• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Can someone please help me understand how to read the http://www.wateroffi...tml readings?  

For example, the Southampton area, what are the ideal or "fishable" conditions I should be looking for?  Flow/levels.. 

#2 curtis89

curtis89

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

it is really hard to say exactly when a river is 'fishable'.  Usually a quick rise on the chart indicates less visibilty, higher water levels.  When its on the drop it starts to get clear. Ever river is different, the best way i have figured it out is to look at the charts and go to the rivers.  Compare what you find, and try to pattern what you see.  

#3 fishfearme

fishfearme

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

You really have to be familiar with the flow charts as it pertains to specific tribs. Watch your favorite tribs on the chart frequently and eventually you'll know when they are at their best. The charts can be deceiving sometimes if you're not familiar with the water.

#4 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Thank you both.  Obviously I'm somewhat still a noob at steelheading, but weren't we all at one point?  I love steelhead fishing, and really miss the fight.  I might try my luck a Bay***ld pier and river.  I was going to try the Sau***n river but looks like the river is quite high right now at almost 9+ meters.   If anyone knows of some decent areas to fish right now please send me a PM.  Looking at going out first thing tomorrow AM.

#5 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

What I do if I'm looking at unfamiliar waters is figure out what the average water level is and look to see if it's on the rise or drop, usually you can get a rough idea of what it looks like.

#6 chrome247

chrome247

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:14 AM

the only way to become really familiar with the graphs for, say the 4-5 rivers you fish is to watch them constantly while spending time on the water fishing, when you are successful remember that magic number and dont forget it. When looking at the weekly data compare the levels to the previous weeks/months/years to get an idea what level its at compared to high and low water periods. In As said above, when there is a steep upward spike it usually means muddy water, but always compare to older data because what looks like a big spike can turn out to be a 3cm rise. There are some larger rivers that rise and dirty up much more gradually, some are always fishable and dont dirty up. Every river is unique in some way and experience on the water is important to learning how they act, with some a "blowout" is 4 meters higher then normal, while some it is only 1-2 feet and some smaller creeks only 10-20 cm. When you become familiar with your river(s) you can get a pretty good idea of what point they are fishable when on the drop (that being said, there are still those times when you are completely wrong).  

For the "South" area, 7.5-7.8 is about as low as it gets, in early fall when the water table is low a big spike might be to 8.2-8.3 with the water being unfishable, while in the winter months when it is holding lots of water it is usually on the clear side at that level. It can have fishable vis sometimes even when its over 9. If you look on the graph at the April blowout there, thats probably about the highest you will see it, while the data from summer 2012 shows you (likely) the lowest levels ever seen 

#7 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

Thanks very much chrome247.  This is quite helpful.