• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#21 MarksHooked

MarksHooked

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

If all you have is Hi Vis line, get a black sharpie and cut a slit through the felt top, so you can slide the last few feet of line through the marker and darken the line. This might only work with braided line, I don't know if fluoro or mono would hold the ink. Great thread here I can't wait to contribute my first carp catch.  I was one of those fools who was using hi vis braided line and not catching a darn thing lol, planning on making some adjustments and trying later this week.  I've been down around bayfront a few times and continue to see activity on the top of the water, but only a couple catfish landed on the corn so far.

#22 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

I usually only fish for them on the bottom, they are bottom feeders after all! But you can def. use a float too.

Really like that 15ft rod, it will make you be able to cast really long distances if thats what you need :razz:

What kind of leader are you using? You probably would be better off without it. 6lb is pushing it if you've got an angry 20 on; always remember that an aggressive carp will usually try to use the margins to try and free itself, and with a lighter line you'll have pretty much no chance to control it. =lost fish

attachicon.gifSIMPLE RIG.jpg

^This is the very first carp rig I ever used, and I've caught tons of carp on it. I still use this rig from time to time.

Its not a hail-mary cast rig though, its a chum, then bait rig. Chum the area your casting in (Obviously within throwing distance) then cast it into your chummed area a short while after. The idea is to get the carp in the area, and have them actively feeding on your chum without spooking, so its best to even do this even the night before you fish.

Whole kernal corn is probably your best bet for this method. (out of your choices) Especially since it will hold longer than bread or worms. (If you want a couple tips on how to increase the effectiveness of your corn pm me ;-) )

Good luck and keep that line tight!

Hmmm...you know what would probably work for baiting further distances...is a "chuck-it" for dogs...normally used for pitching tennis balls a ton! I'll bet you could fling some chum a distance and a half!

#23 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Yes, I'd cover the hook if your baiting the hook itself. Hi-vis is a def no no with carp. Sorry, but I've never heard or seen anyone catching carp with hi vis anything, lol let alone line. Carp see colours very well, but its the bait itself that you want them to notice... not your tackle :cool:

I run a red braid and I've hit on a bunch of them. I really don't think they are line shy actually (but I will admit to being a total Carp n00b). I just bottom bounce worms and have had really good success doing it. Just float a worm a few feet from the weight on the bottom and wait for it! LOL!! Then it's game on!!

#24 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

I usually bring a can or 2 of corn, some dough, some worms, if one thing doesn't work switch it up, i mainly chum with dough or corn, because you can throw lots in and cover a big area, if you plan on fishing just corn you may want some more but i usually don't use this much and i get at least like 12 fish each time at the lake near me.

#25 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go and ask questions after.

I had no plans of targeting carp this year but you guys changed my mind.

Cheers

#26 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

@Ocdcomputing, i was just under the impression that high-vis line is exactly that- for high visibility.. so fluorescent colours and the like.

Not saying coloured line wont work, but just the way "high vis" lines sounds, it seems like a red flag for me personally. Ive never looked to buy high-vis lines so i dont understand their uses. Lol

I always try to match my colours as closely to the bottom terrain as i possibly can.:-) (everything, from the hook to whats on the spool)

#27 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

That's why I wanted to use a fluro leader to get my bait away from my main line

#28 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:59 PM

I have a spool of P-Line 10lb fluro that I might just spool onto my centerpin.

My mainline is actually thinning out.

How often do carp take and unspool your reel?

#29 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

I have a spool of P-Line 10lb fluro that I might just spool onto my centerpin.

My mainline is actually thinning out.

How often do carp take and unspool your reel?

^I'd go with that fluoro for sure^ Line isnt that expensive, so if your targetting them specifically, probably best to gear for them.  (Most avid Carpers will tell you the same thing, -to try and match your tackle as closely as you can to the bottom terrain, and do anything you can do to improve your catch rate :mrgreen: )

What do you mean by unspool?

I have 400yards of 15lb ("low-vis" ;) ) mono as a main on my reel. They usually will take around 100-300 yards out before I can reel them in safely. (For where I fish, the carp usually run in the same direction; the bay opening that leads to the bigger lake. Which is approx 500 yards from where I cast)

I change my line every year.

#30 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

If all you have is Hi Vis line, get a black sharpie and cut a slit through the felt top, so you can slide the last few feet of line through the marker and darken the line. This might only work with braided line, I don't know if fluoro or mono would hold the ink. Great thread here I can't wait to contribute my first carp catch.  I was one of those fools who was using hi vis braided line and not catching a darn thing lol, planning on making some adjustments and trying later this week.  I've been down around bayfront a few times and continue to see activity on the top of the water, but only a couple catfish landed on the corn so far.

Match your terrain closely bud! Best thing I can advise.

This simple tactic will dramatically improve your catch rate, then it might be a good idea to start improvising your rigs..

Choosing line is one thing, but its a whole other ballgame with everything tied to it :cool:

Cheers!

#31 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

@Ocdcomputing, i was just under the impression that high-vis line is exactly that- for high visibility.. so fluorescent colours and the like.

Not saying coloured line wont work, but just the way "high vis" lines sounds, it seems like a red flag for me personally. Ive never looked to buy high-vis lines so i dont understand their uses. Lol

I always try to match my colours as closely to the bottom terrain as i possibly can. :smile: (everything, from the hook to whats on the spool)

Oh I def see your point. For me though, the red braid doesn't seem to have made any difference. But...I will say...I'm normally fishing rivers so it could be the same principle as float fishing since the bait is being presented first to the fish.

#32 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

When I mean by unspool, the carp takes your line and pulls out your entire line.

Has that ever happened to anyone?

btw I changed my hi-vis to a fluro line an hour ago.

I just need my new net to arrive and I am set :)

#33 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

When I mean by unspool, the carp takes your line and pulls out your entire line.

btw I changed my hi-vis to a fluro line an hour ago.

I just need my new net to arrive and I am set :)

If a carp ever brings you to within inches of line left on your spool, then its probably time start asking yourself some questions...

-Is your line strong enough for your conditions?

-Does your reel have enough drag?

-Can your reel hold the test/yard ratios required for your fish?

But no its never happened to me. The last thing I want is a carp swimming around with a hook stuck in its mouth and trailing 200 yards of line behind it. Thats a bad situation all around.  :???:

So please be ready, for your sake, and for the preservation of the fish your after.

I'm not familiar with pin reels, but if this makes sense; you wouldnt want to bring pellet guns to a gun fight.. so,

- I wouldnt recommend anything smaller than a 4000 size reel when fishing for carp.

They can be very stubborn, and keep running without pause. So you need to be ready for a battle.

#34 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Last year it just about happened to me! I was this --><-- close to being out so I tightened up the drag and leaned into it and it broke off (never did see the fish..just HUGE swirls in the water). I reeled in and my hook was straightened. They are hugely powerful fish! So that is when I went out and got a new rig to try and target them with.

#35 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

How do carp fight compared to salmon?

With my cp setup, I never had a salmon unspool or even get close to my backing and they're the biggest fish I've caught.

#36 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

ive caught a few carp but they dont really run like salmon pump, more like a steady pull that you cannot stop. they are really stubborn hard to move fish. thats my experience anyways.

but seriously anything that can heel a salmon will be fine on a carp unless youre doing something wrong. or you hooking into 40lb monster lol thats out of my experience range ;)

you ever hooked a big sucker while fishing for steel? they fight very similiar but carp are much stronger pound for pound. 

dont worry about getting spooled though i use to fish these off some docks with a line wrapped around a pen when i was a kid :) 

#37 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My schedule for the long weekend will be Sat/Steelhead, Sunday/Pike and Monday/Carp/Pike

#38 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Carp, Carp, and depending on how Sat and Sunday went,.. CARP!

#39 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My schedule for the long weekend will be Sat/Steelhead, Sunday/Pike and Monday/Carp/Pike

if youre fishing close to me on the weekend i could hook up with ya for some afternoon carpin fever! i would try and get one on a pin this weekend! LOL!!!! i couldnt contain myself anymore!

#40 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

and one easy bait/rig no one mentioned just put a few splitshot in bulk pattern 12 inches up from a hook and cover the hook in a bread ball made by pushing any bread(the inside not the crust) into a firm ball around the hook.

works wonders(wonderbread!) in any of my carp spots. plus if you squeeze it tight enough it sinks. and its soft enough that a good tug will pull the hook right through it into the lip. also since its a bit bigger then corn they usually suck on it for a bit instead of just swallowing it, which helps a ton for healthy release.

cast it out and once it hits bottom tighten the line then just set it on something and watch your line or put something thats noisy on the line so when it moves youll hear it (like a crushed beer can) then you can talk to someone or chillout and just wait for that kick the can sound. 

this fish deserves more attention for sure, ill try to get a couple nice ones before fall

i hope to see some more monsters posted soon from you all! 

anyone whos going for carp this weekend and wants some company, send me a pm, im game :)