• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

Id help out the super noobies. I know basic stuff. Id lend out my fly rod to guys to get a feel for a casting. The Grand is a great idea. Nice and wide and very wade-able. Even the Grand where the Conestoga meets has browns as well. And amazing Bass fishing. Bass on fly is awesome fun.. I surely am down to help out..

#62 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Madoc, Im in 100%

#63 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

I am asking the purpose of this gathering.  I hate to see well-intentioned newbies flayling about, wasting their time and energy and getting frustrated.

I believe the first post suggested putting faces to names, and hoping those with limited or no experience had a chance to exchange information, get help in starting, and learn some basics.  The suggested plan was to meet on the Credit at Erindale because there is lots of lawn space to meet and review equipment set-ups, etc.  If I read it correctly, I think fishing in the river was to be optional, or a time to practice some recently learned techniques.

So if the accent becomes being on the water, probably with moving water and limited space; the effect of weather becomes more important, and the limited space, moving water and difficulty standing together may make some information exchanges difficult.

Maybe it s a good time for some of the folks who thought of gathering to suggest what they would like to see happen. 

#64 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

i imagined it as a meeting in a park type setting to learn a couple things, see some basic setups, and chat.

being in close enough proximity to some water to go apply some of what was learned at our own discretion would be a bonus :)

#65 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

personally, i learned on the water, how the line moves  and reacts in the currents, mending, and avoiding the inevitable brush behind you

#66 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

I hear ya Jacklake, and I'm good with whatever everyone decides, but the grand sure does sound wonderful..

#67 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

well i think the best way to figure out where to go would be to find out where everyone is coming from

#68 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

im nearby the 3 big west tribs(all under an hour drive) here in sauga

but honestly for an event like this i dont mind driving far, even if its 2hrs+

#69 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

Yeah.. Thats true.

#70 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

I live downtown TO, but can travel depending on where we want to do it.

#71 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Im right on the Grand basically. Outside of Cambridge.

#72 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

I would definitely be down in helping out whoever needs it. Madoc and I can try and help as much as our skill level will allow. 
I guess someone needs to take the reins on this and start putting it into motion. This way people can get an idea of date, time, style of meeting and overall objectives. Let alone river, or park. 

#73 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

I would plan this but not sure of good area that allows public access for practicing on grass then going to water to actually catch something that would make a newbie feel awesome if they could learn the technique then catch a fish. 

Even finding a piece of water that is not too deep to wade in then spread out guys practicing to guys trying to catch something. But if its trout the distance should be far to avoid spooking the fish.

I still say where the Conestoga meets The Grand is the best bet maybe.. I could get up there and scout it once the water goes to normal flow.. Theres browns and big bass there. Unless someone fishes it regularly and knows if the area is good?

Just my 0.2. Let me know what you guys think. 

#74 Esoxtrout

Esoxtrout

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

Just to add my 2 cents as well, from the sounds of it you need an open place with parking and water, how about the Elora Flats (Wilsons Flats) just outside of Inverhaugh?  There's also a park in Elora along the Grand with open space to practice casting as well as a park in Fergus along the Grand that has some open space for casting.  

The river is full of public access locations so everyone could team up and try out different locations after the meet up.  And afterwards there's pubs in Elora and Fergus to have a pint and tell fish stories afterwards

The link http://www.grandrive...ters.com/river/   has public access locations.  It's not like the Grand is a secret either it's renowned for its brown trout fishery, and would be able to handle the pressure of a one day outing scattered from Fergus/ Elora/ Inverhaugh etc. 

Hope this helps and I would also be interested in coming out.

#75 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

That sounds pretty good. And thanks for the map. I knew I saw one like that before around on the net but wasn't sure where to get it since the GRCA website is hard to navigate at times.

#76 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

ok, so from the sounds of things, we'll need a park, with casting room, and a spot to fish,  personally i think the grand might be a little too challenging for the first time fly fisher.  i know my local creek theres a really nice park with space for casting, plus easily accessible waters with different types of obstructions in the water and with varying back grounds where you can use a minimum of 3 types of casts, roll cast, steeple cast, and traditional

#77 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

FF where are you located?

#78 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

im in whitby

#79 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

Oh okay.

#80 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Just to add my 2 cents as well, from the sounds of it you need an open place with parking and water, how about the Elora Flats (Wilsons Flats) just outside of Inverhaugh?  There's also a park in Elora along the Grand with open space to practice casting as well as a park in Fergus along the Grand that has some open space for casting.  

The river is full of public access locations so everyone could team up and try out different locations after the meet up.  And afterwards there's pubs in Elora and Fergus to have a pint and tell fish stories afterwards

The link http://www.grandrive...ters.com/river/   has public access locations.  It's not like the Grand is a secret either it's renowned for its brown trout fishery, and would be able to handle the pressure of a one day outing scattered from Fergus/ Elora/ Inverhaugh etc. 

Hope this helps and I would also be interested in coming out.

This sounds awesome!

However what FF has described sounds great too.... I'll be honest, I read "And afterwards there's pubs in Elora and Fergus to have a pint and tell fish stories afterwards" and was sold....