17 replies to this topic

#1 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hi all,

Just signed up to Ontario Fishing Forums, and I hope to swap out some info and tips with other likeminded anglers in the Toronto core! ;)

My main passion is for battling big Carp, (Biggest I've caught was a 35 pounder at Tommy Thompson park)  but when the carping gets slow, I like to switch things up and get into the action casts as well for other species..

So I'm looking into going to Bluffers park for the first time, and Im hoping someone could give me some tips or pointers on where to start there?... (parking, starting points, your most successful lures/ experiences)

Any help would be great! I live so close to Bluffers, and have never fished there before, so I'm itching to get out there and test the waters for the first time after hearing so much about it.

Thanks guys =)

#2 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

welcome brother!

lots of guys in bluffers seem to go near the marina area,  and off the point there,but ive never fished there myself so maybe someone who knows can shed a better light on it..

got some big carp in a storm drain pond near my house. can be fun when nothing else is happening for sure

peace and good luck

#3 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

Wow, 35 pounds thats only 5 away from ontarios record, you have earned my respect! Sorry never been to that spot. Welcome.

#4 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:07 PM

Welcome!

#5 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

Welcome man.

#6 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Welcome! There's been a few threads recently about carp.. tis that time of the season it looks like. 

Looking forward to seeing some huge carp pics from you!

#7 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Welcome! I can't wait to start hitting on the Carp!

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

To be honest with you...a slow day at TTP is better than a hot carping day at Bluffs. But that hike is what deters me from going back. But back when I was into carp, I go to Toronto Islands for 'em. Bluffs have good carp fishing spots it gets congested when it hits up. And not a lot of spots.

#9 Drift king

Drift king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

welcome bud

#10 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys =)

Yes TTP is an adventure and a half. That walk kills it for most, especially if your packing for a day of it. (Which I usually do) But I just throw my bicycle on the car and attach a kiddie trailer to stuff all my gear in.

Youll get some exercise peddling all that gear to the 'spots' but you'll quickly forget you did that if your truly ready for some serious carpin. -Plain and simple, THEY BITE =) if your presentations are in order.

May/June are my most successful times of year to bang out some big carp there. Usually a lock up every cast with a little ***patience ;) *** (only 5-10 casts per trip) So I'll be heading back very soon

The average there is I'd say between an 18-22 pounder, but my GOD do they ever run. I've never caught one there that came in easily and Im using some pretty heavy tackle. And when I hooked into that 33.7lb monster last year.... well, lets just say it felt like I hooked into a Go train. lol

This year I'm trying out some new tactics, as I've noticed the Carp at TTP are becoming very "bait weary."  I see alot of people casting right at them with the same old presentations, which I think is making them lose interest.

Some people may think otherwise, but I think the carp is quite a cunning creature. And from my experience they dont take too well to the same old song and dance- Probably the greatest freebie tip I could ever give about consistent carp catching is to always switch things up... *Use what works, of course. But try different combinations EVERY time you head out :idea:*

Can anyone offer me any help on Bluffers park? places to get started?

Really interested in trying out my new reel there :mrgreen:

Thanks again guys, great site here

#11 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Oh and Im not looking for carp at Bluffers, just whatevers biting. Thinking mostly rapalas and maybe some wacky worms.

Any tips?

#12 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

welcome brother!

lots of guys in bluffers seem to go near the marina area,  and off the point there,but ive never fished there myself so maybe someone who knows can shed a better light on it..

got some big carp in a storm drain pond near my house. can be fun when nothing else is happening for sure

peace and good luck

Storm drain near your house? Do tell.... ;)

#13 BnK

BnK

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Quite a bit of posts already, love it! 

Welcome bud! 

#14 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Quite a bit of posts already, love it! 

Welcome bud! 

Thanks man!

Call in sick, call me first, THEN turn off your phone and go fishing ;) haha

#15 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

If you really want to try Bluffers. Boat launch is good for almost anything except bass. I have caught perch and pike there mostly early morning on summer. nightcrawlers for perch and plugs for pike. I've seen people carping on the west side of bluffers or inside the marina but have yet to see someone caught one. I caught my very first pike right by the parking lot on a twister tail on a jig.

#16 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Cool man, thanks. So whats the shore fishing etiquette like there? I mean always keep quiet and keep it clean, but is there anywhere you CANT fish there? and has anyone ever given you a hard time about fishing there? that has usually been my experience when trying to fish a marina. :-(

#17 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hey Welcome and tight lines.:)

#18 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hey Welcome and tight lines. :)

Thanks! So I take it you've also got an itch that only a carp can scratch aswell? :lol: 

Such an elegant pass time isnt it? - An extremely relaxed way to fish. Nothing but piece and quiet, tranquility, maybe a good book if thats your thing, .....and then all of a sudden comes a screaming spool at the time of a hookup :D

Not to mention the ENDLESS luring possibilities. Its hard not to be hooked!

Welcome fellow carper! B)  I salute

Have you been out yet this year?