• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

The 'Berg is starting to heat up.  Lots of vegetation and with favorable conditions (finally!), a Saturday evening trip paid off in 5 in the boat, two lost, and more mutant bluegills taking 4" top waters.

Was targeting bass, but the pike showed up to play.  Four pike, but one chunky monkey of a bass weighed on the scale at 5 lbs.

IMG00220.jpg

Last week was a bit tough with the weather front hovering over Halton, three in the boat, missed one pike.  Chunky bass:

IMG00216.jpg

Dandy pike last week too.  Hit a little over 5 lbs on the scale.  Not quite the 36" people are saying lurks in the reservoir, but it was 32"  I'm on a mission to find that 36-incher.

IMG00217.jpg

#2 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Nice Man, I was out there earlier in the year and caught a few small pike. Didn't see any bass though =( That bucket looks great!

#3 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Nice, I have not been out there this year yet, thinking I am going to have to check it out soon.

#4 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

nice bud!

one of my favorite summer spots

plus its real close so that helps

been fishing it for years

sadly its on the decline because of rampant abuses, but it still holds well. used to get a lot more big pike and bass.

youll get that 36 incher one day man keep at it, and if you catch the huge one with an eye missing ill tip my hat to you.

its a monster, hope its still in there.

#5 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Gents!

#6 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

youll get that 36 incher one day man keep at it, and if you catch the huge one with an eye missing ill tip my hat to you.

its a monster, hope its still in there.

The one-eyed monster... I'm loving it already!  Looks like I've got my work cut out!

#7 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

Great fish man!
I hit Mountsberg ~2weeks ago initially looking for some lunkers...but to no prevail. 

Turned to pike and landed 16 hammer handles between the 2 of us in 4 hours or so. Biggest being ~24 inches

My uncle got a hit from one that snapped his 8lb braid like butter. This was before we turned to leaders :idea:

Definitely a great sign to see the place picking up though!

#8 Cyphus

Cyphus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

I was talking to one of the Local guys who was fishing there on the Pike Opener and he was telling me that right after ice out the MNR took almost a thousand Pike out from below the dam and transported them to another lake. Can't imagine there were actually that many below the dam, but one of the MNR guys did tell me the lake was overrun with Pike.

#9 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

I took a trip to mountsberg a week or so before pike opener, lookin for some bluegills. I noticed tons of people fishing below the darn so I went to check it out. They were catching pike darn near every cast.

I myself, caught/released ~30-40 pike back into mountsberg, as they were trapped below the dam and had nowhere to go.

I don't know about 1000, but I can assure you there was alot .

Hell my buddy even caught one on a tube jig? :???:

#10 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

Update -- Sunday, July 20

Arrived just as the big rain had stopped.  Caught 11 pike in total, lost 2.  Spinnerbaits, 4" twitchbaits and 2" square bill cranks.  The best catch was 20" on a 2" crank.

The 'Berg seemed to benefit from the cloud cover.  I've also noticed the water levels are down significantly.  My usual glory holes are now too shallow.

Not a bad day on the water... except, where the bass at?!  The pike bite was super aggressive, the bass bite was non existent in the predictable spots. 

But I'll take the pike bite any day.

#11 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

Update August 3:

Light rain off and on, variable cloudiness.  Water level still lower than normal.

Fished the evening bite, seven fish in the boat.  Five pike, two chunky bass.

Lures: spinnerbait, crank, popper

The variable weather and front pretty much turned off the bite by the end of the evening.  *shrug*

#12 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Hit a little over 5 lbs on the scale... it was 32" 

Either your scale or measuring tape are off..likely your scale since measuring tapes are usually fine.

32" is a nice pike. 

#13 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

^

Perhaps.

What do you suppose a 32" pike should weigh?

#14 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Should weigh more than that, it could have just been light for its length, or your length measurement wasn't completely accurate. 32" I would think should be approaching 10lbs. 

#15 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

*shrug*

"It was this big!"

#16 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hadn't been to the berg for a month... did anybody know the dam was under repair??  I drove to the launch end of the lake and it was closed off!  I think the sign said it was to open mid October or something.

At any rate, having already purchased my admission at the main gate, I decided to drive back to the park side of the lake and launch from the activity field.  I was not expecting too much, but did see a ton of bluegill, etc in the weedy areas.  Tried my luck at a few key spots and hit into two pike, one 24", and a chunky bass.

IMG00239.jpg

In all, I never considered the "small" side of the lake.  It was a very quiet afternoon with only two other boats.  I'm sure it would be a different story during the summer.  Think I might give it another try next week if the launch side is still closed off.

#17 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

Here's another August 3 in the main lake. Baby likes back.

IMG00228.jpg

#18 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

Is the best fishing on the east or westside of the dam? And do you just fish along the weedbeds? And also how do you launch a canoe (where).

#19 GTAbassangler

GTAbassangler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:45 AM

I took a trip up to the berg on tuseday morning without any knowledge of the dam repairs. We showed up and saw the sign... so we decided to ask the guys working there if we could still fish the lake as the repairs were on the bottom side of the dam. The supervisor I guess, said all the power to us, however the gate locks at 5pm and if you park inside of the fence you're screwed.

I have fished off the dock by the lookout tower on the other side... Didn't see a single fish however so I have overlooked it ever since.

Will have to try it out sometime, as I have a yearly conservation pass

#20 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

Is the best fishing on the east or westside of the dam? And do you just fish along the weedbeds? And also how do you launch a canoe (where).

there only a small creek on the other side of the dam.. theres chub and panfish in it.. sometimes the odd pike goes over when its flowing but not that great fishing imo

theres the main section of the lake north of the tracks and to the south, a smaller more weedy side. i catch a lot more fish in the south side personally. but when the waters lower the bigger side is the place to be.

you can launch at the west side parking but right now its under construction so the gates will only be opened for a limited time during the day...

best bet is to park just outside the temporary gates on the shoulder (the park officers mot likely will not enforce considering its all fenced off for construction, but you should still buy a ticket to support the parks)

you can then carry/portage it anywhere you want. its not far to the water from the gates and for a canoe it should be fine to launch at most shores.