

#14 quincy 71212

quincy 71212

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

i have some buddys that float fish with pins and their telling me to just use a fly rod  but would that even work i heard  they are a bad combo  is that true

#15 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:19 AM

i have some buddys that float fish with pins and their telling me to just use a fly rod  but would that even work i heard  they are a bad combo  is that true

I've done it before but honestly not the best experience doing it, the cork is un comfortable for drifting for me, it bent too much and was really slow action, i would just get a float rod, stream side makes great rods and cheap too, the tranquility is the best in the series, it is a bit more but is really light, comfortable, very nice rod. As for the spinning, i wouldn't use a spinning for drifting, i have done it but a lot of break offs, I've done it with 4 lb test but it is hard and you'll be chasing the fish downstream falling into the creek and everything, a float rod is soft and fast action, it is long and has a huge been to it, when the fish runs on that 4-6 lb leader, the rod softens the runs from the fish, making it softer on the leader and possible to land big fish on 4 lb test. 

#16 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

bottom line, guys caught fish on a tree branch and line years ago. anything

can

work. the more you fish the

appropriate

gear the more

accurate

results you will recieve.

:) :) :)

#17 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

I use a 9'6 6w TFO rod for some stuff, its got lots of back bone and a great action. One of my favorite rods to land chrome on, Will stop fish in heavy flows with 8lb leads with power to spare.

#18 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

bottom line, guys caught fish on a tree branch and line years ago. anything

can

work. the more you fish the

appropriate

gear the more

accurate

results you will recieve.

:) :) :)

i remember my bro forgot his rod at the room we stay at, we are on the lake bass fishing, he rigged a cedar tree branch with 8 ft of mono, hooked onto a fish, the smallie cleared the boat windsheild flopped to the other side and spit the hook, easily 4 lb fish!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spinrod, floatrod, fishing, rods, floatfishing