#1 Jsteelcity

Jsteelcity

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hey Folks,

John here new to the fishing forums

Just bought a new muskie rod and looking for some ideas for a good reel combo for muskie and pike.

Any bait ideas and tips would be great

Bought a 8ft Berkley glowstick

Been using pink and white sluggos for pike and buzz baits have worked well

thanks fellow fisherman comment away

#2 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Id pick up a 4000 size reel. load on 20lb braid with a fluro leader of 15lbs. Depends what you wanna spend for cash on a reel. Shimano makes good reels and they are pretty cheap too pretty expensive. Just make sure its 4k size

Oh and welcome to OFF

#3 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hi Jsteelcity

I'm a hardcore musky guy so I can help you out. 

Muskies are BIG fish, growing up to 60lbs with the average being 10-30lbs.

First off, NEVER USE LIGHT TACKLE! YOU CAN KILL THE FISH!

The longer the fight the more stress is put on them and they sometimes will not recover and could die. Muskies are a top of the line predator and there populations are very sensitive so you must do everything in your power to keep it a healthy fishery.

Here is a list of proper gear to get.

1: Rod, most musky guys will have multiple rods, if you are planning on only getting one then a 8ft MH or H action,2oz-6oz lure rating is a good all around rod but make sure it is a casting rod and not a spinning rod. It makes it way easier to fish with musky sized baits.

2: Reel, you want a good sized QUALITY reel with large line capacity and a good drag system. Baitcasting is almost always preferred. A Diawa Lexa 400, Abu Garcia C3 6500 or Shimano 400D as well as other reels similar to these are good. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON A REEL! Make sure to oil and maintain them as needed.

3: Line, I don't use anything under 80lb braid, 100lb being the standard on all my equipment, it may sound like overkill at first but trust me this is possibly the most important part of the setup. Once again if you use anything lighter you can get snapped off and end up killing a fish.

4: Leaders, I mainly use 130 lb fluorocarbon leaders 12"-18" for casting. Some will use heavy titanium leaders but to be honest I don't like them as they can cut the fish. 36"-72" leaders are used for trolling specifically.

5. Nets, long nose pliers, Mini Bolt or hook cutters and jaw spreaders.

Always use a large net with a heavy netting that doesn't have knots in it so it can protect the fish and its fins, its always best to keep the fish in the water while unhooking it. A pair of long nose pliers to unhook the fish safely. Mini bolt or hook cutters to cut hooks so you can reduce the stress and time it takes to unhook the fish, this is also a lot safer then putting your hands in or near the fishes mouth. Jaw spreaders will help when the lure is deep in the fishes mouth. The last thing you want is a 7/0 hook stuck in your hand with a 40lb musky thrashing around, You'll end up with a trip to the hospital.

6. Handling. Never hold a musky vertically. Always use two hands and support the fish horizontally and minimize the time out of water, especially during the warm water period.

Hopefully this helps.

If you have any other questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

#4 Jsteelcity

Jsteelcity

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

first off thanks for this it was really helpful and secondly  I have some questions about my gear options to see if there standard or maybe below standard from your point of view !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                !    For 1.netting monster pike and musky what's your take on using cradles as opposed to nets and which ones are better ?

2. For line I have been using 20 lbs test with a 100 lbs test braid leader? Any comments

3. med action Berkeley Glow stick 8ft or 7.6 lightning rod Berkeley ? yay or nah (other cheap options)?   And what your take on longer rods I heard a lot pros are using longer rods for more endurance what's your take on that???

4. I was going with the penn pursuit 2 4400 (Reel )but do think its better I go with the next one up 6500? Quantum hot sauce oil I've heard is good for reels and never used it

I know its a lot but I wanted to get your opinions on these  topics ... thanks again                                                                                                                                                                 

#5 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

welcome to the forum bud! 

good luck on getting those monsters lol

ive always wanted to go for some but just never have a good opportunity :(

#6 Jsteelcity

Jsteelcity

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

im hungry for a monster I just need to prepare properly for it so I don't hurt the fish or break my rod or something...

#7 fishforlife

fishforlife

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

minimum 50 pound braid 20 pound test will snap 

#8 hamtownhog

hamtownhog

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

im hungry for a monster I just need to prepare properly for it so I don't hurt the fish or break my rod or something...

I laugh so hard when i read that !

Only because i bought a  boat just for musky and when i thought my setup  was prepared to catch and get the ski  to the side of the boat,  Well i  was not even close to haven the gear to safely remove the small cat size buck tail from the 44 inch gators mouth or safely cradle him to protect the fish...So make sure you think out everything , Spreader for hook removal a cradle is a must ,  But before you can do all that  STOP YOUR BODY FROM SHAKING from the adrenalin  IN ORDER TO SAFELY ACHIEVE ALL THE ABOVE ... 

As for gear 50 to 60 braid with 100 pound fluro leader  And most definitely a 4000 series like others have said for big bearings and lots a line to play with .... Even if you use this rod for big cats or musky its a very wise investment . 

Good Luck 

CHeers ! 

#9 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

first off thanks for this it was really helpful and secondly  I have some questions about my gear options to see if there standard or maybe below standard from your point of view !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                !    For 1.netting monster pike and musky what's your take on using cradles as opposed to nets and which ones are better ?

2. For line I have been using 20 lbs test with a 100 lbs test braid leader? Any comments

3. med action Berkeley Glow stick 8ft or 7.6 lightning rod Berkeley ? yay or nah (other cheap options)?   And what your take on longer rods I heard a lot pros are using longer rods for more endurance what's your take on that???

4. I was going with the penn pursuit 2 4400 (Reel )but do think its better I go with the next one up 6500? Quantum hot sauce oil I've heard is good for reels and never used it

I know its a lot but I wanted to get your opinions on these  topics ... thanks again                                                                                                                                                                 

Old post I know but I thought I'd chime in. First off, listen to EVERYTHING Nick told you! If you're fishing by yourself cradles are almost impossible to use, nets are much easier, even if you do have an extra person to help. 20lb line is way too weak, although you may be able to land a fish on it there's a very high chance you will kill it, 80lb is really the minimum. And for leaders I'd say 100lb FLUOROCARBON is the minimum, a musky will cut that 100lb braid like butter. Medium action rods shouldn't even be considered for musky, at minimum a MH baitcaster is what you need, preferably an actual musky rod. If you want a good rod for a cheaper price look at the mojo musky rods from st croix, I believe they're $120. For a reel, baitcasters will be able to handle heavier lines and they have stronger drag systems, any large baitcaster with good drag will do.

#10 Braedon

Braedon

Sunfish

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

Canadian tire sells a large lucky strike net for about $70 dollars. Long yellow handle, and black rubber mesh. i have one and I landed a 40 inch musky the other day in it with no problems by myself

Here is the link for cabelas

This one has a different mesh bag

http://www.cabelas.c...eavy-salmon-net

#11 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

Canadian tire sells a large lucky strike net for about $70 dollars. Long yellow handle, and black rubber mesh. i have one and I landed a 40 inch musky the other day in it with no problems by myself

Here is the link for cabelas

This one has a different mesh bag

http://www.cabelas.c...eavy-salmon-net

It's better then a trout net sure but I'd say that's still a little small to comfortably fit larger muskie.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: muskie, Reels, Swinbaits, Jerkbaits