Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

curious how deep on average do i need to fish pike on the fly---

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

guess it would depend on how deep the water is, and where the weeds are, but honestly, this time of year they're coming into the shallows to spawn so they'll be more aggressive than normal, so a floating line should be fine with maybe a little bit of weight on the leader to get it down a couple of feet

#3 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

I've hit on Pike using top-water Jitterbugs...it's awesome when they hit!

#4 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

so you use wire with poppers i assume?

#5 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

No need for wire unless you're fishing pike where there is a GOOD chance of a fish over 10 lbs, a 12lb mono leader will do.

#6 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

If your in a river the shallow slow water sections are your best bet 3-7' but in a lake they can be any where between 3&20' so it depends on where they are

#7 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

12lb mono is not abrasion enough for a 2lb pike open mouth head shaking !! I use 12" of 30lb braid or 40lb mono and even then a thrashing 8lb northern will sever it occasionally

#8 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

i am using wire---i just wnted to know how deep i will need to target, i plan on using floating line--i do not like sinking lines...so we will see whts up if they go deep in the summer i willbe better so i can work on SM and LM bass

#9 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Depends when you are fishing for them bud... you're talking about the area I told you about? 

#10 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

I would get some 10' versa tips with sink rates from 3.5-7 inch per second with weighted flies you will get it down to the fish

#11 RobH

RobH

Sunfish

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Depends when you are fishing for them bud... you're talking about the area I told you about? 

Absolutely correct.... and when you are fishing them and what the water temperature is and a myriad of other factors just like any fishing we do.  Pike patterns will change considerably from spring to fall and the body of water will great influence that.

#12 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

12lb mono is not abrasion enough for a 2lb pike open mouth head shaking !! I use 12" of 30lb braid or 40lb mono and even then a thrashing 8lb northern will sever it occasionally

All my pike fishing is done with either 6lb mono or 20 lb mono, I've gotten some good sized fish and have yet to loose a bait. And 12lb mono is way more abrasion resistant than 30lb braid.

#13 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I've lost too many lures bass fishing to pike to know better but if it works for you than keel it up

#14 Rowbow

Rowbow

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

Don't forget to check your leader for scuff's after fighting or catching a pike!  

I forgot and I lost a few fish and flies  :neutral:

#15 streamside88

streamside88

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

honestly i have yet to see a line shy pike i use braid exclusively on pike 30 pound is perfect use it just like a leader..  ( casting) might be a little stiff at first but it will loosen up and pike wont cut the line trust me ,,,, making knots to the fly will be a little difficult i recommend getting mini snaps and clinch noting it to the braid that way you can switch fly's easier... fly fishing for pike is in no way a finesse thing they like erratic flashy flys... as for depth i weight all my flies with led wire and cone head ( i am using en 8 weight with 9 weight bass bug wf line).... and yea thats my set up for pike since i there's lots around my place bass will bite on this set up as well, the braid doesnt seem to affect them either...

example of snaps (get the smallest ones you can find...

https://ca.images.se...9K&fr=yfp-t-715

#16 sLAsh

sLAsh

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

I also use a 20 or 30lb braid when going for pike. While I have lost a few lures through the years the vast majority of the time there is no problems. The ones I do lose are always just a quick tug on the initial strike. I don't think it's a problem of their teeth sawing through the braid but rather when they hit at the head.
For me the extra feel and the ability to get a fish out of the heavy weeds make it a no Brainer to choose it above mono. Since I know I will always tie on a spook at some point in the day I almost never use a leader unless there is a chance I might get into a muskie.