• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

You guys have at it. Crowds, chocolate and drop-backs arent my thing. Ill be turkey hunting ! Anyone else?

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Keep some feathers for me if you're not using them.

Not sure whats in store for opener just yet but brookies/brownies and no crowds sounds really good.

#3 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

negative Nancy ! opener will be sweet as always, no people lots of fish and hopefully green water. 

#4 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

Ah yes turkey hunting I will be as well. Gotta go get my two tags. I still have feathers from last years bags. Hopefully I get the 25+ pounders I got last year. But with the way winter was turkey maybe skimpy this year. Might have to settle with some Jakes,

#5 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

darn, turkey hunting is hard to pass up.... so tasty.. 

damnit wish i could do both at the same time somewere lol

#6 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

I've scoped quite a few toms in my area. I think it will be good as they're a bit behind schedule and just getting going.

#7 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

And shmogs i got a.spot where i do both ;)

#8 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

Yeah I've had my camera out for a few weeks now and not much turkey action only one flock around only 5-6 birds. Might go this weekend and put out my blind. Haven't decided if I am gonna blind it or sit on the ground in the shrubs.

#9 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

Also get to use my new restrung Barnet

#10 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

Takin my c-bow for a new one tomorrow

#11 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

This is on my to do list. Hunting. It's not something you can just get into on your own.

How do you get started with hunting? Mentor? Family thing?

#12 BnK

BnK

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

You guys have at it. Crowds, chocolate and drop-backs arent my thing. Ill be turkey hunting ! Anyone else?

You got it - 25th of april on my families land a little more than an hour north of T.O.

This is on my to do list. Hunting. It's not something you can just get into on your own.

I would say family thing. I don't enjoy it that much to be honest so I couldn't say that I would be doing it without my pops. Definitely have to be shown the ropes too, lots of little details. 

#13 Shmogley

Shmogley

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

you know for small game you can learn fine on your own for the most part. most bird and small mammals are fairly straight forward. just find their habitat and look for the signs.

while bigger game is mostly the same skills but the areas youre gonna be searching are going to be sometimes 100x larger. with that huge area you really have to minimise the guess work. theres so much details a mentor or someone who knows whats up is necessary. at least for your first couple trips. id never go alone anyways just for safety reason but i have been known to go take a few rabbit or birds on my lonesome...

its almost like comparing sunfish in a pond to trying to find  a specific species in the ocean. and then add on a bunch of crap that can happen after you take a shot. have heard about bad shots taking guys several hours of tracking to find the mark. luckily i havent  had bad luck like that yet but it can happen to anyone. ballistics can do weird things sometimes.

if you ever decide to jump in ill go out with ya, its a good time outdoors if its something you can get into (not for everyone thats for sure) :)

#14 Shmogley

Shmogley

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

And shmogs i got a.spot where i do both ;)

you see this face :( < thats my jealousy showing lol

#15 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

you know for small game you can learn fine on your own for the most part. most bird and small mammals are fairly straight forward. just find their habitat and look for the signs.

while bigger game is mostly the same skills but the areas youre gonna be searching are going to be sometimes 100x larger. with that huge area you really have to minimise the guess work. theres so much details a mentor or someone who knows whats up is necessary. at least for your first couple trips. id never go alone anyways just for safety reason but i have been known to go take a few rabbit or birds on my lonesome...

its almost like comparing sunfish in a pond to trying to find  a specific species in the ocean. and then add on a bunch of crap that can happen after you take a shot. have heard about bad shots taking guys several hours of tracking to find the mark. luckily i havent  had bad luck like that yet but it can happen to anyone. ballistics can do weird things sometimes.

if you ever decide to jump in ill go out with ya, its a good time outdoors if its something you can get into (not for everyone thats for sure) :)

Thats a good way to put it. Yeah hunting is not for everyone, I hunt alone most of the time from squirrel, dove, turkey, rabbit  to whitetail. I don't look for deer they come to me I have a feeder going late summer or a lick, so they always come back to where I hunt. Only time I go out with buddies is when we do waterfowl. And thats not every year. 

#16 guest

Smallmouth Bass

• Closed Accounts
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

screw steelheads--all about the brookies--no loogans and peace and quiet..and ditto on the feathers--i need some nice PT feathers.

#17 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

You must Hunt turkey in the spring strictly for sport? I find the big toms aren't that great eating.

#18 nerosrevenge

nerosrevenge

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

You must Hunt turkey in the spring strictly for sport? I find the big toms aren't that great eating.

Hey Captain. I have to disagree with you lol I haven't met a Tom I didn't like.

How are you preparing them?

I have found that with all wild game the preparation and cooking makes all the difference.

Shawarma...where are you located?

#19 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

Deep fry is amazing lol.

#20 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Shawarma...where are you located?

I'm in brampton... So needless to say I drive alot everywhere.