32 replies to this topic

#1 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hello!

im new here but i have a few questions....

does anyone know good spots for catfishing around zone16? im located between hamilton and st catherines. would i have any luck trying today or should i wait for warmer weather

#2 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

watch italo labingnans videos, or better yet message him

#3 buckhorn-bassin

buckhorn-bassin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

If you have a boat Jordan harbour is the place to go in the spring.. Some real tanks swimming around in there

#4 Jsteelcity

Jsteelcity

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

princess point Hamilton has been known for some big cats ... under the York street bridge

#5 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

If you have a boat Jordan harbour is the place to go in the spring.. Some real tanks swimming around in there

would it be on the outside or the inside of the harbour? :)

#6 buckhorn-bassin

buckhorn-bassin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Inside the harbour .. Not sure what the ice situation is like right now.. But I'm looking forward to going myself.. Hook and bobber something stinky for bait is all you need

#7 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

Inside the harbour .. Not sure what the ice situation is like right now.. But I'm looking forward to going myself.. Hook and bobber something stinky for bait is all you need

I went there with a buddy the other day, ice is all cleared up, just giving it a few days of warm weather before i go

#8 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

I went there with a buddy the other day, ice is all cleared up, just giving it a few days of warm weather before i go

Hey buddy I am a fellow Channel Cat fisher in the area.

I concur that Jordan will hold some large ones soon, as will Cootes Paradise in Hamilton/Princess Point, as will a number of other areas. Our biggest in Jordan about 15 lbs. Cootes 12.

Usually the Kitties start to show up at the end of Apr. or early May, with the winter we have just survived I think they may be a bit late, but that isn't going to stop me, I will be out trying my early season hot-spot this Sunday :) I have a spot where they stage before the spawning run begins near Hamilton.

Dunnville is famous for some giants up to 20 some odd lbs, but I have yet to experience that area.

Alfie.

#9 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

good advice with jordan harbour. i've heard about the cats being pulled from there. nice sizes. i've considered taking my inflatable in there. maybe this year.

regarding princess point. are you allowed to launch from there and fish cootes? and what about the channel there that runs along the expressway? can you take a boat down there? is it deep enough? is it just cats basically there or can you find some drum, etc?

this is where i'm talking on the map:

https://www.google.c...6e4e701b99f6772

#10 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

As far as I know you cannot use a motorized boat in Cootes unless you are with the RBG. Canoes and rowboats are good.
Besides Kitties there are indeed Drum, plenty of Carp, a few Pike, and even some Chrahemm pass thru at times.

Alfie.

#11 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

Huge ones can be pulled out of dunnville and jordan. Best bait is dead minnows (buy from grocery store or pick them up at the whirlpool on the shore there are tons of them usually), cut them up, put them on a sliding sinker rig and a circle hook. Launch it out and wait. BTW, princess point is BRUTAL for snags!

#12 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Huge ones can be pulled out of dunnville and jordan. Best bait is dead minnows (buy from grocery store or pick them up at the whirlpool on the shore there are tons of them usually), cut them up, put them on a sliding sinker rig and a circle hook. Launch it out and wait. BTW, princess point is BRUTAL for snags!

As I have mentioned many times before, frozen sardines from the grocery store. Cut them in 1 inch cubes, hook them and the Cats will come. They stink and the Kitties will come from miles.

Shrimp frozen from the grocery not a bad second option.

Alfie.

#13 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hey buddy I am a fellow Channel Cat fisher in the area.

I concur that Jordan will hold some large ones soon, as will Cootes Paradise in Hamilton/Princess Point, as will a number of other areas. Our biggest in Jordan about 15 lbs. Cootes 12.

Usually the Kitties start to show up at the end of Apr. or early May, with the winter we have just survived I think they may be a bit late, but that isn't going to stop me, I will be out trying my early season hot-spot this Sunday :) I have a spot where they stage before the spawning run begins near Hamilton.

Dunnville is famous for some giants up to 20 some odd lbs, but I have yet to experience that area.

Alfie.

I usually fish the jordan harbour on a weekly basis because i live close. would it be best to fish the inside or the outside of the harbour?

#14 thebigchombowombocombo

thebigchombowombocombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

Shrimp...Minnows...Sardines...Chicken Liver....Worms....Cut Sucker....Hotdogs...Catfish eat just about anything lmao. You guys make it seem like they're finicky =P

#15 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

I usually fish the jordan harbour on a weekly basis because i live close. would it be best to fish the inside or the outside of the harbour?

I fish there with a friend who has a row-boat. We launch from the conservation area? on the west side, I believe. We fish inside of the QEW, meaning away from Lake O.

The 15 lber my friend got fought for 20 minutes and towed our boat from the west shore out to the middle of the harbor and then soaked us both before I could get the net around him. Good times.

Alfie.

#16 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Shrimp...Minnows...Sardines...Chicken Liver....Worms....Cut Sucker....Hotdogs...Catfish eat just about anything lmao. You guys make it seem like they're finicky =P

Actually, as a regular Kitty fisher because I have access to places where they are. Cats can be quite finicky at times. Often I go to places I know they are and start out with 1 bait and get nothing for an hour, but a quick switch of bait results in Pussy galore :lol: .

Alfie.

#17 iceman007

iceman007

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Has anyone tried bathroom conservation?

#18 iceman007

iceman007

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

#19 iceman007

iceman007

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Binbrook

#20 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

I'm going to the inside of the jordan harbour in a few minutes, ill let you guys know how it goes