• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

G'morning!  Can someone please PM me and let me know how far north steelhead travel in my local creek?   I want to get as far away from the CN bridge as possible...

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

Get in your car and drive - you're lazy! :mrgreen:

#3 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

Get in your car and drive - you're lazy! :mrgreen:

LOL, Im not lazy.....I just dont want to travel and camp so far that I pass the fish entirely!  My first opener....'member?

#4 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Well, the water is going to clear up in the higher sections this week, after tonight there isn't much rain in the forecast. There will be time to scout. 

Some years, you'll find them in large numbers spawning in March way upstream. This year is a much later run. They'll just be arriving in some of the higher sections now and in the coming days. 

Many will swim as far as they can, until they literally can't get any further. They'll venture off the main path and take forks as necessary. 

Scouting is like a roll of the dice, you just get in the car and drive around, until you find places you want to fish come opener. If you're lucky, there won't be a throng of people there to join you. 

#5 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

Well, the water is going to clear up in the higher sections this week, after tonight there isn't much rain in the forecast. There will be time to scout. 

Some years, you'll find them in large numbers spawning in March way upstream. This year is a much later run. They'll just be arriving in some of the higher sections now and in the coming days. 

Many will swim as far as they can, until they literally can't get any further. They'll venture off the main path and take forks as necessary. 

Scouting is like a roll of the dice, you just get in the car and drive around, until you find places you want to fish come opener. If you're lucky, there won't be a throng of people there to join you. 

Thanks, thats really useful info! 

#6 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

I hope you're right about this.

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

well as of april 12 there were 171 fish over the dam on one of the east tribs........this same time last year there were 5000 fish over.  the ground is still frozen 3-5 inches down, theres a lot snow still in the head water areas.  just because theres supposedly no rain in the forecast (no one knows for sure) doesn't mean the rivers will be cleared up, melting snow in the headlands will dirty up the water and make them high

#8 Drift king

Drift king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

sorry to say but this year wont be good  for us  igot rivers 3to5 metors hi stop by one of my trib and the steels cant make it up past dam lots jumping in the river  it will be a late run?????? late runs suck

#9 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

I think the higher waters will be clear enough for scouting this week, doesn't mean they won't dirty up again if and when it rains more.

If you know where they're holding, coloured water blows clear water out of the park for steelheading, but you don't want it to be totally raging. 

I fish fairly far upstream on opener, and in 2011 a lot of fresh fish had just made it to my spot on opener. It will be similar this year. All of May is going to be good, even into June. 

Some people don't fish for them in the Spring, to each their own. For those who do, your arms and reels are going to get a workout.

#10 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

opener should be great this year, the key thing is to keep walking. I've had days where some one walked by me and said " nope to late, they all must have headed back from last week". sure enough they were another km up! the muddy water should help as as i don't believe the trout will spawn it it, they will be waiting until the water clears up, then they'll find there desired redds within a week or so. but lots will be hanging out in the pools come opener as long as we don't get a heat wave. I've seen the same trout in the same pool for a week and a half straight. theres a lot of mis conceptions when it comes to spring trout.

#11 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

as long as the water is over a foot deep and over a foot wide, there will likely be fish there, the creek i fish on opener is a mid sized creek, about 20 ams up from the lake, can t even see it on g-maps, it connects to a tiny stream that is half a foot wide and the steelies jam themselves in there and get stuck al the time, every opener, i grab them and put them in the main river, otherwise they just get stuck and die, they will go until they die, literally. 

#12 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Based on what I saw this weekend and knowing the opener is less 12 days away. The waters were C milk and raging. Fish we spotted were all holding, they couldnt even if they wanted to make it very far. 

As time unfolds as others have said, waters clear up they will be on the move. I was only able to catch a glimpse of Tail and dorsal fins this weeekend. Could not see in the water at all. Not even 6".

To answer your question-its a waiting Game FG. No one can answer for sure. Its dictated by the weather/water levels.

This will be a stellar year for fishing, but I am 99% sure it will be 1-2 days tops. 

#13 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

They go farther than you think FG, I see them WAY up on north golf courses well into May

#14 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

there wont be any fish this year, everyone should just stay home. the only good fishing days will be opening weekend, as close to the mouth as possible. After the weekend, pack up your gear till the fall

This will be a spring where the experienced fisherman will shine. I hope the water is black on opening weekend.

#15 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

FG, theres a good chance unless you drive ridiculously far youll still be in a good section. best bet is to take a day and go scout some pools a few days before and make some mental notes about where you want to be.

ive already seen fish well up in my local trib. almost an hour drive north of where the current boundary stands.

or you know just lurk around and someone will spill the beans.lol. itll happen

#16 Shmogley

Shmogley

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

and all this people saying there no fish. seriously come on. give your head a shake and dont give up so easily.

ive only been skunked once since march. yea maybe not 5-10 fish days yet but theres fun to be had and fish to land.

#17 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

i think that u r the only fisherman in Ontario catching fish!

#18 Shmogley

Shmogley

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

starting to think your masterplan is to get everyone to stay home so you got all the pools to yourself ;)

#19 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

yes I am joking. I fish gbay and huron so I don't have to worry as much about people as lake Ontario fisherman. This will be the best spring fish in decades! maybe not just on opening weekend.

#20 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

All the high water means that there are fewer obstacles in front of the fish. I'll be exploring waaaay upstream