• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Drift king

Drift king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

hagi135 come see drift king i will take u out and show u some stuff  and that goes for all members the king know steels???????????????????

#22 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

theres so much info on the net now you don't even need to ask… literally google "lake ontario steelhead" there will be countless videos of people fishing and filming at damns,  hell theres even a write up from the town of clarington about where when and how to catch steelhead. i get asking for conditions because nothings worse than wasting gas and half your day to find nothing but chocolate milk. I e-mailed one of these new guys the other day about conditions and didn't even get a darn thanks! i kind of get the feeling that the people asking these questions are the same loogans dragging salmon in by the tail all day long. 

#23 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

there is this web site called google man it does wonders you just have to type in steelhead in ontario. Kinda pissed all this Information wasn't there when i started fishing would have saved me so much footwork and wasted gas :neutral:

#24 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

Where's that?

its in the river that connects eerie to ontario with a famous attraction (i cant mention names)

#25 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

Lol you could name it, EVERYBODY knows it lol.

#26 mcfly

mcfly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

I have a simple rule.  if you drive me, i will go fishing with you.   :cool:   And if I am fishing, I am trying to catch fish!  If I am driving, we will leave in the afternoon HAHAHAHAHA

#27 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

I appreciate the comments and help everyone, thank you. Though I don't see how some fishing newbies (like myself) would be able to contribute to these forums if we are just starting to learn. I'd love to give tips and help to others if I had any lol. I've been fishing recreationally for a few years and looking to explore some more now. I'm used to fishing off docks at cottages mostly and am looking to get more into the sport, i'd love to learn more about river fishing and hopefully one day I can share some information with all of you.

I can relate to what you're saying. I've fished for steelhead twice. Literally 2 times so I don't know anything or have much to sure. But i ask things and bug some people via PM and honestly, the replies when I started versus the replies I get now are vastly different.

I'd like to think that is because I'm replying and just being part of the overall forum and when I have info, I'd have no issues returning the favour to those who have helped and others in general.

I didn't and still don't expect Gps coordinates. But a nod in the general location of an area helps us noobs out. I'll do the leg work from there. If there aren't any nods.. Then I'll try a spot out and ask about that place that I tried. At least it shows your making an attempt on your own before asking.

It's a give and take community, and right now I'm taking more than giving but that'll change soon. Cause.. I bought Waders and poop so I'm a pro now. ;)

#28 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

anyone who fishes east can feel free to pm me whenever to ask for advice, i was once a begginer and didnt have too much help, so i have no problem with helping others 

#29 GB2pair

GB2pair

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hi All,

I wanted to share some of my tips and tactics for the trout season, especially for some of the new people to trout fishing, we were all beginners once. I grew up doing most of my salmon and trout fishing in the Owen Sound area.  I’ve lived in Toronto for 4 years and I’m trying to get back into some trout fishing in this area.

First equipment, I’m using one of my favourite rods ever; 9’6’’ Shimano Canadian Northern Series light action and my Shimano Stradic 2500Fl with trilene sensation 6lbs mono. I prefer the Trilene sensation when fishing the rivers as when I’m fishing I hold the line in my opposite hand, so I can feel the lightest of bumps and hits. Also, don’t forget a small portable chair or stool when you go, you will thank yourself after a few hours of standing.

Baits. Traditionally, a roe bag (which floats) with a river float and one or two small split shot sinkers 16-18 inches above a circle hook is my first choice.  If the river is moving quickly, I use 3-4 different size split shot sinkers, spaced 4-8inches apart, starting with a larger split shot near the top of your line and the last and smallest sinker roughly 16-24 inches from your hook. Other options included using a single egg approach, marshmellows, corn, yarn, etc (most things that float). The trusty earthworm is always an option as well, but for me, I prefer roe bags.

When the fishing gets tough, I often go to the single egg and I might even add some yarn (various colours, pink is one of the best) or add some dyed buck hair which has worked for me in the past. I have even floated some flies on occasion when the fishing is very tough.

Lures and artificial baits. I will use artificial trout worms or spawn especially a day or two after a good rain, as many worms will wash into the river and the fish will be feeding on them on days after a solid rain. Again, I have added some yarn or buck hair to change the presentation is some cases. When there is enough space to cast, I enjoy casting some small in line spinners, spoons and small rapalas which I’ll add single eggs to the hooks and just float that down the river. Occasionally, I will use small jigs and either trout worms or small grubs (like Mr. Twister). My go to colours are pink, orange, blue, white and chartreuse.

hope this helps,

Gavin

gallery_22949_131_4834.jpggallery_22949_131_22346.jpggallery_22949_131_12354.jpg

#30 JDean

JDean

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Gavin.  Glad to hear someone else still loves the classsics.  I too still have a 9'6" Shimano Canadian Northern Series rod.  I just love the rod and the series of rods.  Had a 11'6" as well and wish I still had it.  Now my son has my 9'6"er to learn on  We will see how he does this spring with a long rod.

#31 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

Check this site before heading out to the river you wanna fish.

http://www.wateroffi..._by=p&region=ON

#32 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

Managed to head out early morning yesterday. Still fast running murky water. no takers. a few anglers in the water....Just when everything looks promising, we have a week of pure rain...this just makes the opener so much exciting.

#33 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Check this site before heading out to the river you wanna fish.

http://www.wateroffi..._by=p&region=ON

Solid link, PUMP. Thanks for sharing!

Managed to head out early morning yesterday. Still fast running murky water. no takers. a few anglers in the water....Just when everything looks promising, we have a week of pure rain...this just makes the opener so much exciting.

So if i'm understanding how opener will go, due to all this rain, them steelheads will be dispersed quite a bit and for long stretches of the river and not all pooled at the mouth of the tribs, correct? 

#34 guzatron

guzatron

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Best part of the opener is finding good pools far away from everyone stacked with fish, last year water was low and clear on Huron Tribs but was getting fish farrr from the mouth

#35 guzatron

guzatron

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Best part of the opener is finding good pools far away from everyone stacked with fish, last year water was low and clear on Huron Tribs but was getting fish farrr from the mouth

#36 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

So if i'm understanding how opener will go, due to all this rain, them steelheads will be dispersed quite a bit and for long stretches of the river and not all pooled at the mouth of the tribs, correct? 

Due to the rains, fast running murky water - more fish are able to slip thru open areas and make it to the "promise land"...and opener, you would want to be far from the mouth. the beauty of opener is there's endless water to cover. you can either head for the popular pools and join the party or hike some more for a more peaceful fishing experience your choice.

#37 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

That's exactly what i wanted to hear. Thank you!

#38 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

circle hooks and marshmallows. deadly.

#39 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Western Trib totally blown to Hades! Went to a park at lunch today and not a soul to be seen fishing. Made me think I should take my kayak to work...but I'm thinking that work might object for me being gone most of the day! LOL!

#40 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

I appreciate the comments and help everyone, thank you. Though I don't see how some fishing newbies (like myself) would be able to contribute to these forums if we are just starting to learn. I'd love to give tips and help to others if I had any lol. I've been fishing recreationally for a few years and looking to explore some more now. I'm used to fishing off docks at cottages mostly and am looking to get more into the sport, i'd love to learn more about river fishing and hopefully one day I can share some information with all of you.

Reading existing threads, but also being mindful of the rules. 

There is a balance on OFF. No one is expecting anyone to be born an expert. 

Think of this board as a "Take a penny, leave a penny" Change thing that used to be found at alot of convenience stores. 

Only diff is you need to put the first penny in!