• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

I've check Sail so far but they had few smaller sized fly rods and even less rod and reel combos. I'm going to check out LeBarons in Mississauga this Sunday and maybe Bass Pro Shops.

Looking for something for small tributary fishing. Any suggestions?

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

What price range are you looking at?

#3 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

Not bass pro and definitely not lebarons!!! Go to sail and pick up the butterstick, I really can't say enough about the rod!

#4 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Not bass pro and definitely not lebarons!!! Go to sail and pick up the butterstick, I really can't say enough about the rod!

I checked sail but found nothing in a combo at the time.

Looking to spend no more then $300 max which I know won't get you much but I do have a budget.

#5 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

The fly fishing pro at sail told me that the butterstick wasn't the rod I was looking for the other day. Said it was a great rod but only for dries and tiny nymphs. He actually suggested I stick to my sage launch 5wt. Some of the tribs around here are small with lots of cover so I figured a smaller rod, but I'll try my 5wt

#6 JDean

JDean

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Echo Solo 8'6" 4wt combo. $170 at sail. Awesome combo.

#7 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

The fly fishing pro at sail told me that the butterstick wasn't the rod I was looking for the other day. Said it was a great rod but only for dries and tiny nymphs. He actually suggested I stick to my sage launch 5wt. Some of the tribs around here are small with lots of cover so I figured a smaller rod, but I'll try my 5wt

Well that's their opinion, I fish lots of stuff using my 2wt and I'm sure you could cast any trout fly with the 5wt model. That said it's not in your price range so it's not really an issue.

#8 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

You should check out Le Baron some times they have cheap combos. 2 years ago i bought Scientific Angler combo  8'6" 4wt for $20.00

i still have it and it is not the best rod/reel combo but man for that price i like it. I always have it in my car and it took a lot of beating and it is great for smaller rivers.

#9 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

i got my 6wt from lebarons with everything but flies for 30$, i know i shouldn't but I've caught steelies and salmon with it, in fact the steelie in my avi was caught on my 6wt. its i believe 8'6 i can check if you'd like 

#10 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

I have a 7ft sage 3 wt, best decision I ever made. You can feel the fish blink when you're fighting them, and it still turns over bigger flies. I fish the exceptional waters on the grand for smallmouth with it, and it does fine with long casts and a weighted (beadhead) wooly bugger. For trout, I have been pounding the brookies here on cape breton, the best fish was 13" and it was so much fun, I could actually feel the fish for once, and I still feel as if I could lean into the stick even more.

For the reel, I have an echo ion, it was around $100 and it's holding up great and looks very nice. You can set the drag really loose and that makes the smaller trout and bass a ton of fun. I have it loaded with rio gold trout line, very nice line, very durable, and it casts both long and short distances like a dream. Roll casts are very nice with it too, but when I have too much line out it doesn't turn over, but what can you expect, it's a 3wt line. It also drops the little trout flies with a dainty litte sploosh.

BTW, the rod is a sage flight, I think they might have discontinued it along with the other rods in it's year class, but it was $395, which I know is out of your price range, so I'm recommending the sage approach, I believe it's $295. What I'm trying to say is, save up and get a stick that will last a lifetime and you feel good about, it will be worth it. But if you want to stick strictly with the budget, i've seen some est. Croix imperials for around $130.

Hope this helps!