• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 rayray519

rayray519

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Has anyone had luck fishing the various parts of the grand river for bass?  I'm from the KW/Cambridge area and I have yet to find any decent spots to fish.  The places I did try, (one behind a Petro Canada gas station) the water was so fast, I could barely get to a decent place and could barely cast.  In other places I have seen driving around town, the water look extremely low.  Really have no idea where I'd find the ideal places to fish for bass (when they are in season).

Does anyone have any general tips or suggestions of places (in general) to try this season?  

I'm willing to drive 1-2hrs if needed to get into some good small mouth battles.  

Please PM me.  Very much appreciated.

Thank you!

#2 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

There's no reason to drive far to get to get into smallmouth on the grand. There's a healthy population of Smallmouth throughout the river especially in your section of the river. If u want tips on river bass fishing check our blog.

#3 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Three suggestions, whacky rigged senkos, live crawfish,
And leg work. Ya gotta throw on a pair of shorts and just walk the river in one small stretch last year I basicaaly went from knowing one spot that got me various results to knowing 6-10 spots , that would produce me about 15 fish a day in various sizes. I found them shallow and found them deep. Just throw that senko out and hold on!

#4 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Here's some info man.. From us. we are always getting into them on the grand once they open we can get out and show you what to look for. Where on the grand are you near?

http://canadianriver...shing-so-i.html

http://canadianriver...-by-calvin.html

#5 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Awesome site kit. Will definetly be checking it out!

#6 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

Thanks dude, appreciate it.

#7 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Has anyone had luck fishing the various parts of the grand river for bass?  I'm from the KW/Cambridge area and I have yet to find any decent spots to fish.  The places I did try, (one behind a Petro Canada gas station) the water was so fast, I could barely get to a decent place and could barely cast.  In other places I have seen driving around town, the water look extremely low.  Really have no idea where I'd find the ideal places to fish for bass (when they are in season).

Does anyone have any general tips or suggestions of places (in general) to try this season?  

I'm willing to drive 1-2hrs if needed to get into some good small mouth battles.  

Please PM me.  Very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Is your inbox full rayray? tried a PM and it won't go thru.

Alfie.

#8 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Dont forget bass season is closed for some time still... accidental catches happen though..

I was out for pike today and hit this guy. Bad angles on the fish as I wanted to snap quick and get him back, somewhere between 3-4 lb I'd say

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

#9 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Not to sound like a dick but that fish should of never left the water.. it should of been unhooked in the water and back to its nest.

#10 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

There's a good chance that the bass haven't started spawing yet due to the cold water...but ya any OOS fish should be released as fast as possible

#11 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

I was going to say, bass is closed for about another month or so...We're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here!

Im dying to get out and start bass fishing, but I don't have the willpower to intentionaly fish OOS. It only will serve us good in the long run!

Many bass caught OOS and already have started spawning don't go back to their nest. Not saying they all dont, just make sure if you catch anything OOS it is released asap!

Nice catch btw :mad:

Matt

#12 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

ahhh that bugs me....keep that fish in the water!! No need for pictures 

#13 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

I think one lf the forum rules is no pics of OOS fish. Could be another forum tho. But that fish should not have been out of the water long enough to take a pic, much less 2. The reason it is 3-4 lbs is cause its full of eggs.

#14 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

We've all hit some awesome fish OOS fish.  Unfortunately they don't count. lol.  Agree with others, best to follow regs and release immediately.  Its a lot about principle as well as proper conservation... even if it is a heartbreak!

#15 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hey guys. Im looking to expand my techniques..and tackle box ahaha anyone got any good crankbaits to use? I only really fish senkos. And crawfish. I have some poppers but havnt had any success on them

#16 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Wahhh Wahhh Wahhh no pictures Wahh Wahh Wahhh

If you look at previous pictures of mine I often do not remove them from the water regardless of seasonality, if removed they are tops 1 foot from the water for the least amount of time possible. 

The only reason I removed him from the water to begin with was to remove the 12 inch leader he had jammed down his gullet. It was tangled/caught on my line. If you look close you might loveing see it, use your eyes. I took 2 extremely quick pictures while my wife was quite literally running the pliers to me, so there was no undue delay caused to that fish by those pictures.

I don't truly care if you sound like a dick or if this bugs you. I am a respecting and responsible fisherman. I don't target OOS. I clean up after myself. I abide the laws and limits. I inform others when they infract. There are a lot of high and mighty people who love to cast judgement without being aware of the situation. I've seen enough people here have their throats jumped down for posting legitimate pictures of fish caught and killed IN SEASON legally, so I fully expected some kickback for this. Yet I posted it anyway :D

I do respect the first sentence of your post FishWhisperer as you highlight a specific rule/reg if true that I might have broken, appreciated and I'll remember that.

#17 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

What I was targeting

Attached Images

• pik.JPG

#18 420fisherman

420fisherman

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

poop happens. Bearinthewoods some of these people think thier fishing royalty . Nice pike btw. What kinda lure did ya get the pike on

#19 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

That was the smallest of the day too! That one was actually on some powerbait, but I had success with a husky jerk and 2 on live minnows too

#20 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Where abouts were you fishing the grand? I've only caught smallies and one walleye ever on the grand.

Matt