• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:31 AM

hey guys, i needed some input on mainlines, i personally have trilene xl spooled on my shift, now heres the story, i originally spooled it with sunline 10lb main, the problem i had with it was it was the diameter was a little too small for me, it gets caught in my fingers alot when i sidecast, my accuracy is compromised when i wallis it so i decided to spool it up with a bigger 12 lb trilene xl, better for my side casts but i find that the line doesnt quite run smooth along the guides when im on the retreive, as if it feels like its dragging along the guides ( the gides were the flared aluminum gides on a fenwick hmx ) now my biggest qustion is, what mainline do you find that is smoother and has a more " round " feel through it? i dont mind the diameter to test rating ratio, but i would prefer the average diameter, i need some advice on this cause i really wanted to spool up but then at the same time doesnt want to regret the line i will get wouldnt really satisfy me, and if anyone knows the brand they used to spool you up at tightlines i would really appreciate some info, cause the one anthony spooled my classic drifter up with is still holding good and smooth, or maybe just the guide inserts on the shimano clarus rods make the retreive smoother, i would really really apprecite your guys and gals input, thanks

CLASSIC DRIFTER

#2 eric

eric

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

best mono i use is Sufix Tritanium. but i doubt you can find it locally here.

guides play a big role,,, like SiC or regular AL oxides.. the AL is definitely not as smooth.

also keeping any lines wet helps alot.. especially if the water is a bit dirty.
dried dirty water lines running through guides is like rubbing sandpaper in consistency.

so before retrieving, drop the tip into the water to wet the whole line, it helps.

#3 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

I use Gamma 10lb. on my HMX outfit.

#4 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

thanks for the input guys,

best mono i use is Sufix Tritanium. but i doubt you can find it locally here.

guides play a big role,,, like SiC or regular AL oxides.. the AL is definitely not as smooth.
also keeping any lines wet helps alot.. especially if the water is a bit dirty.
dried dirty water lines running through guides is like rubbing sandpaper in consistency.
so before retrieving, drop the tip into the water to wet the whole line, it helps.

I use Gamma 10lb. on my HMX outfit.

who makes gamma anyway? and how are the prices on let say a 300 yrd spool? and where can i get it? thanks!

#5 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

I don't know who makes the line, but is available at most good quality tackle stores like angling sport in London or Lambeth rod and tackle.

#6 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

I don't know who makes the line, but is available at most good quality tackle stores like angling sport in London or Lambeth rod and tackle.

thanks for the info, i will look into that soon,

#7 FISHIN'king

FISHIN'king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

10lb sufix mono

#8 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

I plan to use seagaur senshi this year

#9 FISHIN'king

FISHIN'king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

Or maybe 15lb braid, it's pretty smooth and thin (it's like 6lb diameter)

#10 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

I maybe using seguar or sunline, i dunno, maybe its time to spend a few more bucks on better mono than the trilene stuff that i have

#11 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

The senshi is nice because it is a blue fluorescent colour allowing you to see it above water; but underwater it looks like a standard mono. I used some over the weekend, well at least tried some on a buddies rod. He uses it for senko fishing for that exact reason of being hi vis yet you can tie straight 

#12 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:20 PM

8 to 10 lb Sufix promix hands down the best line I have used.

You can only find it on e-bay

#13 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

I plan to use seagaur senshi this year

I've used the Senshi for the past year; its supple and its got a nice small diameter, which gives me a great casting distance. I kinda liked the blue tinge of the line above the water as well. Great for following your line, while not being overly hi-vis.

However the abrasion resistance of this line is terrible; any little nicks you get is going to lead to a break-off  when you get a fish on. 

If Seaguar improves the abrasion resistance of this line, it will definitely be one of the best out there.

#14 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Ande  mono   great diameter, cheap, tried, tested and truly the best bang for your buck.  $8.99 for a spool and you should get two reels from one spool.   Why spend the money when this stuff works like a charm   

#15 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

cant go wrong with ande mono

#16 bfloater

bfloater

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

cant go wrong with ande mono

Been using Ande all last season.  Find the much better than promix and easier to find with comparable performance. I'd still stay with promix if I didn't have buy a bulk spool at 80 buck

#17 maxpower

maxpower

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Amazon.com sells Sufix Promix - $8 for the 400 yard spools. Shipping's a little pricey though, unless you're ordering other things to make it worthwhile.

#18 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

after stripping around 30 ft of end line from the spool, i find that the line was a bit better, but after 5 battles with fresh folks last week it was back to square 1, rugged/rough line kills my casts a little bit, i think its due to the guides not having any form of rubber/plastic inserts on em, is there any place i could get them from? close to  SCARBOROUGH OR RIChmond hill area? cause its not worth it for me to get new guides re-tied onto the rod that i have. thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate it

#19 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Was very impressed with my 12lb senshi today... FYI

#20 jkw

jkw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

I use Ande 10 lb, it does the job well. I find that all mono / floro lines have a limited performance lifespan (no matter what setup / species I am fishing for). To get around having to respool and throw out all kinds of excessive amounts of line, I have started increasing my backing  to fill most of the spool (I even use old braid) and only running about 50-75 yards of float line at a time. that way I use it until I start to have problems and the re-spool is easier and less expensive. 

Remember to burn or cut up your old line! apparently it takes the longest amount of time to breakdown at the dump. Terrible for animals too.