• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

A few days ago, my friend Richard mentioned that there were small fish swarming all around his boat. I suspected that they were Alewife, and got a confirmation when Richard sent me a photo of a dead fish floating on the surface.

We tried for them on Monday after work but they ignored small chunks of nightcrawler or small segments of garden worm. They would circle our jigged bait...but they would not hit.

We tried it again today, and with a tip from the locals (ie. other boaters in the marina), we finally figured out what they wanted.

Alewife (Alosa pseudoharengus) - Species #389!

Actinopterygii_Clupeiformes_Clupeidae_Al

No, they were not snagged. I don't count snagged fish on my lifelist...nor do I think snagged fish is fair.

IMG_1598_post.jpg

11 more to go until #400!

#2 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

Probably flossed. Hahaha only kidding.

They look harmless but did you know the section behind their cloaca is sharp?

#3 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

It's not that sharp at all compared to other fish that I've handled.

Would love to see someone try to floss an Alewife. They would pull their hair out trying.

#4 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:52 AM

Species #389... sounds like the name of a Star Trek Voyager nemesis...

Although these little guys are probably no threat to Star Fleet. 

#5 navairum

navairum

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

^^Thats what I thought lol

#6 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

With their large emty eyes and a penchant to follow the prime directives of their female leaders, I surmise they were assimilated already.

#7 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

We tried it again today, and with a tip from the locals (ie. other boaters in the marina), we finally figured out what they wanted.

What did you get them on?

I heard Sabiki rigs work well.

#8 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

The answer is in the picture...and yes, you're already half way there to your answer. ;-)

#9 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

You too, ST??  Alewives, banistickles----surely there are bigger fish ti fry! :mrgreen:  :lol:

#10 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

You too, ST??  Alewives, banistickles----surely there are bigger fish ti fry! :mrgreen:  :lol:

Yes, yes there is.

This guy eats your Steelhead for lunch (if there are Steelhead in the Indian Ocean).

Actinopterygii_Perciformes_Carangidae_Se

And this guy eats your Largemouth Bass for a snack.

Actinopterygii_Lepisosteiformes_Lepisost

Pathetic Ontario anglers who fish for such small pathetic "bait" as Steelhead and Largemouth Bass.

"Surely there are bigger fish to fry!" :razz:

#11 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Touche!!  :lol:(yep---taking a bass would be like popping a smartie!) 

#12 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Touche!!  :lol:(yep---taking a bass would be like popping a smartie!) 

Fact is...after fishing in Ontario for most of my life (almost 22 years), the common game species are less and less challenging by the day. While searching for Rudd on Saturday, there were 2lb Smallmouths and 2-3lb Largemouths to be caught easily (if it wasn't out-of-season). But point is that once you figure out how to catch them, and been doing that for that many years, it's just the "same old, same old" year in and year out.

I find it much more fun to hunt down species that are less known (or even unknown)...fish that hardly anyone targets...fish that there are little to no information readily available that one can rely upon. Because part of the fun in fishing is to constantly learn...and the learning curve levels off quite a bit after catching bass for 20 years.

So, even if it is a small unassuming species like the Alewife, or Three-spine Stickleback, or Rudd, they provide just as much challenge as it is to hunt down a Steelhead or a Largemouth Bass or a Northern Pike. In fact, I would argue it is easier to hunt down popular game fish due to the sheer amount of information readily available. A non-biting Three-spine Stickleback is just as frustrating as a non-biting Steelhead. A rare Least Darter is just as challenging to find and hook as a Lake Sturgeon.

In the end, it is all about how you approach angling...and whether you have an opened mind or not.

Beauty (and challenge) is in the eye of the beholder. ;-)

BTW, Steelhead are not hard to catch...we caught them without even trying on Saturday in late June on a river where people said they caught nothing all day. :razz:  Those Steelheads are pathetic little fish...too easy to catch...where is the challenge? They didn't even give up much of a fight. I had it in hand within a minute...fishing in a fairly good current. :razz:

#13 xxxSIBxxx

xxxSIBxxx

Sunfish

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Who fishes for drop backs at this time of year anyways lol they've used all there energy going up the river to spawn and you wanna catch them on there journey back to the lake when there half dead hahahaha, did that ever cross your mind why it was soo easy to bring it in lmao and you say you've been fishing well over 20 years, you should have known that Mr. you're too good to catch fish in Ontario.

#14 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

Who fishes for drop backs at this time of year anyways lol they've used all there energy going up the river to spawn and you wanna catch them on there journey back to the lake when there half dead hahahaha, did that ever cross your mind why it was soo easy to bring it in lmao and you say you've been fishing well over 20 years, you should have known that Mr. you're too good to catch fish in Ontario.

Ooo...someone take an offense...you don't get the sarcasm I guess.

What, you mean this early October Steelhead on the Niagara (note the tress haven't even change colours yet)?

IMG_1555.jpg

Or this blinking December cold water Niagara Steelehad (if you think warm water Steelhead fights like trash)?

2008_12_14_Niagara_River001.jpg

Or do you mean this early November Brown Trout?

Brown_Trout_29.5in_Nov_2005_post.jpg

Or do you mean this 25lb Chinook on leadcore line?

DSC03780.jpg

Pffff...big freaking deal...

Even Niagara Steelheads, in early October, as fresh as they can be and in as big and strong a river system as you can get...still pale in comparison to a fight that a 5lb Yellow Jack gives...

Yes, I've caught fresh blinking Steelhead in late summer when no one are on the banks at Queenston. I used to spend 3 days a week fishing down in that area for 5 straight years...they are not hard to catch.

Fact is...if you had read my latest report...catching a Steelhead in late June in the river requires shamrock, horseshoe, rabbit's foot, ZERO BANANAS...and definitely a sprinkle of fairy dust. But the fact that we caught something, anything...within 2 hours of fishing...just less than an hour after arrival...when the water was muddy and visibility was only 12" at best...and the fact that everyone fishing there, all day as they professed, caught zip, zero, nada...even the locals and people who are fishing in waders in the prime locations...that can't be luck, can it? I mean, we did catch a couple of Channel Catfish, which is a more expected and common catch at this time of year...the Steelhead is just a fluke...but we did catch 2 of them...so maybe it's not such a fluke after all?

Again, not saying I'm superstar...but at the same time...not saying that it's absolutely gobsmack challenging either...if you figured out how to fish under certain conditions at certain locations for certain species at certain time of year...

Notice all those qualifying phrases...yes, it takes time and effort to figure things out...that's part of the challenge...but once you figured it out, the challenge becomes moot...

That's why local amatures often beat pros at tournaments...

And that's why some people don't bother to chase Steelhead in June...

Just saying...

#15 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

Pathetic Ontario anglers who fish for such small pathetic "bait" as Steelhead and Largemouth Bass.

"Surely there are bigger fish to fry!" :razz:

Oh_stop_it_you.png

#16 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Oh_stop_it_you.png

Some gets the irony...and some don't...oh well...

We are NOTHING compared to Australians who fish for Black Marlin and Yellowfin Tuna landbased...meaning off a cliff with barely a ledge to stand on...and no way to chase a 300lb billfish on the line. Their bait is bigger than most bass you'll ever catch.

Saying to others that "Oh, this fish is too little to worth your salt to fish." or "Why are you wasting time to catch bait size fish?"...there is someone else out there who laughs at us for catching our puny (and weak) freshwater fish...

I see people all proud going south to Mexico catching 5lb Skipjack Tuna or football Yellowfin Tuna...we go trolling with those size "bait"...

Like I said...keep an opened mind...it is how you approach fishing...not the size of the targets you are after...or the popularity of the fish you are after.

Catching a 1lb bluegill with 0.5lb line would be immensely challenging in its own right.

#17 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

I dont think fishing is all about bigger catch, or even a challenging catch. Some people just like to sit back and relax.

#18 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

I dont think fishing is all about bigger catch, or even a challenging catch. Some people just like to sit back and relax.

And that is absolutely fine...but don't scoff at people because they like to catch something "small and not worthy"...if your argument is to simply enjoy fishing for what fishing is to you...or to others. In that case, the size of the catch, the popularity of the catch, or even the difficulty of the catch...none of that should matter...and people should celebrate fishing for what fishing really is...learning to catch and actually catching fish...and enjoying the journey along the way...how ever relaxing or stressful or exciting you make it to be.

Last I checked, Alewife is still a fish...so is a Muskie.

But if people are going to throw comments around, then I will throw pictures up to shut them up...simple as that :P

I've caught my share of big fish...but I find catching tiny little fish just as challenging...if not even more challenging.

I've also caught most if not all the gamefish in Ontario (challenge me and I'll start posting pictures :P )...whatever is left is not really of interest to others...like River Redhorse, American Eel, Quillback Carpsucker, Mottled Sculpin...I can go on forever on fish that not many even know to exist...

#19 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Got confirmation from the MNR today that it's permissible to catch alewife and use them dead as bait. Not allowed to net them though and not allowed to transport live or use live. 

They have that tantalizing silver flash to them, that I'll bet will work amazing for bait! I caught my first ever real fish on a small dead minnow, and it was a huge pike. So I have a soft spot for small silvery baitfish :lol: 

#20 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

To me fishing is a hobby, I enjoy my time out doors in nature and enjoy the sights and sounds around me when I get out, does it matter if I catch a fish or how big it is? No, I just spent 5 hours playing with 6 once Bluegills and Perch on Sunday Morning.

To others fishing is a numbers game, they have to catch fish to enjoy it, they over power fish with 30-80lb braid, I mean wheres the fun and challenge in that? There isn't one.

Very few people have or monetary resources to chase the bigger salt water species, so we take what we can get.  

To you, it may be just another 'pathetic' Ontario fish, to the person that caught it, its a measure of success on the water that brings them happiness.