• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hi was wondering if people could explain what a trout bead is and how to use them if u have pic that would really help thanks

#2 Almar

Almar

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Just Google "how to rig trout beads".
Chris

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

image.jpg

1-2 inches to a raven wide gap #12

#4 steelheader

steelheader

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

I like to use a snell knot while running a bead and always with a wide gap hook. Seems to help.

#5 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

wide gap hooks, I like to use the plastic/rubber peg its. Peg them 1 1/2 inches - 2 inches above the hook. fish them just like youd fish roe/fly/pinkies (whatever) just add another couple inches to your float (the eggs are neutrally bouyant so they ride just below the level of your bottom split shot)

#6 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

wide gap hooks, I like to use the plastic/rubber peg its. Peg them 1 1/2 inches - 2 inches above the hook. fish them just like youd fish roe/fly/pinkies (whatever) just add another couple inches to your float (the eggs are neutrally bouyant so they ride just below the level of your bottom split shot)

TB rubber pegs work awesome! this is very helpfull specially if youre running a combo, like a bead and bag or a bead and bug, whatever combo you like or use them as is! plus the good thing about it is you could adjust the distance from the hook as well! and never did i have one peg pull out of the bead, and as a bonus no knots needed for your leader so its gonna be a stronger line rather than having a knot for the bead which IMO makes it alot weaker,

#7 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

I like to put my beads 5 or 6 inches up on my hook. I also like to use 3o treble hooks.

I seem to hook fish all the time!

#8 Tyler0420

Tyler0420

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hevibeads.com
I jus ordered some of these glass beads online. Check out their video on their product. Some cool looking bead flys u can make.

#9 steelheader

steelheader

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

Pretty sad how quick some are to give b/s replys
Why do you have to act this way FirstDrift??!

I like to put my beads 5 or 6 inches up on my hook. I also like to use 3o treble hooks.
I seem to hook fish all the time!

#10 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Most know that I am joking. Those who don't will ask! I would never tell a noob to fish in this manner. Personally i feel if your bead is over an inch and a half up from your hook, your doing something illegal. Lighten up buddy...lol

#11 streamside88

streamside88

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

First Drift..... thats not cool man people come on here for legitimate tips and advice, newbs might take you seriously and go out and fish with that set up and either get shat on by other fisherman or harm fish....  yes seasond anglers might know your kidding but a newbi doesn't know better that why hes asking...

#12 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

my wife agrees with u guys, im an a**hole!

#13 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Look guys I'm fourteen years old and try to learn to float fish the right way

#14 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Good on ya Mitch for trying to learn! It's a lot of trial and error...trust me...I'm still trying to hook my first! But the guys have it right, about an 1- 1/2" above the hook..and you can compliment it with a dew worm, roe, pinkie, fly, etc. It's all about getting out and trying different things and finding something that works for you. There is TONS of information online if you Google Trout Beads.

Don't worry about the guys yanking your chain...lol...we all will do that! Just don't take it personally! Now one small piece of advice...if you don't mind me saying. It can sometimes help up front if you admit to being a n00b at it (we all are in some areas!) and people will generally give you a break :) Me, I'm pretty good with Bass/Pike but when it comes to float fishing (I started it a year ago)...yep...I'm a n00b! Caught a few fish with it...but still have yet to get that elusive Rainbow! But I'm working on it!

Good luck!

#15 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

Ya just got my rod and reel this week

#16 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

If u r new to float fishing and new to the pin, I would steer away from using beads. The presentation of beads is one that has to be very good. Not so much to get a fish to hit,  but to hook the fish! If your beads are not running way out in front of your float (trotting) or holding the float back, u will miss a lot of fish and get broken off quite frequently.

I would suggest baits that go directly on your hook until u can present the bait correctly.

#17 Mitch

Mitch

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

Wouldn't it be the same as fishing a non weighted jig under a float if so I must have been doing something right because I already lost two fish but I'd was before I got my 13' rod I was fishing my pin on a 6'6" rod maybe that was a factor Monday when I lost hem

#18 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

in all my fishing I've never seen some one fish a bead 1.5 inches above the hook, more like 2-3 inches other wise the hook is likely just to follow the bead out and not catch there lips unless your using like a #8 + 

#19 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

there were 30 people charged  last fall by the mnr for beads 3 inches up from the hook, the chances of u snagging a fish or foul hooking it like that is greatly increased. There is a very fine line.

and btw, the gap in your hook should be the same size as your bead. so if u r using a huge 10 or 12mm bead u should pretty much be using a #4 or a #6 if u can believe that.

I could ever bring myself to use a hook that size.

Mitch, u can fish however u want. Ive been fishing with a centerpin for 15 years and if u talk to any accomplished centerpinner they will tell u that it takes 5 years to perfect float fishing presentation!

believe me when I tell u, using beads as a beginner, u will loose lots of fish.

#20 FirstDrift

FirstDrift

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

if your presentation is vertical when the fish hits your bead it will not be hitting the hook as well it will be hitting the bead and your line..... what do u think is going to happen?

there is a slight chance u will hook the fish right but more likely the fishes teeth will cut your line or u will foul hook it on the outside of his face!

I don't know what a non weighted jig is.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Newbie