4 replies to this topic

#1 Grappler29

Grappler29

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Hey OFF!

Heading up to Algonquin Park, specifically North Tea lake on saturday! Picked up a couple nice lures and some hooks. Just one thing, however. One package of hooks I bought has a stick protruding out of the eye, alongside what I presume to be the shank of the hook. I am wondering what this extra stick is used for and how to use it?

I have attached a picture as a file. Also, the extra stick I am referring to is the long black thing with the grips or whatever they are lol.

All help is greatly appreciated, and so is any other advice pertaining to fishing tips for Algonquin Park, or any other advice! 

Grappler29

Attached Images

• Photo on 2014-06-29 at 4.33 PM.jpg

#2 Pwnisher

Pwnisher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Hi Grappler,

I think the extra stick that you are referring to is used to screw into the head of a soft plastic worm when using a Texas rig setup. The extra stick is screwed through the plastic worm's head and then the actual hook is pierced at the mid section of the worm. Here's a video that I was watching a few days ago in which he goes over how to use that style of hook. He discusses it at 8:11. 

http://youtu.be/QT8wjfVlf9E?t=8m11s

As for tips for Algonquin Park, maybe someone can help you out as I have never fished there. Hope I helped you out a bit!

#3 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

Pwnisher pretty well described the type of hook you bought. It is just another way to help with the senko style or even swim bait style. I tend to just use a regular EWG hook.

#4 Grappler29

Grappler29

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Pwnisher and alwayscatching! Great help!

Grappler

#5 Pwnisher

Pwnisher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

No problem! Enjoy the beautiful scenery at Algonquin!