• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Well, I have made it out twice so far for the annual freshwater drum run. These fish are coming in from the lake, and they sit in the deep holes of some of the bigger tributaries. My first time out, my favourite spot was taken by a big-time meat hunter. When I got there, he had a basket with 3 drum and a carp. By the time he left he had as many drum as he could stuff into a sizeable basket (so around 20), a 7" carp, and 2 suckers. By no means are any of the fish high quality, but still way too many fish taken out of 1 spot imo.

Anyway, that time I caught 4 drum, 1 little white bass and 3 nice suckers. The drum gave a great fight as usual, can't say the same for the suckers though haha.

Funny little guy:
image.jpg

Was using a pickerel rig and got two fish on two hooks!
image.jpg

From the next day:
Another 'double header'!
image.jpg

And another...
image.jpg

The second day I got around 12 drum and 2 tiny cats. Both times I used worms on a two hooked pickerel rig. Have a few more pics but not gonna post them for privacy reasons. I suggest targeting these big, odd looking fish that give you a great fight. I imagine they will be running in lake O tribs too, but I haven't checked yet. Tight lines!

#2 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Nice drum! I'm gonna have to try a couple spots this weekend

#3 dusty122

dusty122

Sunfish

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

yooooo that looks liek the fish i caught in my topic unknown fish. it was bigger tho

but it looks identical 

#4 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

yooooo that looks liek the fish i caught in my topic unknown fish. it was bigger tho

but it looks identical

I saw that topic, which pic do you mean?

#5 dusty122

dusty122

Sunfish

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

bottom 3

#6 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

bottom 3

They're called freshwater drum. They have saltwater relatives named black drum and redfish. I think there might be more though.

#7 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

awesome fish bud looks almost identical to the black drum i catch down in north carolina :)

#8 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

awesome fish bud looks almost identical to the black drum i catch down in north carolina :)

I was there last summer, didnt get one but i did get a skate which was really cool. It was amazing seeing the guys off the piers hauling in sting rays and sharks.

#9 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

Was out again yesterday and without the crazy winds, the fishing was slower. I got about 8 white bass, a few drum a few suckers.

#10 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:21 AM

Well, I have made it out twice so far for the annual freshwater drum run. These fish are coming in from the lake, and they sit in the deep holes of some of the bigger tributaries. My first time out, my favourite spot was taken by a big-time meat hunter. When I got there, he had a basket with 3 drum and a carp. By the time he left he had as many drum as he could stuff into a sizeable basket (so around 20), a 7" carp, and 2 suckers. By no means are any of the fish high quality, but still way too many fish taken out of 1 spot imo.

Anyway, that time I caught 4 drum, 1 little white bass and 3 nice suckers. The drum gave a great fight as usual, can't say the same for the suckers though haha.

Funny little guy:
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Was using a pickerel rig and got two fish on two hooks!
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

From the next day:
Another 'double header'!
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And another...
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The second day I got around 12 drum and 2 tiny cats. Both times I used worms on a two hooked pickerel rig. Have a few more pics but not gonna post them for privacy reasons. I suggest targeting these big, odd looking fish that give you a great fight. I imagine they will be running in lake O tribs too, but I haven't checked yet. Tight lines!

How do they taste? And wht is the limit on them??

#11 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

nice drums. i only caught my first and only last year. it gave me a fun fight. i hope to catch some more this year as i live in burlington now and it's easier to get to niagara and erie area.

#12 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

these things are a blast on the centerpin and light line. you can get into some very large ones too...

#13 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

How do they taste? And wht is the limit on them??

I don't believe there is a limit. I know the different cultures keep them to eat, but they are a coarse fish.

these things are a blast on the centerpin and light line. you can get into some very large ones too...

I haven't tried that yet, but sounds like fun. The biggest one I've gotten was around 27" in port maitland off the pier.

#14 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Ive taken them on flies on Toronto Island.  Was chasing large mouth, group came in and started smashing my zonkers.  awesome fight, just like a carp

IMG_2516.JPG