• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

I've fished the same setup as the person next to me and they've caught and i haven't. That's fairly common.. but if you stick to what you're doing and it isn't working, you need to change it up. 

How about changing that shrimp to some sardines? Put on something smelly.. try the leaders that others are suggesting. Sorry dude, but there's no sense in buying pre-made leaders when fishing for cats. It's not difficult to buy 300yrs of 15lb mono and cutting off a foot and tying it to a hook. 

The biggest thing you take away from this "not catching" is trying somethign different. What will it hurt? Worst case you don't catch anything - so status quo. Best case you catch fish.

#22 dusty122

dusty122

Sunfish

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

I've fished the same setup as the person next to me and they've caught and i haven't. That's fairly common.. but if you stick to what you're doing and it isn't working, you need to change it up. 

How about changing that shrimp to some sardines? Put on something smelly.. try the leaders that others are suggesting. Sorry dude, but there's no sense in buying pre-made leaders when fishing for cats. It's not difficult to buy 300yrs of 15lb mono and cutting off a foot and tying it to a hook. 

The biggest thing you take away from this "not catching" is trying somethign different. What will it hurt? Worst case you don't catch anything - so status quo. Best case you catch fish.

im gonna try chicken blood or chicken liver next time

#23 dusty122

dusty122

Sunfish

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

^^^

Ok, you know what, maybe I gave you too much credit.

Fish see line.  When fish sees line.  Fish no bite.  Fishing 101.

Do yourself a favour, buy some light mono, some assorted hooks and a box of worms like every other person who woke up one Saturday and decided to try fishing.

when it comes to channel cats it dont make a difference i fish very dirty water and from what i read about cats they eat anything that smells nasty. 

like i said earlier im gonna try after the water warms up 

#24 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

im gonna try chicken blood or chicken liver next time

If you're fishing a hot day, let that liver sit on a rock in the sun for a while so it gets nice and disgustingly stinky. That'll bring them cats around. 

#25 BnK

BnK

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

Happened to us all, just keep your head on and keep grinding it out. It'll all be worth it later :)

#26 azp

azp

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

are you casting in the right spots?  Just cuz u two sit together I'm pretty sure you both can't cast to the same spot anyhow...which is prob y he's getting them. 

I'm going on a hunch but its prob. how you are presenting it that probably spooks/turns them off, or you're just not putting the bait where the fish are.  Thats about as general as advices get lol but hey it works

#27 Jet fishin

Jet fishin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

Just use dead minnows in still water and time it. And get mono line

#28 dusty122

dusty122

Sunfish

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Just use dead minnows in still water and time it. And get mono line

with minows id get nothing but sheephead. and suckers and carps. 

i caught 1 today!!! small one. and my friend caught 2 today. 

nothign changed today used the same setup. 

#29 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

^^^

Congratulations.

You came crying to the fishing community how you can't catch fish.  Dozen people took time out to give you good advice and you come back say that you caught a small catfish and didn't use anybody's suggestions.

So what was the problem again?  You just wanted us to pat you on the head and say, "No worries Dusty, nothing wrong with your setup, just some tough luck."

I read some very good advice from some accomplished anglers in this thread and you shot most of them down with some lamo excuse why you can't take their advice.

Take advice graciously, or people will stop helping you.  Nobody likes a twat that feeds on the time and energy of others.

#30 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

maybe spend less time fishing and more time looking for a job so you can get the right gear for the job.  50lb braid....wtf......i cast for salmon with 15lb braid with a 10lb fluoro leader. just because you're fishing dirty water, doesn't mean the fish can't pick up the movement of a thicker line

you shoot down great advice from everyone here.  the best thing you can do when not catching fish is change your bait and yet you refuse to do that because your friend said that shrimp work  TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT don't be such a stubborn @ss

#31 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT don't be such a stubborn @ss

That's is the best advice. Until then, nothing much we can say can help you, Dusty.

#32 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

50lb. will not cut it. stop watching river monsters....lol

#33 dusty122

dusty122

Sunfish

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

nasty people. 

i never told you people to use 50lb braid. it works for me so i use it. i can feel the most sensitive minnow peck to the hit and run with a channel cat. yesterday i pulled in someones rig because of a useless line. maybe 10lb mono. 

You came crying to the fishing community how you can't catch fish.  Dozen people took time out to give you good advice and you come back say that you caught a small catfish and didn't use anybody's suggestions.

i made this topic to see if im missing anything. i cant understand why its soo slow. so i ask and see if people agree with me on what im doing or if i should improve on something. 

you were so nice and im happy theres a community to go to for help when needed. then because i get lucky one day i get flack. 

by the way i bought some chicken liver last night and some cheese cloth to rap it in, im gonna try use that next time i go out. i dont discard  your posts as useless info. i compare my set up to others and see were i need to make improvements. 

maybe spend less time fishing and more time looking for a job so you can get the right gear for the job.  50lb braid....wtf......i cast for salmon with 15lb braid with a 10lb fluoro leader. just because you're fishing dirty water, doesn't mean the fish can't pick up the movement of a thicker line

this a FISHING FORUM not kijiji or the local classifieds in the paper i didnt ask one for help on finding a job. thats my personal life so please stay out of it. 

like i said i came here for feedback and help to see what im missing or should do instead what i do with that is my business right? 

u guys were so nice giving me advice, and now your chewing me out. 

#34 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

nasty people. 

i never told you people to use 50lb braid. it works for me so i use it. i can feel the most sensitive minnow peck to the hit and run with a channel cat. yesterday i pulled in someones rig because of a useless line. maybe 10lb mono. 

i made this topic to see if im missing anything. i cant understand why its soo slow. so i ask and see if people agree with me on what im doing or if i should improve on something.

you were so nice and im happy theres a community to go to for help when needed. then because i get lucky one day i get flack. 

by the way i bought some chicken liver last night and some cheese cloth to rap it in, im gonna try use that next time i go out. i dont discard  your posts as useless info. i compare my set up to others and see were i need to make improvements. 

Dude I don't know what to say anymore. You started this thread with the title....people started pointing out the flaws in your setup. We're trying to point you to the right direction. You don't understand why it's slow yet the guy next to you was catching fish? You already had the tips on how to improve on something. Obviously when comparing your setup (50lbs braid) vs. the advices given (light lines 6lb - 12lb). There's not much difference in your eyes hence there's no need to make improvements. At the end of the day it's what you think will work that will build your confidence in fishing. Good luck on your time in the water. 

#35 JDean

JDean

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

Change spots.  Rivers change and lake bottoms change.  With the winter we had and the amount of ice and thaw there had to be some changes to the structure... New logs and structure deposited, new holes dug out from the thaw.    Just cause one guys rig works for him doesn't mean it will work for you.  and just because a spot was good last year don't make it good this year.

Move spots, try a different rigging, or a different bait.  The all time best catfish bait to try it.....wait for it...........WORMS.  Don't tell anyone I told you that.  Its a secret

#36 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

Good luck Dusty.

#37 thebigchombowombocombo

thebigchombowombocombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

Is this your setup? http://www.learntoca...rig_catfish.jpg

Minus the peg float lol

#38 Aqua

Aqua

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

Sadly I'm enjoying this....

#39 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Is this your setup? http://www.learntoca...rig_catfish.jpg

Minus the peg float lol

that's how I fish for cats...yes minus the peg float. nothing wrong with that set up. Caught sheephead, carp & cats on that....worm baits.

#40 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Pick up the Suffix 17lb/100yards mono for $2.50 at the Dollarama.

Add a couple yards to your braid and see if that helps.