• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Do you guys use a net when landing pike or carp?

I just learned yesterday that my small net cant handle long and heavy fish

I don't usually use net when landing fish though I always bring one. Some spots at the bluffs you would need a net to land them. I don't take them out of the water most of the time unless I wanna take a picture. My son wanted to net it when he's not getting any luck.

Attached Images

• Stefan.jpg

#42 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

Carp: always
Pike: depends on size, but usually yah.

Also use an unhooking mat.

I always release though, so for me personally the less time I spend handling the fish by hand, the better it is for their well being.

They ways I see some anglers handle their bass and other species is sometimes appalling -_-

#43 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

DILLI, that's the same net I own and I'm thinking of getting a bigger one with a deeper mesh.

I gotta find one that's long enough with a deeper pocket and rubber netting.

Can you guys recommend any that wont break the bank?

I wanna use it while fishing the shore of lake ontario where they have those 5ft drop offs.

#44 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

@carp addiction...bass has very flexible mouth and you can grab it by the lip. that's a big no no for pike. they're teeth are hidden but very sharp and points inwards. I saw a dude grab it once (bluffers park) like it was a bass...that was painful to watch literally.

@pump...this was the cheapest net i can get but yeah it's still short. but i don't use net most of the time.

#45 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Do you guys use a net when landing pike or carp?

I just learned yesterday that my small net cant handle long and heavy fish

Only when im fishing from a boat and cant be in the water when it comes to pike. I tend to use a cradle net that's meant to keep them comfortable and straight I have one somewhere around the house that folds up but if I am wading for them I will just unhook em in the water and let them be on their way.

#46 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

I get that bass have soft/flexible lips, but its still just good practice imo to cradle their undersides while 'lipping' them.

I've seen firsthand a fisherman kill a bass by holding it just by the lip -must have been atleast 3-4 lbs,  and on a horizontal angle, without cradling it.

I was very closeby admiring his catch and shortly after I started to hear continuous popping sound from its mouth followed by blood dripping down that poor fishes underside.

He released the bass once it started bleeding, only for all the spectators to see it floating. On its side. -_-

That REALLY P8888D me off  :mad:

Pump: this is my net. http://newworldcarp....net-p-826.html 

I use it for multiple species  :razz:  but yah, a good net is a good investment!

#47 balt0

balt0

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

I was out tonight.  Saw a few pike and swarm of carp.  Had to leave as it started to rain.

#48 GB2pair

GB2pair

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

I was out this morning and got a small pike near the boat launch. I saw several large pike sunning themselves in the shallows near the marina, they were not interested in anything as I threw several lures at them and nothing. The water was very cold andthere was very little weed growth, unfortunately not a lot of structure for the fish.

#49 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

I was out this morning and got a small pike near the boat launch. I saw several large pike sunning themselves in the shallows near the marina, they were not interested in anything as I threw several lures at them and nothing. The water was very cold andthere was very little weed growth, unfortunately not a lot of structure for the fish.

Is this always the case when you find them in the shallows hanging out?

#50 GB2pair

GB2pair

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

@ Pump

When the water is still so cold, I find they are not interested in much when in the shallows. However, when it warms up a little, I have found in the past that you can get them to strike out anger with buzz baits or top water, spinners and jerk/twich baits when they are sunning themselves. When I was there the shallows were full of bait fish (dace, I think) just flashing their silver and I didn't see one pike even pay attention to the bait fish.

#51 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

Did you try a wooly?

#52 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

When I was there the shallows were full of bait fish (dace, I think) just flashing their silver and I didn't see one pike even pay attention to the bait fish.

The baitfish is Alewife. They are spawning in the basin now. You may see a school of them swirling which is what they do when they are spawning.

#53 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

^^^

Do they spawn and die after?

#54 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

they live most of their life in saltwater, and comes to freshwater for spawn. The freshwater environment puts stress on them and they die

#55 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Thanks

#56 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

Thanks

I don't think thats the case but giving you guys a heads up. 3 places I visited, goby's infested.including bluffs. Managed to educate some teeners not to use goby's as bait. They started killing it. At least they listen.

#57 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:37 PM

Alewife that are now established in Lake Ontario did come up through the St. Lawrence Seaway...but they no longer mix with the saltwater population. The ones we have now are landlocked.

http://www.dfo-mpo.g...spareau-eng.htm

"It has been suggested that the freshwater environment somehow hastens sexual maturity. That may be so, but it is clear that the freshwater environment of the Great Lakes places great stress on landlocked alewives which results in massive die-offs, particularly in the spring and summer. Dead and dying fish may wash ashore in such numbers as to constitute a health hazard to nearby communities. The cause of these die-offs is uncertain but appears related to the alewife's inability to acclimatize to rapidly rising or fluctuating water temperatures and to certain physiological changes associated with stress."

#58 Fishnsteez

Fishnsteez

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

Hey guys! Kind of new to fishing been fishing every weekend as a kid with my family but now I'm in my twenties looking to do some more in the area fishing.. But I've always gone out to the kawarthas. I tried out the 4 storm ponds last night in the bluffs for about an hour didn't have much luck. Saw a few blue gill swimming around was hoping to find some pike. I was using a live target crayfish for a bit and then switched over to a senko. I've read that the marina is a good place as well but have no idea what areas to target, had a few casts over there in the morning before the storm and packed up when it hit around noon. Water was pretty still in the marina I parked in the north lot and tried from there. I was at the storm ponds during the evening around 6/7. Planning to try it out again tonight when I'm off work at about 6. If anyone is free and looking to get their line wet tonight pm me! Hoping to run into a few good spots that I can fish from within the city. Love fishing but hate driving out 2 hours to Belleville lol!

#59 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Hey guys! Kind of new to fishing been fishing every weekend as a kid with my family but now I'm in my twenties looking to do some more in the area fishing.. But I've always gone out to the kawarthas. I tried out the 4 storm ponds last night in the bluffs for about an hour didn't have much luck. Saw a few blue gill swimming around was hoping to find some pike. I was using a live target crayfish for a bit and then switched over to a senko. I've read that the marina is a good place as well but have no idea what areas to target, had a few casts over there in the morning before the storm and packed up when it hit around noon. Water was pretty still in the marina I parked in the north lot and tried from there. I was at the storm ponds during the evening around 6/7. Planning to try it out again tonight when I'm off work at about 6. If anyone is free and looking to get their line wet tonight pm me! Hoping to run into a few good spots that I can fish from within the city. Love fishing but hate driving out 2 hours to Belleville lol!

bluffs is a good area to fish. but you need to know where. there's a popular place there for pike but i have my own sweet spots for them. it's a drag during summers with parking. and just giving you a heads up. even if you do able to park. there will always be douche that will park and block you exit expecting you're one of the beach people that will stay long. storm ponds i know most people fish for carp there but not pike. to on the easter side where the marina is... one spot i know good for pike is before the bridge heading to the yacht club. both sides. clear water produced me a lot of pike and bass but i moved east so i'm exploring some bodies of water.

#60 Fishnsteez

Fishnsteez

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

@Dilligaf? Could you send me a pm? I guess I'm a little too new to send one to you! Thanks for the tips I'm gonna try again tomorrow didn't get the chance to head out today. If you ever need company on one of your eastern expeditions would love to tag along! Are you targeting anything in particular?