• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Allan and I went yesterday. Caught 4 each, fairly small as expected. Fished about 4 hrs, left around 1:30 after the wind came up. Aaaah, Mar 26, after cutting thru 2-3 ft of ice, sitting on a bucket in the bright sun with -10 and a wind chill---what's not to like. Ah, Kanada, what a kawntrey!! laugh.gif 

Attached Images

• P3260282.JPG

#2 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

What, you didn't wanna try Silver Lake after my report ?

Nicely done! 

I tried another lake a couple of days ago in punishing conditions. While sitting on my bucket, concentrated on my fish finder, I looked up for a moment and noticed I was in a total whiteout. I kept jigging and I couldn't help but laugh. The joys of ice fishing, indeed, accentuated on those days where you get the brilliant notion to leave the hut in your car despite the minus double digit temps!

#3 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Nice fish

#4 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

I wish I could have gotten out ice fishing one more time before the season is over; but its not gonna happen. Till next year.

No huts in the photo; looks like a beauty day.

#5 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

The tent is in the van! :lol:

It was a great day until the wind came up. Then we just turned our backs to it, and I put on a scarf. The scenery is so beautiful up there that we (and others as well, I guess) are quite reluctant to retreat into a tent. Most guys would seem to prefer sitting in the cold until their gonads retreat back up to their eyeballs to the darkness of a tent. It's hard to argue with that logic if you're Canadian although folks in the Carribean, for e.g., might think differently!! :D  

#6 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

I can tell you you're too deep, I was in that spot a few hours before you got there (except shallower) and we got 11 in 3 hours.

#7 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Ah, never mind, a day after you guys, but you're still too deep ;)

#8 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

So how deep were we?

#9 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

lol, my bet is you guys were at 140-160 feet, not the best spot but theres fish everywhere, so don't bash them Chris, lol! I was there last weekend around that spot and we got a few, BTW: nice fish guys! If you want something of a better size, try a gold williams spoon or a badboy with a tube, tipped with a minnow.

#10 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Nice fish guys!

#11 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

lol, my bet is you guys were at 140-160 feet, 

Nope---you are allowed 2 more guesses! Tried Willams, no luck that day. Got 1 small one on it on the prev trip.

#12 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Lol, don't forget that there's drop offs that go from 50-100 feet within 10 metres lol! I can't imagine it being over 200 feet because I drilled everywhere around there but who knows maybe you foundyet another drop off haha. I mostly fish on the other side from where you were fishing. You went left I stick to straight ahead usually. Anyways you should be fishing around 60-140 that's where they are more aggressive and in better sizes I find. If you go to the right towards that point from where you were fishing it goes shallow and there are big ones in around 80 feet

#13 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

Ok, so what's your second guess then??

#14 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

I'm gonna guess 1 foot deep, Bob.

Looks like the weather cooperated - looking good

#15 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

I can tell you you're too deep

I'm baffled how you could arrive at that conclusion, they got 8 flippin' fish. 

The entire area is productive. Liger and his buddies, who are locals and really know that spot well, were fishing in the deeper water slightly further from shore, when I saw them there. 

Knuguy - that looks shallow to me, I'd guess between 60 to 90 ft. 70ft is my guess. 

#16 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

110 feet, maybe 120 is my guess, we were getting them in 50-60.

#17 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

the fish are everywhere, they go around in large quantities on joe but, there are certain spots where the fish tend to hang in more then others, like Chris's spot for example. You will get fish everywhere, its just in one spot, you will get 1-10 in another you will get 20+. I wouldn't guess as shallow as 70, i fish that side often but more so towards the middle, straight from the access point, a little to the left sometimes, they bite well almost non-stop in the morning very shallow in certain spots, than in the afternoon, they are everywhere but not very aggressive usually so you have to work for them more. Also, in that area they are in it can be very deep, i wouldn't call less then 100 and more then 200 but i would guess closer to 200, but again its almost impossible to tell for sure because if you go to that area, drill a few holes and check them with the finder, you'll be surprised at how much the depth will jump.

#18 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

My guess is 85-90 feet

#19 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

My guess is 85-90 feet

Yep---90 ft!.

I'm surprised CK couldn't explicitly calc the depth using an algorithm  based on (1) number of fish caught (2) arrival and departure times (3) temp and win chill factor (4) UIV index .  It would be safe to neglect the volume of coffee drunk on the way up and the resultant inattention to our lines during the inevitable pee breaks. :lol:  :D

BTW---I know a couple of guys who went Sun and said they caught about 10 each in 120 FOW.