• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

So Im looking into getting a new rotary vise, and was wondering what your opinions are between a danvise and the griffin spyder

#2 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Take a look at the dyna kings as well.

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

i looked at those, out of my price range, i chose those 2 because they are within my price range and have excellent reviews

#4 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

If on a budget take a look at the Anvil Apex, it's what I use and I'm considering getting a second one. It's not a true rotary because the hook shank isn't in line with the rest of the vise but you can adjust it so it works extremely similarly to one, if all you want it for is checking the other side of the fly and occasionally wrapping materials on it will do the job, and it's only $110 :)

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

im 100% on a budget, unless i get a good tax return :D  the anvil is basically the same price range as the other 2.  im looking at the rotary style vises because i'd like to eventually get into tying the UV style bodies

#6 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

You don't have to get a rotary vise for those bodies unless you use epoxy and even then it doesn't matter if the hook is on an exact plane, that's the great part about uv is that you only dry it when you want to!

#7 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

I personally use griffin spyder however I broke the the actual clamp mount for it, I know have it set in a SP excelsior pedestal which I happen to like a lot more. As for the vice its self I cant say anything bad about it although sometimes the fixing of a hook to it can be over complicated with the 2 separate clamping screws. 

#8 BASSNUT

BASSNUT

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

There both good vices .you can't go wrong either of them . I have sold griffin for many years. There are no real bad vices . Pick the one you like..and go with it.

#9 BASSNUT

BASSNUT

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Just ask TRIMIX. He's the vice master :) He owns many. ..many. Vices

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

i've read about the set up of both jaws, but once you have them set for a certain hook size, they're pretty good, just have to take the time to set it up right

#11 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

I have a Danvise and a Griffin Odyssey Cam. I think the steel in the jaws of the Griffin is a bit better. As well, the shaft separates into two pieces so it is useful as a travel vise because if you have both a pedestal and a clamp you can affix it to any table and achieve the best vise height. Their customer service is excellent. However the jaws do not close perfectly parallel so you have to find the sweet spot to hold the hook.

I have tied about 2,000 flies on the Danvise, about 500 of them on the original set-up. I did eventually get the extended jaw holder from Al Beatty for $35 and it was a good upgrade. The tabe clamp that is part of the system is excellent and holds well on any table. The cam is unique, don't over-tighten. It has a progressively stronger pressure the more you apply it (not just a simple on-off pressure), so easy does it. The former owner of Classic and Custom Fly Shop in Connecticut (Dave Goulet) tied 1,000s of flies for his shop on one.

Every rotary vise has a method of applying the right 'drag' pressure so vise can rotate, but also stay in the 'horizontal' position if needed. And most of them use nylon or rubber compression washers, so they all have a soft spot and a firm spot on the rotation regardless of price. Only the Danvise has ball bearings on the shaft.  The only other one worth looking at in the moderate price range is the Peak.

#12 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

I have a Danvise and a Griffin Odyssey Cam. I think the steel in the jaws of the Griffin is a bit better. As well, the shaft separates into two pieces so it is useful as a travel vise because if you have both a pedestal and a clamp you can affix it to any table and achieve the best vise height. Their customer service is excellent. However the jaws do not close perfectly parallel so you have to find the sweet spot to hold the hook.

I have tied about 2,000 flies on the Danvise, about 500 of them on the original set-up. I did eventually get the extended jaw holder from Al Beatty for $35 and it was a good upgrade. The tabe clamp that is part of the system is excellent and holds well on any table. The cam is unique, don't over-tighten. It has a progressively stronger pressure the more you apply it (not just a simple on-off pressure), so easy does it. The former owner of Classic and Custom Fly Shop in Connecticut (Dave Goulet) tied 1,000s of flies for his shop on one.

Every rotary vise has a method of applying the right 'drag' pressure so vise can rotate, but also stay in the 'horizontal' position if needed. And most of them use nylon or rubber compression washers, so they all have a soft spot and a firm spot on the rotation regardless of price. Only the Danvise has ball bearings on the shaft.  The only other one worth looking at in the moderate price range is the Peak.

thanks, I would take that as highly recommending the danvise,, but can;t really go wrong with either choice for that price range?

#13 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

On internet forums and in our own club the Peak vise also gets good reviews and I never hear a complaint.  The only small downside is that you need a material clip which is extra and you should upgrade from the plastic screws to the brass screw kit, which is also extra.  Customer service is prompt and accurate.

#14 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

well after much research, I decided against these 2 vises and went with the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose

#15 Jacklake

Jacklake

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

well after much research, I decided against these 2 vises and went with the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose

So you moved upscale to a top-line vise and will never have to get another.  Excellent!

#16 TRIMIX

TRIMIX

Sunfish

• Premium Account

• 145 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

you will be happy with that vice !

#17 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

yes i did, found a good deal on ebay for one so i went for it, should be here this week or early next week