^^^

I wanna see you fight a carp with your line and pen

#42 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Is fishing for carp in light rain or overcast effective? are they more active during rain or?

#43 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

The more and more I read about carp the more I want to try it out lol.. I have a 10.5ft float rod with a 4000 series reel. with 20lb power pro with a 6ft fluro leader. Good enough for these ugly bastards? Haha.

#44 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

^^^

I wanna see you fight a carp with your line and pen

lol

#45 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Is fishing for carp in light rain or overcast effective? are they more active during rain or?

There are definite signs of when they are actively feeding, but in my experience, rain and overcast make little difference.

#46 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

The more and more I read about carp the more I want to try it out lol.. I have a 10.5ft float rod with a 4000 series reel. with 20lb power pro with a 6ft fluro leader. Good enough for these ugly bastards? Haha.

Yes MAN!!!! Give it a go, you wont be disappointed.  :cool:

That setup is more than enough. Good to go!

#47 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

I shall once the Grand goes down. 

So bait. Just cans of corn chummed into the water? What do I put on my hook? Corn? Or something different?

#48 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

F**K YAH!!! Thats what I'm talking about! Bet he gave you a hell of a run though. Sometimes just one good scrap is enough ;)  How long where you fishing for?

From 2:30 till 7:30. Pretty good fight but as the water warms they will fight harder. 

#49 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

This is a great thread.:)  FYI Tons of carp are caught on centrepin outfits. The biggest carp I have personally seen ( I netted it) was caught on a centrepin outfit. Float fishing is deadly for carp. If you can land salmon on one you can land carp. 

Carp generally are not line shy here. Ask yourself how would a carp know what line is? As long as it's laying on the bottom they generally don't care. 

I believe that completely covering your hook with bait like canned corn is counter productive. Everyone that I know that fishes with bait on the hook always leaves the hook point exposed.

Please check this out if you would like http://www.ontariofi...h=1#entry211176 . 

Just one more technique for anglers to use.

#50 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the link!.

#51 LICENSETOPIN

LICENSETOPIN

Skrilla Skrilla

• Active Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

Got into stacks of em earlier in the season, werent the target species but we'll take em.

IMG_0150-Edit.jpg

#52 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

This is a great thread. :)  FYI Tons of carp are caught on centrepin outfits. The biggest carp I have personally seen ( I netted it) was caught on a centrepin outfit. Float fishing is deadly for carp. If you can land salmon on one you can land carp. 

Carp generally are not line shy here. Ask yourself how would a carp know what line is? As long as it's laying on the bottom they generally don't care. 

I believe that completely covering your hook with bait like canned corn is counter productive. Everyone that I know that fishes with bait on the hook always leaves the hook point exposed.

Please check this out if you would like http://www.ontariofi...h=1#entry211176 . 

Just one more technique for anglers to use.

I completely agree that smothering your hook is counter productive... but the whole line sensitivity issue is debatable. -How would ANY fish know what line is then?

Companies like Korda for example, make it their livelihoods hiding hooklinks, rig and leader presentations from carp.  And they have extensive lines to not only keep your lines pinned to the bottom of the lakebeds, but also to remain completely camouflaged.

Check out a youtube user called David Edwards. I've spent countless hours over the years watching his videos of underwater Carp behavior, and because of his insightful work, I've never stopped trying to keep on improving my techniques and rigs. But most of all, keeping my rigs HIDDEN!

Carp arent as dull and dim-witted as people make them out to be, sure you may snag that one or two thats just so hungry he'd eat a horse, but in many respects....

Carp need to be hunted... :cool:

#53 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

I suppose bow fishing for them is frowned upon? Lol.

#54 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

alright pump im spooling a pen right now with 30lb test. get rdy for some action ;)

#55 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

I suppose bow fishing for them is frowned upon? Lol.

The beautiful thing about carp fishing is that - NO!!!

NOTHING is frowned upon. Experiment, experiment, experiment. If it works for you, it works for you! Plain and simple

I'm just hardcore about my carp though. I've probably spent more time researching them then actually fishing for them.

But when you dig into that world a bit more, you'll quickly realize that those setups you started with (even if they landed you countless fish) werent as effective as they could have been...

The rig possibilities are endless

#56 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

I want to kinda get into doing it.. I have the gear to do it. Both bow and fishing. Of course Id fish for em first before using the bow on em. 

#57 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

alright pump im spooling a pen right now with 30lb test. get rdy for some action ;)

lol craziness

#58 Carp Addiction

Carp Addiction

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

Kit, did you mean a bow and arrow? I thought you meant like a bow setup, for rainbows. :???:  *facepalm*

Are you planning on eating them?

#59 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

I wanna film this

#60 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:36 PM

I got 2 setups that I'll be using for carp.

centerpin setup

&

8'6 ugly stick, medium, 25lb power pro braid with 6ft of 10lb pline fluro leader.

I just gotta figure out my presentation with the ugly stick