• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

hey guys, this Sunday will be my second time heading out to BBP, first time was a total bust. I was just wondering how thick the ice is? Ive been to cooks bay a lot and I see people driving around in full size pick ups and I was wondering if I can drive a compact sedan near BBP. My reason is that I really have trouble walking the long distances out to the fish and I would enjoy the trip way more if I didn't have to make the long walk back if I didn't catch anything. any advice would be greatly helpful.

Thanks

#2 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

What are you trying to fish that you'd need to drive out there for? 

Whitie and Laker season is over on Saturday. So if you're fishing perch, you don't need to drive out to the deep parts. 

When we drilled on Sunday, the ice was easily 27" thick. I'm not sure how safe a compact sedan is on there though. There will be alot of snow after today coupled with wind .. it's not the safest of situations for a compact sedan. But that's just my opinion.. others might feel differently. :)

#3 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

I want to fish for lakers on Saturday, I know the ice is super thick on cooks bay but I want to know how thick it is near Big Bay Point

#4 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Whitie and Laker season is over on Saturday. So if you're fishing perch, you don't need to drive out to the deep parts. 

This ^^^.

Be sure to check the regulations when you're thinking about heading out and not sure whats going on.

And yes the ice is super thick out there. Planned to drill more holes when we were out there and easily changed my mind.

#5 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

the ice is thick but there is current, i spend my fair share of time around there and after this snowfall i would definitely not advice you to drive a sedan on the ice, its almost guaranteed that you will get stuck and with the current i wouldn't drive anything there, its not much of a walk to the good spots from bbp, and as stated above sunday the season is closed for lakers and whities on simcoe until may, so if you want to fish for those which i would think you do then you better go saturday, there are jumbos around there near shore if you know where to find them but there are definitely better spots on simcoe for perch.

#6 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

I was there last week, a van tried to drive just past the boat ramp to pick up their shed, got stuck and have  to get it towed by CAA. lots of snow everywhere.

Ice still very thick. We did not have an auger nor fish finder, so we just punctured whatever some existing hole we could find. It was tough for us. We hardly notice any fish were caught by most. We were fishing not too far from the hut rental. 

I heard a huge die off on white fish last year. 

#7 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

I was there last week, a van tried to drive just past the boat ramp to pick up their shed, got stuck and have  to get it towed by CAA. lots of snow everywhere.

Ice still very thick. We did not have an auger nor fish finder, so we just punctured whatever some existing hole we could find. It was tough for us. We hardly notice any fish were caught by most. We were fishing not too far from the hut rental. 

I heard a huge die off on white fish last year. 

there are lots of whities around, especially on the other side, "cough cough" lol, i have a feeling the die off was a load of bs because there was not a single picture shown to the MNR, they're hitting lipless cranks right now so they're definitely hungry!!

#8 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Ok, thanks guys I think ill just walk or just hit cooks bay for perch

#9 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm heading out to Erie Friday for perch, sadly huts have to come off the ice this Friday.

#10 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

i wouldn't go from lakers to cooks bay, lol, probably the worst spot to get big perch, lost of others places to drive on, like vb, or pb, beaverton, etc, possibly even couch, that hold big perch.