• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hi I'm new to steel head and salmon fishing and need some advice as to which store bought cure however I am also open to home brews if anyone have any advise please let me know but right now I'm thinking of the pautzke cure but not sure which one

#2 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

i used the natural one! some people may not share their own personal brew to others, although a little bit of research at google and youtube should yield a few suggestions for you, ill say just try small batches at a time then pick which one works out for you! hope this helps!

#3 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

no cure! on loose eggs just water harden them with sea salt and ice cold water, leave for 6 hours, dry very well and then freeze them in a vac bag with only a single layer of eggs.

lasts for a year and they stay as fresh as the day u got them!

#4 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

no cure! on loose eggs just water harden them with sea salt and ice cold water, leave for 6 hours, dry very well and then freeze them in a vac bag with only a single layer of eggs.

lasts for a year and they stay as fresh as the day u got them!

How do you know when they're done right?  Should the eggs be hard to burst?

#5 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

How do you know when they're done right?  Should the eggs be hard to burst?

that i think should be the final product, but my roe turned out squingy but still a bit tough, just not as " presentable as the store bought ones" but mine gets hit as well so i guess there is still some magic in my roe,

#6 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

i used the natural one! some people may not share their own personal brew to others, although a little bit of research at google and youtube should yield a few suggestions for you, ill say just try small batches at a time then pick which one works out for you! hope this helps!

Which natural one the fire cure or borax o fire

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

Also any other time I've tried to cure roe it's turn out like raisens

#8 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

I use the natural fire cure, with a bit of the orange mixed in. I basically follow the directions, going a bit light with the amount of cure per pound. Its takes a day or to for the juice to suck back in to the eggs. I have the best luck with scrape or skein with the FC.not so much with loose eggs, but I dont really like mature eggs anyway. And i have my share of 20+ fish days with my eggs

#9 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Also any other time I've tried to cure roe it's turn out like raisens

you are probably putting too much chemical. Go easy. A pound is quite a bit of eggs and you only need a fat teaspoon for a pound

#10 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

I use the natural fire cure, with a bit of the orange mixed in. I basically follow the directions, going a bit light with the amount of cure per pound. Its takes a day or to for the juice to suck back in to the eggs. I have the best luck with scrape or skein with the FC.not so much with loose eggs, but I dont really like mature eggs anyway. And i have my share of 20+ fish days with my eggs

same here, my scrape eggs turned out better than the loose roe that i cured last year, mind you i never frozen my roe, and they are still quite round, unlike the loose eggs that turned out a little raisin like, i definitely did something wrong,

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

I freeze mine in 1/2 pint jars. And then sometimes Re-freeze tied bags 5 or 6 times and it doesn't seem to affect it

#12 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=yPsryzBUUpk

#13 Drift king

Drift king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

salt and water is the best fish love salt if u want to know how pm me and i will tell u

#14 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

My laziness dictates my cure.  Typically I dont cure them at all but if I'm feeling extra productive I use a salt brine, let them sit for a few hours in that... allow them dry out on newspaper in moist area for around 24 hours ( at this point they aren't oozing - just moist enough ) - saran wrap into small packets and into the freezer they go. 

#15 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

K

#16 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts