• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Well, today I headed off to one of my favourite dog-days of summer hotspots. It is connected to lake Onatrio and holds a variety of lake fish year round, typically white bass, perch and drum in the summer, with trout and salmon in the fall. I started off with a typical pickerel rig with worms, and launched it out as far as I could. I caught a few white bass, a few perch, and a few small drum. It was almost 9am when my third of a worm got smashed! At first I thought it was a big old drum. It was giving some really good tugs, when suddenly a 4 foot fish flew straight out of the water, clearing it by a whole foot. I scrapped the drum idea, and decided it was a musky, pike or possible a sturgeon, but I highly doubted it was a sturgeon. The next 15 minutes was a grueling fight, filled with huge runs and sore arms. Everytime it got it a few feet from the pier, it would dash back to the bottom, pulling out 15+ feet of line each time. Eventually I was tired of the fish doing the same thing, so I buckled down on the drag and hoped for dear life that the 20lb power pro would hold up. Well it did, and out popped the most prehistoric beast I have ever seen in person.

image.jpg

The lake sturgeon was 40" and made a hole in my 70$ rubber net, but well worth it IMO.

image.jpg

Can't believe that the thing tried to eat a 1 inch piece of worm, and can't believe that a cheap #6 hook held up. The fish got a few pics and was released back to the deep very quickly. It was a ton of fun to fight these incredible fish, and also to see one for the first time. I really hope that these fish come back so that we can actually target these amazing creatures. The good news is, this isn't the first time a sturgeon has been caught there, there have been numerous catches and during the salmon run last fall at least 2 that I know of were caught and released.

Well thanks for reading!

#2 Jiggin

Jiggin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Not a bad fish.  About 6 years ago I caught a 30lb sturgeon on a lake in Northern Ontario (Zone 10) called Rock Lake.  Was a 52" fish.

I was using a medium rod, with 6lb test and a tube jig.  Took about 20 minutes to get it into the boat.  It did 1 big jump, but then just kept going to bottom and sitting there.  My brother's net also suffered damage getting it into the boat; the cheap aluminum handle bent to about 45 degrees.

I've got pictures of it on my old laptop.

#3 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Nice little sturgeon you got there....

You should be happy about it...seems like you got this blank look on your face.

#4 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:12 PM

Wow nice fish. Nice to hear that more and more of them are being caught.

#5 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

That's amazing.

Congrats!

#6 classic drifter

classic drifter

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

wicked fish man! hopefully lady luck and the fishing gods send one on my way unexpectedly, definately the best way to catch a sturgeon is by surprise! nice fish man! thanks for posting

#7 navairum

navairum

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Awesome fish!  Definitely prehistoric!

#8 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thanks guys! Let's hope that the fish gods send the same amount of sturgeon into the great lakes as there used to be!

Nice little sturgeon you got there....
You should be happy about it...seems like you got this blank look on your face.

Lmao

#9 AndrewCura

AndrewCura

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Great catch! Congrats!

#10 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Wow, cool catch, I would be pretty stunned if I caught one of those.

#11 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

nice little guy, ya, get tons of them in the notty, can't keep them off in the spring, no shortage of them in the spots i fish, gets annoying really quick, if it were me i wouldn't be happy about a hole in a $70 rubber net lol, we go to montreal for them every summer, going in a few weeks actually.

#12 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

nice little guy, ya, get tons of them in the notty, can't keep them off in the spring, no shortage of them in the spots i fish, gets annoying really quick, if it were me i wouldn't be happy about a hole in a $70 rubber net lol, we go to montreal for them every summer, going in a few weeks actually.

For me, it was my first sturgeon and those things just look so cool. Plus they fight like crazy, and I know what kind of shape they are in population wise. Do you fish the St. Lawrence for them?

#13 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

That's cool!

#14 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

Very nice indeed!!

#15 FISHIN'king

FISHIN'king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:06 AM

It's great seeing the pop. Coming back, I hope they do so future generations can enjoy them and I hope they flourish