• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RikDaniel

RikDaniel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Heading up to access point 17 in algonquin in May. Anyone travel that rd before (major lake rd) an is it drivable without an SUV?
Thanks and good fishing!

#2 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Id make it late may ice out up there will be surely late this year. People still ice fishing up there. 

The permit office is up that way and parking it should be maintained. I have been been up that way but in the fall and its fine by car. Id call ahead to a local office up in that area. 

#3 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Oh and another thing the road is paved then turns to gravel. Once you get closer to the office it turns into gravel.

#4 RikDaniel

RikDaniel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Glad to hear that, thanks. I'll be heading up May 19 so I'm hoping for the best. Have you camped out on farm before?

#5 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

Nope. Can't remember where it was when I stayed. We walked to a lake and camped there for a few days then left.

#6 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Very drivable.  I took it up to park boundaries but never inside.  Beautiful gravel road very well maintained.  Check reports before heading out - last years flood waters took out numerous roads around that area.

#7 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

last years flood waters took out numerous roads around that area.

Yeah I had to move the date last year from that. Best to call ahead instead of driving hours and hours to find out you can't get in there.

#8 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

:lol: Same here -  don't think we got out until mid May because of the washouts.  Almost here gents... just about a month to go :mrgreen:

#9 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

I'm heading to access point 3 in July!! :mrgreen:

#10 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

:lol: Same here -  don't think we got out until mid May because of the washouts.  Almost here gents... just about a month to go :mrgreen:

Yeah was a pisss off.

#11 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

@Klenier - great area!  What are you chasing?

@Kit - ya bud... we had a good trip then, what were you chasing?

#12 RikDaniel

RikDaniel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Going for pike but wouldn't mind a nice trout as well I guess ;) any pointers or info you'd like to share? Pm me if you'd like. Thanx kit

#13 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

@Klenier - great area! What are you chasing?

targeting lake trout and brookies

#14 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

@Kleiner - great water around there with some famous brookie lakes - shouldn't have a problem finding them ;)

@Rik - if you wanna catch trout send me a message and I'll give you a few pointers.  You are going at the time when they are easiest to catch

www.algonquinmap.com - Algonquin trippers best friend

#15 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

if you call algonqiun they are pretty good for knowing road conditions. such a amazing place, i wish i could make it up there every year. one of the few places i can go and not catch fish and still have a amazing trip. I've had moderate success with lake trout on almost all of the lakes, brook trout on the other hand……. i wish :P

#16 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Brookies and Bass.

#17 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

@Kleiner - great water around there with some famous brookie lakes - shouldn't have a problem finding them ;)

@Rik - if you wanna catch trout send me a message and I'll give you a few pointers. You are going at the time when they are easiest to catch

www.algonquinmap.com - Algonquin trippers best friend

ya I went to the same place last year and had no problem finding brookies, didn't hook into any lakers though. It sure would be nice to have some depth charts of those lakes, would make things a hell of a lot easier.

#18 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

if you call algonqiun they are pretty good for knowing road conditions. such a amazing place, i wish i could make it up there every year. one of the few places i can go and not catch fish and still have a amazing trip. I've had moderate success with lake trout on almost all of the lakes, brook trout on the other hand……. i wish :P

haha I'm the opposite, catching the brookies and can't find the lakers, lol. Sounds like we need to go together!

#19 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

Ouch - no back country permits or campgrounds open until May 9 unless things change.

http://www.algonquin...2014_update.php

#20 Drift king

Drift king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

i know a small lake in algonquin  we hookup last year with specks 2 to 5 lb  1 camp site on lake it was a blast