• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Walked in to one of my favorite spots only to find it occupied by a couple o' yogi's with pool cues sneakers beer and rap music so walked downstream a bit and talked to a spey guy who also wanted to hit the same run. Sure enough yogi #1 hooks one and proceeds to say to his star pupil yogi#2 it's a brown! thirty seconds later it's a salmon! when he finally horses it in he says  it's a rainbow! That's comin home for dinner! See you just have to be patient he says. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. So I just went home as it was that time anyway. My question is comic hero or tragic fool?

#2 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

Tragic fool

#3 BnK

BnK

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

LOL - love the description of them. Wish you clear waters the next time you head down haha

#4 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

Meh.  Sounds like they had more fun than you did.  Maybe if you weren't such a snob, they would have offered you a beer! lol

Go to my home-town.  If you're not fishing in a Van Halen tshirt with a 24 of Canadian on ice while blasting G&R's Appetite for Destruction on repeat, then you're doing it wrong!

#5 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

cptpronin-Actually, I said to him welcome to the addiction. It was fun to watch, just ironic and funny that guys with more experience and pricey gear missed that hookup.  Seen Van Halen at the Ex way back in the playback, not impressed. Maiden could teach them a thing or two. Also ironic he didn't even know what he was fishing for at this time of year. Old Milwaukee ain't beer either imo. When I party, I party, when I fish, I fish. I've got no beef with that, to each his own, they had a kid with them- maybe she was driving home. Thanks for chiming in though, reminds me why I hardly bother with this forum

#6 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

What do you mean Van Halen is unimpressive?

You're mean. :(

#7 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Lost count how many times that has happened to me, once with a pro retried guy causslly pulling in 2 foot carps, another time a young guy beside me with a foot and a half bass, and the exact same story as you with a salmon creek, except for he lost the salmon, ha ha!

#8 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

I hear you. i was fishing locally all weekend so imagine what i was seeing. dear god...

only time its worse is during salmon runs.

to me he is a comic hero. he was there at the right time. knew the spot(s). caught fish...

his(their) style might have been contrary to yours, and those pool cues lol.

maybe now that he hooked up hes going to get pumped about it and actually invest some time and money to learn more and gear up. who knows.. thats how i and many others started

i cant get mad at the kids beside me last year who caught a chrome chinook on a mickey mouse rod while the whole area is wearing simms and a white stripe on their backside

when i picture it in my head i chuckle. its a very similar situation.

cptpronin didn't have to assume you were being snobby to the guys but the way you wrote your original post certainly paints a picture.

if you didnt say it you were certainly thinking it.

it sounds like a lot like someone with pricey gear and know-how, has some butthurt going on :)

and yes. old milwauks is not real beer. it is known

cheers! (with some good beer hopefully)

#9 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

I think I was somewhat misunderstood here, I wasn't angry or pissy, I just found it kind of amusing and ironic that someone obviously new to the sport without waders expensive rods etc. a) ends up hooking a fish and B) isn't quite sure of the type of fish and c) the fish don't care what kind of rod and gear you have if you just put it in front of them. It was cool seeing the excitement and perhaps that's the spark that will lead him to learn more about the sport so that in the future maybe he'll learn to identify a hatchery fish vs. wild and possibly release it. Van Halen's good, they just weren't that good live when I seen them imo. Maybe an off night. My question didn't ask if it was him or me, therefore... he's the comic hero- I'm the tragic fool haha

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

the fish don't care about the gear, just whats being presented at the end of the line

#11 coldfeet

coldfeet

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Went by that spot last night, yogi's left all their garbage niiicce

#12 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

I have many thousands invested in steelhead tackle, collected over the last 25+ years of fishing for them, and I never turn my nose up at someone out enjoying themselves, even if they don't have all the fancy gear. Shame about the garbage, but the rest ...?

#13 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

I will agree that leaving litter is uncool, and I mean that sincerely.

Eddie VanHalen would agree.