Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

bit late as i was in an area with no internet for a while but count me in

#62 Nick Mckenzie

Nick Mckenzie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Is anyone heading up from the Barrie area? Maybe split on gas? I want to go but my envoy would kill me and simcoe is a 2 min drive haha

#63 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Sweet glad your coming shmog!

#64 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

I placed a good sized order through reel flies. Can't wait to see how they fish. They looked awesome on the site lol.

#65 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:06 AM

Awesome.

#66 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

hey shawarma! bring some extras bud maybe we can do a trade lol.(unless you aint catching ;) )

#67 DaveC

DaveC

Sunfish

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Bouface streamers in Black and or Olive work really well for bass on the grand.

#68 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

hey shawarma! bring some extras bud maybe we can do a trade lol.(unless you aint catching ;) )

I'll have to figure out how to cast heavy/weighted flies first so we'll see how it goes lol. It was a mess trying yesterday. Felt like i was going to peg myself in the head.

#69 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

For the newbies on the thread who haven't figure out how to tie all the pieces of line together starting from backing to leader, here's the best video i've found: https://www.youtube....v=MFm9mbd2e6s. 

#70 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

I'll have to figure out how to cast heavy/weighted flies first so we'll see how it goes lol. It was a mess trying yesterday. Felt like i was going to peg myself in the head.

Gotta learn the Belgian cast. Lol.

#71 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Looks like im out, just got call from work... Even though I had it booked off... perks of being the rookie.. have fun guys and gals

#72 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Oh you suck lol.

#73 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Next weekend! Who-else is coming??

#74 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hey guys, can I get a rough estimate of how many sets of flies I should be bringing?

#75 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

I need some bass/pike flies. And would love to write another article for you Chris for some.

#76 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Also. I was thinking of switching the event to the Nith not too far from the original spot and way more nicer then the grand. I headed to the grand the other day water is pretty low. Lowest I've seen it in a while.

Nith is a awesome river. Has smallies, pike and eyes and some monster carp. The tail holds bows but that's way up stream. There's several access points I know of and they are very nice to fish. The river surely is not as wide as the grand, about half the size. It's entirely up to what you guys want to do.

If we do the either rivers bring shallow diving lures that dive no more then 2' or you will be smacking bottom.

#77 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

What kind of numbers are we talking about here for carp? Something like that school we saw on the grand?

#78 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Also. I was thinking of switching the event to the Nith not too far from the original spot and way more nicer then the grand. I headed to the grand the other day water is pretty low. Lowest I've seen it in a while.
Nith is a awesome river. Has smallies, pike and eyes and some monster carp. The tail holds bows but that's way up stream. There's several access points I know of and they are very nice to fish. The river surely is not as wide as the grand, about half the size. It's entirely up to what you guys want to do.
If we do the either rivers bring shallow diving lures that dive no more then 2' or you will be smacking bottom.

Are you thinking of the part of the Nith we went to? Cause that's a heck of a spot to get to especially with a big group

#79 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Doesn't matter to me about location. Both are the same hour drive so it's all good from that point of view. 

Biggest thing really is where do we have a bigger chance of getting into fish? 

I know what you mean about the grand being low. I was out last weekend and the same place we went to in Elora was so low it was nuts.

#80 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

No. Not where we were Calvin hard as hell to walk in that. Closer to my place. I've gotten into lots of fish on the Nith. Chris there's groups of carp all over the Nith. Just gotta find the slow moving water. I know of one spot we can go to. No parking lot it's on a dirt road lots to walk we can explore a good stretch I have went up stream but not down. There's a deep pocket under the bridge and there was a big group of carp under there. All monsters.

And with the grand being so low this year I believe it has to do with the new dam in fergus they put up this year just outside where the gorges are. Think it was a pretty bad move. Spots I fished last year are almost a foot lower then last year. No good.

Here's the location.

Dropped Pin
near Nith River, Ontario
http://goo.gl/maps/Iyq0d

I've walked up stream all the way to the field you see near the river on the corner could not wade anymore cause the water was a tad higher then normal and it kinda gorges up with steep hills so you can't get out. And down stream I've been to the next bridge but not in up in between. Great fishing down there too.

Another option is conostoga river that we never did either. Browns, bass, eyes, pike. Just throwing that out there too guys.