• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mac20062

mac20062

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hey guys, stopped by Mountsberg today and took a few shots while walking along the shoreline and I am more than happy to say that I did not notice any dead fish as of yet... Due to the lake just starting to thaw out. I will make another trip out there next week with follow up pics.

Windy day....

Attached Images

• 20140405_1502001.jpg
  • 20140405_1502151.jpg
  • 20140405_1502241.jpg

#2 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Thank-you sir.  I was thinking about the Mountsberg the other day.

Can't wait to get out there from some panfish... and May pike.  Hopefully enough made it through the winter.

#3 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

Good to hear...let's hope it hasn't lost to many fish

#4 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

Im suprised. They should be fine now. With that chunk open some oxygen getting in.

#5 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info, keep us updated.

#6 Rowbow

Rowbow

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

Phew, the title of this had me worried.

#7 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

When I read the title and noticed there was pictures attached, my heart skipped a beat! Phew, what a releif! I would hope the dam and smaller feeder rivers would help Mountsberg not freeze over everywhere 100%. These pockets may of saved alot of fish!

Lookin forward to May!

#8 Drop_Shot

Drop_Shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Nice!! Good to see... Thanks for the report.

#9 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Tell us if you see any alive fish or catch any

#10 Jsteelcity

Jsteelcity

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

that's what I meant on the previous question post (mountsberg )about this lake the rocks that continue on to the shore for structure finding

#11 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Dropped in on Mountsberg today.

The shoreline is pretty much wide open.  Still a lot of ice in the middle, but it looks like its been melted away a lot.

Saw two dozen people fishing the dam base.  All 2" stick and crank baits.  Only saw one guy with a panfish setup fishing the open shore at the top of the dam.  A lot of scuzzy looking people and OOS fishing going in buckets.  Mountsberg, what else is new?

No dead fish on shore and no trash yet.  It may be a good year at Mountsberg afte all.

#12 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Dropped in on Mountsberg today.

The shoreline is pretty much wide open.  Still a lot of ice in the middle, but it looks like its been melted away a lot.

Saw two dozen people fishing the dam base.  All 2" stick and crank baits.  Only saw one guy with a panfish setup fishing the open shore at the top of the dam.  A lot of scuzzy looking people and OOS fishing going in buckets.  Mountsberg, what else is new?

No dead fish on shore and no trash yet.  It may be a good year at Mountsberg afte all.

Not being racist or anything here... but let me guess... they were Asian?

You should of called MNR on them... or even went over to the park and got authorities. That pisses me off. We go and pay for a license, do all that is needed to be done to fish legally and this happens....

#whitebucketbrigade #gohome

#13 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Good to hear. Is a boat/ canoe required there?

#14 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

You should of called MNR on them... or even went over to the park and got authorities. That pisses me off. We go and pay for a license, do all that is needed to be done to fish legally and this happens....

#whitebucketbrigade #gohome

Lol I didn't want to step on that land-mine, but I did.

Actually, I saw no Asian people to my recollection.  Most,if not all the scuzzy OOS anglers were likely Hamilton/Halton/GTA white trash out for a spring time free-for-all.  Oh, I heard one language that wasn't English, but it is the GTA after all.  Judging by the clean looking plastic tackle boxes and cheap looking rods, I'd say most were just dimwits who have no clue about licensing, regulations or fishing in general.

#15 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

I would highly recommend one.  No gas engines.  Electric is ok. 

There is limited shore fishing, but it fills up pretty quick.

#16 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

Actually, I saw no Asian people to my recollection. 

Sometimes its better to keep certain things to yourself. 

#17 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Brian, you are right.

I regret bringing up the out of season angling in the first place.

#18 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

Sometimes its better to keep certain things to yourself. 

I didn't mean to be offensive, I'm just sick and tired of watching people come with buckets and leave full of fish... and those people from my expereinces have mostly been Asian.. It's their culture and how they "Do things".

Every trip I make to mountsberg I see it. EVERY. TRIP.

#19 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:31 AM

its handy but you can bushwack to almost 80% of the good areas and reach them rather easily from shorecasting.

the railroad -both sides- contrary to what people there will tell you.. that weedy side has open pockets that hold TONNES of fish.just make sure to gear up or theyll pull you into 5 pounds of bush and youll most likely break off and leave the fish in a bad place.

not to mention many secret spots :)

as to the scumbags that are prevalent there. call the mnr. if they keep getting calls it will be looked into eventually. 

more then once ive witnessed them handing out fines to the odd group of retards breaking the rules there so im sure they are aware its bad there.

another place nearby that ill just call the quarry has just as bad a reputation for idiots. even some of the usual suspects from the berg will be there.

and stop with that "let me guess they were..." garbage. to be frank ive seen every background act like trash. its not a cultural thing its a personal issue

theres good and bad people. thats it.

#20 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

I took a trip to mountsberg today to enjoy the amazing weather.... and I was disgusted with what I saw....

Im not too sure if you have ever been to mountsberg, however there is a darn on the back corner. With the water levels so high, they were draining the lake into a small river, verry shallow, rocky and filled with debris. As they had the pump on pumping water out of the darn, tons of pike went with the water. As I am aware about the lacking fish population at mountsberg at times, I decided to catch what I could and carry it back up the dam and release it back into the lake. As we were doing this, a fellow fisherman caught the biggest pike I have seen come out of mountsberg.. with a bit of encouragement, he also carried it back up and released it into the lake. I could see 3-4 dead pike already. The river they were getting pumped into.. would not be grounds for survival. In a about an hour and a half me and 2 of my buddies caught 10-15 pike and released the majority of them.

To the left of this picture, that is where the water was being pumped out of, the lake water height was at the top of the dam wall

In the summer, there isn't anywhere near as much water there... as it is just a tiny shallow stream when they aren't draining the lake.

http://prntscr.com/3c95ns

http://prntscr.com/3c9602

http://prntscr.com/3c963t

One of the smaller guys we caught : http://prntscr.com/3c968p

I was dissapointed as to what were happening to the pike.... I feel that the conservation should have some kind of fish net up around the water trap to prevent things like this from hapening. There was also a tiny perch swimming around. I did however fish the lake for 2 hours without a single hit. No reports of winterkill however so that is good!

Matt