• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#1 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Fishing season is just starting down here at Jordan harbour and already im seeing mass waves of orientals. (not trying to be racist) But when i go fishing at my local spots i will see groups of 10+  oriental type people with charcoal BBQ's (which they dump in the water after) cases of beer( that they also toss in the water) and large amounts of garbage ( bags, worm container, food wrapping). Not only do they litter, but they also take every fish they catch. I've heard and have had cases where they catch a catfish or bass and its only 2 inches long and they keep it, or they ask if me and my friends if we catch and release, when we say yes they ask us to put what we catch in the bucket. 95% of them probably don't even have a fishing license. I'm tired of seeing my local spots taken over, over fished then covered in garbage. where is fish and game? or whoever deals with these problems? 

#2 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Have you called MNR to complain?

#3 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

i havent personally but next time i am. its been going on for years but never this bad, and this early in the season. i don't have my licence due to a lost wallet so ill just have to wait till im leaving to call 

#4 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

I never see MNR around here anyway, i dont think they have the man power and time 

#5 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

How can they show up if nobody files a report. 

#6 slicebranford

slicebranford

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

like I said, I will next time.

#7 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Anytime you see people throwing crap in the water that surely does not belong there, call the MNR. Any time you see anyone keeping every single thing they catch and you know its out of season, call the MNR. Anytime you see anyone throw back an evasive species, call the MNR.

Hell if your fishing and you see OPP around tell them they can also deal with it. 

When you don't call nothing happens. Keep that in mind. Here's the number.. 

1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)

And the way the tips line works is an officer looks into it for a follow up then will eventually send someone out to check the place over. So if they are always getting calls about the same place over and over it will be apart of their patrol routine.

#8 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm not sure what gets me more mad that they're keeping everything they catch or them throwing all their garbage in the water. I have no respect for these people

#9 Aqua

Aqua

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

... And your fishing without a license due to a lost wallet... ? I assume that's ok with you ?

#10 richardjai

richardjai

Sunfish

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

i feel like this thread is a bit tilted towards "orientals". Littering, not obeying MNR regs and etc are dont by alot of peoeple of various backgrounds. Im chinese, and i do none of the above.

#11 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

i feel like this thread is a bit tilted towards "orientals". Littering, not obeying MNR regs and etc are dont by alot of peoeple of various backgrounds. Im chinese, and i do none of the above.

It seems that way, and no disrespect to orientals. And its a freaking shame I know a few Chinese and Vietnamese guys who fish responsibly and they are great guys and when I see or hear of crap like this it gives the good guys bad rep.  

#12 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

I think this topic applies to ALL a--holes, be respectful of the enviroment and for christ sakes clean up after yourself!!! But if any one does this this kind of activity call the proper authorities, do not try and deal with it yourself. No need to get yourself in trouble or a altercation.

If possible take a pic and email it to MNR, even better if you can get a license plate of the offenders. Just use common sense when doing so again dont get yourself into a situation that can bring harm to yourself.

#13 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

Anybody who says they are "not trying to be racist" should no be calling Asian people "orientals".  It is actually a derogatory term, but I have a feeling you wouldn't have known that.

Yes, it is a shame that PEOPLE would be doing that.  The Jordan Harbour phenomenon of trashing the place is not limited to one race.  I have seen all walks of life trash that area including the locals who seem to take no pride in their beautiful realestate.  Sad.

Almost as sad as being an angry bigot.

#14 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

Anybody who says they are "not trying to be racist" should no be calling Asian people "orientals".  It is actually a derogatory term, but I have a feeling you wouldn't have known that.

Opps, did not know that.. my bad..

#15 richardjai

richardjai

Sunfish

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

All good. Im personally not offended. I agree some people are generally ignorant when it comes to canadian laws and regulations. If you see them, just politely let them know they should not keep fish that small, and that they can get fined for it. Tell them they can also get fined for littering if the police/MNR comes. They will usuaslly be more careful going forward. In your case, it seems like they are just out for a family outing. The last thing they want is trouble with the law. I have done this several times, usually with a good response. Although if you go in there with a attitude, you'll most likely get a "no english" reply.

#16 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Ive from niagara and fish the harbour occasionaly. NEVER have I seen a MNR officer, not once.

#17 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

in the fall we were out on the Port Dalhousie pier casting for salmon.  out comes the MNR officer to do a licence check.  the first thing someone yells to him is "shoulda been here this afternoon when all the chinamen were here" the officer replied that he does check at different times and they do in fact carry licences.  then he proceeded to catch a "regular" fisherman without a licence.  some people (and cultures) view fish as a food and that's their choice.  unfortunately you have to accept that as long as they are within the guidelines.

#18 salmonfisher

salmonfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Isn't Jordan harbour all private property? I only fish in the boat there...

#19 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:27 PM

Unfortuinatly, you should never make a weekend trip to mountsberg if problems like this bug you. You think Jordan Harbour is bad, you should go to mountsberg on a sunday afternoon and by the dam, count how many white buckets you see. It is atrocious. The closest MNR office around here is in Guelph, hell I even emailed MNR on the easter weeking about OOS fishing and a pike problem at mountsberg... and got a reply last night. It is rare to see MNR on patrol, seems like they care about hunting more than fishing. Its unfortuinate, however thats "how they do it" where they come from or thats what they say. 2 weekends ago, a conservation authority truck was stopping cars leaving mountsberg, however I am unsure if they were inspecting for caught fish or what not, and there was a cop in the parking lot, assumably writing parking tickets? 90% of the people don't pay to go there ontop of everything.

I was panfishing easter weekend at mountsberg and I watched a group of foreigners catch 2 largemouth bass, and a pike... all thrown into their white bucket. I approached them and let them know that it was illegal to keep let alone even fish for the fish that they have posession of at this time(OOS). They explained how they were unaware of the laws and regulations, I laughed and watched them release the fish before I walked away. Shoulda asked if they had a license...doubt it

#20 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

Yeah. Super sad.

And yeah sadly MNR has top priority with hunting over fishing and both are equally important coming from me cause I do both. And honestly you never really hear about any issues with the hunting side of things. And fisheries can be destroyed way way way more quickly then hunting could ever be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Catfishsalmon, trout, carp