• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

I will for sure be trying to find deeper schools on the crank baits but if the bass are still shallow and near a bed, sorry to say but they will most likely end up on my jig!

#42 buckhorn-bassin

buckhorn-bassin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I will for sure be trying to find deeper schools on the crank baits but if the bass are still shallow and near a bed, sorry to say but they will most likely end up on my jig!

I don't think you'll find any on beds if you plan on hitting rice for opener.. Shallow 100%.. I was up in the kawarthas last weekend and didn't see a single fish on a bed.. Panfish were spawning tho

#43 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Lol. This thread took a left turn. I heard Bass is good straight fry w/o batter.

smallmouth yes, largies no! most likely the one and only dish for largies os s&s but id rather have smb cause the meat is more tight and tastier, thats IMO

#44 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Was targeting Pike yesterday...and had some HUGE incidental hits...They are being aggressive as heck...one SMB took my lure about 2 feet out of the water...and one that got landed and released was about 4lbs...hooked in the stomach...released in the water...and another about 2-1/2 landed and quickly released. I was doing a run and gun for Pike..and as soon as it was a Bass hit...I moved on. 

#45 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

Yep same here. Was fishing for sheepshead while camping with my friends this past weekend and all we were catching was largemouth and a ton of rockies on a pier/ marina in Lake Erie. Needless to say we had a rockbass dinner :P

#46 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

I can't wait :)

Anyone interested in fishing Center Island on Sunday?

#47 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Im going to T-islands on weekend. Not sure when. What time you going pump?

#48 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

I wanna start early but I'll be there the whole day.

Saturday, I'll try that spot where I first met you but I'll be there later in the evening.

I'll confirm by friday.

#49 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

well, if im spending $7 to T-islands, i might as well go on the first ferry at 6.30am and camp there till 8-9pm. going to drag my friend with me as well.

il go to T-islands on sat or sunday, which every day is cooler, and not raining.

#50 JordanMcK

JordanMcK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Jigging a white curlytail grub is absolutely deadly for smallmouth on the Grand!.. That, and any shallow diving fat shad will work great there as well.

#51 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Jigging a white curlytail grub is absolutely deadly for smallmouth on the Grand!.. That, and any shallow diving fat shad will work great there as well.

yep white or black grubs are killer along with my personal favourite , a tube

#52 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

yep white or black grubs are killer along with my personal favourite , a tube

Agree tubes, tubes, tubes, smallies kill them . I will be out on Erie. Last year tried Stike King Coffee tubes and they worked AMAZING. Seriously if you fish tubes you have got to try these.

#53 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

Ya I've heard good things about them, will have to try them out. I mostly use strike king bitsy tubes ando phenix tubes

#54 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

Honestly, most of this season I will be using mainly 5 types of baits. 1 is obviously a jig with a Zoom chunk 2 would be a flippin craw 3 Senkos wacky all day! 4 Frogs 5 can be a mix of spinnerbaits on a choppy day or crank baits... Also tubes cannot forget those. I like tubes ahha

#55 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

I never can tell what weight jig to use when. What about color? Am I matching the color of the tube and whatever else is attached to it?

#56 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

weightless tubes are killers. or you can put a small split shot 4" from the hook. I usually use bullet sinkers.

#57 azp

azp

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

I'll be fishing the tri-lakes opener tourney next weekend. I'm really looking forward to fishing for bass again. I was on all three lakes last weekend and from what I seen the spawn is pretty much over. Seen no bass on beds.. Lots still in shallow.. Water temp 69-75ish last Saturday

hey buck i'm looking to be on the trilakes alot this summer as well, let you know when i go

#58 MrCybang

MrCybang

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

What's a good basic rig to catch bass? I currently have a 7' med rod, 8lbs and 6 lbs test line, a few mepps spinners and a hand full of rapalas.

#59 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

That rod is a good all around setup for a number of species. Where are you fishing? I can point you out better on what lures to use. But the lures you mentioned work for a variety of species.

#60 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Tomorrow Lake O Bass Opener

excited-baby.gif