• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#1 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

These bad boys deserve their own thread ;-)

Anyone been out yet this year in search of them specifically?

Heres the place to post your 2014 carp stories :-)

Heading out for the first time this weekend, with a completely new arsenal. Can hardly wait.

Good luck carpers!!!

#2 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

caught this on a worm ahah, thing almost took my rod into the water, just grabbed it and let it ran. 10364065_596002150507916_1791040747_n.jp

#3 curtis89

curtis89

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

i've gone once to a river with no luck.  Was at a lake yesterday (with no fishing rod) and saw plenty in the shallows.  Hopefully gonna get out and get one soon.

#4 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

caught this on a worm ahah, thing almost took my rod into the water, just grabbed it and let it ran. 10364065_596002150507916_1791040747_n.jp

Nice catch! were you targetting them specifically?

@Curtis : keep it posted bro! best of luck

#5 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

I got out on Sunday and only caught one but it was a solid 20. 

20140511_142423 (600x800).jpg

HPIM1828 (800x555).jpg

#6 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/156u8hw.jpg[/IMG

Hey guys, I made a thread " a grand ole time" but ill post aswell .. I cant figure out how to make the image appear. But I was out fishing last friday it was a beaut of a day . I was just chillin threw on a woem and a bobber and next thig I know my rods skippin towards the river. Set the hook and was in for a fight!! First carp ive caught in the grand and im hooked! Ive got some nice bass but have never had a fight like that!!

#7 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Helping out 420fisherman with his image

156u8hw.jpg

#8 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

I got out on Sunday and only caught one but it was a solid 20. 

attachicon.gif20140511_142423 (600x800).jpg

attachicon.gifHPIM1828 (800x555).jpg

F**K YAH!!! Thats what I'm talking about! Bet he gave you a hell of a run though. Sometimes just one good scrap is enough ;)  How long where you fishing for?

#9 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

156u8hw.jpg

Man what a fish! Such a clean one too, very healthy looking. Where did you land that beauty?

#10 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/156u8hw.jpg[/IMG

Hey guys, I made a thread " a grand ole time" but ill post aswell .. I cant figure out how to make the image appear. But I was out fishing last friday it was a beaut of a day . I was just chillin threw on a woem and a bobber and next thig I know my rods skippin towards the river. Set the hook and was in for a fight!! First carp ive caught in the grand and im hooked! Ive got some nice bass but have never had a fight like that!!

Very few freshwater fish will give you such a hard time like a determined carp will ;) I've had some fights last as long as 5-10 minutes.

Thats why they've become my personal fav :lol:

#11 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

Great feedback so far guys! Now I'm even more anxious to get out this weekend. Some great catches and as always thanks for keeping on posting!

Such a great sport fish, and it always nice to see what other people are catching.

May even go hardcore and head out Sat, Sun AND Mon this long weekend :mrgreen:

"Bloody work, sometimes I miss being a kid so I can do some more fishing!!!"

#12 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hey , I landed the fish in brantford on the grand river.. And it was an epic fight! Took me over 45 mins!!! He kept running anytime I got it close!! Im definetly going out again this weekend!! Gonna try the same spot and venture for others! Im going worm picking tn!

#13 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

How's your setup when fishing carp?

I plan on fishing with my centerpin/steelhead setup...

15ft rod, 10lb main line, float, split shots, swivel, 3ft 6lb leader and #10 circle hook.

If that fails, I'll remove the float and focus on the bottom.

I'm planning to use corn, bread or worms as bait.  

#14 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

i wouldn't be using a 6 lb leader for carp if i were you, by the time you get the fish in, it will be dead, use at least 10 lbs, I've done it with my 'pin setup before and its a blast just put a sinker and a couple hooks with leaders and some corn or worms and wait until one hits!

#15 Jsteelcity

Jsteelcity

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

These bad boys need a thread for sure ... Only some missed strikes but I was baiting the water and I saw some fatties swimming around .. Its only a matter time before I catch one . The bus I take down the bayfront to work has a known carping spot I might hit on the way home work Tomorow !!!

#16 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

How's your setup when fishing carp?

I plan on fishing with my centerpin/steelhead setup...

15ft rod, 10lb main line, float, split shots, swivel, 3ft 6lb leader and #10 circle hook.

If that fails, I'll remove the float and focus on the bottom.

I'm planning to use corn, bread or worms as bait.  

I usually only fish for them on the bottom, they are bottom feeders after all! But you can def. use a float too.

Really like that 15ft rod, it will make you be able to cast really long distances if thats what you need :razz:

What kind of leader are you using? You probably would be better off without it. 6lb is pushing it if you've got an angry 20 on; always remember that an aggressive carp will usually try to use the margins to try and free itself, and with a lighter line you'll have pretty much no chance to control it. =lost fish

SIMPLE RIG.jpg

^This is the very first carp rig I ever used, and I've caught tons of carp on it. I still use this rig from time to time.

Its not a hail-mary cast rig though, its a chum, then bait rig. Chum the area your casting in (Obviously within throwing distance) then cast it into your chummed area a short while after. The idea is to get the carp in the area, and have them actively feeding on your chum without spooking, so its best to even do this even the night before you fish.

Whole kernal corn is probably your best bet for this method. (out of your choices) Especially since it will hold longer than bread or worms. (If you want a couple tips on how to increase the effectiveness of your corn pm me ;-) )

Good luck and keep that line tight!

#17 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I currently have a hi-vis neon yellow line, would they be able to see my line and be line shy?

Also are they hook shy?  Would you want your hook to be fully covered with bait?

#18 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yes, I'd cover the hook if your baiting the hook itself. Hi-vis is a def no no with carp. Sorry, but I've never heard or seen anyone catching carp with hi vis anything, lol let alone line. Carp see colours very well, but its the bait itself that you want them to notice... not your tackle :cool:

#19 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

I always fully cover my hook when fishing for carp, I've fished them with 50 lb line, they didn't seem to give a crap so i would say your line will be fine, carp come mostly for smell, chum the area to attract them, that way you will get a hit faster and keep a school near you. I find worms are good early season until the small stuff comes out and tries to steal the worms, they stagy on better then corn but with corn you probably won't get small stuff, mostly carp but I've gotten tons of pike on corn as well, so win/win.

#20 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

How many cans of corn do you usually bring with you if fishing for the day?

I gotta do a dollar store run before the weekend