• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TheSkyIsBlue

TheSkyIsBlue

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hey everybody, I'm a newbie and this is my second fishing season. I had a nice friend get me geared up for the the season with some grubs, jigs, plastics, and a slipfloat. He also told me that I have a good chance at getting some good crappie at grenadier in the evening now. Anybody know if the major ice has cleated off of the pond? Any help is appreciated.

#2 w_ boughner

w_ boughner

Perch

• Active Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

You won't have open water for a while .. If your lucky 3-4 weeks

#3 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

you'd be surprised at what a week of +temps could do! If the weather is gonna be as warm as its supposed to, i say 2-3 weeks and the ice will be off the pond fully, maybe even less.

#4 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

after that mass fishkill last summer, the chances of you getting anything out of that pond is slim. Not to mention taking fish is just going to make it even more impossible for the fish population to recover.

#5 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

i agree with the above poster, i would never head to that are for crappies, lots of channels that flow into simcoe that hold huge crappies in very large numbers, not to mention from shore, "hint hint" ;)

#6 TheSkyIsBlue

TheSkyIsBlue

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

If I landed any decent sized fish here, do think it would be sae to take it to dinner?

#7 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

If I landed any decent sized fish here, do think it would be sae to take it to dinner?

Depends - I hear crappies are nice fish - you may want to check with it's parents though and get a curfew. I hear there are some nice restaurants there along bloor!

... sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

better to fish them from aquariums in a supermarket. i know it takes away the joy of fishing but saves you $$$ for medicine.

#9 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

i would definitely not take any fish out of there but its your call man, i don't like to eat fish from dirty water and being that this pond is in Toronto, the water will be dirty. If you want to catch&keep then i would fish waters a bit north from there, at least simcoe, the kawarthas offer fantastic crappie fishing as well, they're definitely a tasty fish, if you get them from clean waters!

#10 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

i fish there maybe 1-2 times a summer on lazy days for carp and occasional pike when bored. tbh ive never seen a crappie come out of there

definitely wouldnt eat out of there. i say if you want some crappie go somewhere more known for them. 

never know though, might turn out to be a great day :)

the pond is good for other fish though.. no doubt!

a bit more lethargic then more wild areas but still fun when time is an issue

#11 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

check the eating fish report, the fish from there are safe to eat. Its your call

#12 nerosrevenge

nerosrevenge

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

Depends - I hear crappies are nice fish - you may want to check with it's parents though and get a curfew. I hear there are some nice restaurants there along bloor!

... sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

Well done sir! I laughed alot.

Steve

#13 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Crappies and other pan fish were the hardest hit by the die off of 2013. They will also be the hardest hit by the winter kill of 2014 that we will see when the ice melts off the pond. Recommend catch and release on the pond this year. If you want crappies of size Lake Simcoe is the place to go.

#14 Drop_Shot

Drop_Shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

If the ferry is in use, your best be is to head over to the Island.. Apparently the fish are safer to eat, and since Lake Ontario is a much much bigger waterway, it won't make a dent on the fish population if you keep your limit... After the fish kill on Grenadier last year, fishermen should avoid keeping anything from there, both for the health of the pond and yourself.

#15 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Save 7 bucks and head down to Ashbridges bay Park in the evening, there's still a few trout kicking around the bay.

#16 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

My god what a tragedy Grenadier pond has become. :cry:

Such a great fishery, but still being completely abused in every fashion. Should have a bumper sticker on that stupid tourist train saying "I SMASH TURTLES"

and MNR is F*N retarded for still allowing people to keep their catches there. That IS NOT what Grenadier pond is about.

Its a glimpse into the world of fishing and the outdoors, especially for the children, and to boot pretty much smack downtown. (*Pretty much*)

I always catch and release EVERYWHERE I fish, as I believe commercial fisheries do a good enough job to feed the masses and already dispose of enough tons of wasted/unsold fish corpses for everyone.

*We all live on this planet together so only use it if you NEED it*  and if you can afford to live and to go fishing in Toronto, you should probably be able to afford some live tilapia from No Frills and such.

Its absolutely ridiculous what is happening there. But anyways, anyone go there in 2014 yet? Love to hear if anything was still being pulled out.  Went after the kill last year and caught a healthy largemouth which made me smile, but I'm curious if there was a winter kill to worry about.... or if its just so far gone that its best to leave alone :cry:

Always loved Grenadier and always will respect the grounds. :razz:

Any updates?

#17 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

well, i went to grenadier pond last week, and saw 1 turtle, a few dead/decaying fish alone the shores (quite possibly due to the super freeze we had over christmas) and didnt catch anything.

fished with buddy for 4 hours, tried everything from live worms to slow-rolling spinnerbaits on the bottom. nothing

saw some other people there fishing. one guy had a crazy spider rig with 6 hooks(legal limit is 4) on it, all baited with some sort of meat . He didnt catch anything either.

Going to try it again in the middle of july, but not expecting too much.

#18 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

well, i went to grenadier pond last week, and saw 1 turtle, a few dead/decaying fish alone the shores (quite possibly due to the super freeze we had over christmas) and didnt catch anything.

fished with buddy for 4 hours, tried everything from live worms to slow-rolling spinnerbaits on the bottom. nothing

saw some other people there fishing. one guy had a crazy spider rig with 6 hooks(legal limit is 4) on it, all baited with some sort of meat . He didnt catch anything either.

Going to try it again in the middle of july, but not expecting too much.

Pretty sure there was a huge winter kill and 99% of the fish died there?

#19 BnK

BnK

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

Yeh definitely. and the year before I think there was something similar but it happened in the summer.

#20 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

there was a huge kill off last summer, and there was also a winter kill. theres still fish in there, just very few.