#1 SaugeenDrifter

SaugeenDrifter

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Good Day All;

Saugeen Drifter here;

I have a question: When fishing a deep water spring fed lake for Walleye, what is the trick to getting them on the bite during the day?

The situation:

Clear water tea stained lake

Forage base is Perch/ Cisco, flathead minnows, rock bass

Preditors are Pike (very scarce) Smallmouth (Very scarce), Walleye

Deep water lake to 120 FOW in the middle with obvious springs in the base, 5 miles long, 2 miles wide, no sunken islands, just a big bowl shape, on the slopes of the hole from 55-85 FOW marking fish steady.

Marking 20 feet of bait and fish in 60-80 FOW on the bottom but can not turn them on, mark random fish holding on small suspended bait schools in the 20-30 FOW range over the deeper water.

Fish are taken from this lake every evening from 6pm till midnight-ish then shut down till 5 am and are taken till 9 am-ish when fishing from 10-40 FOW trolling rattling cranks or shallow divers.

I harvested fish in the evenings fishing in the 20-40 FOW and at night in the 10 FOW range, we fished for 20 hrs total over a 1 week period and caught 13 walleye, 5 smallmouth, no pike and hundreds of rock bass.

I attempted to troll deep divers (20-30 foot divers) during the day over 40-60 FOW, trolled worm harnesses tipped with worms/leeches off of dipsey divers set at many depths ranging from 20-50 FOW over 60-100 FOW, trolled body cranks behind the dipseys in the 20-50 FOW range over 60-100 FOW. Drifted with jigs / threeways / bottom bouncer rigs tipped with leeches/worms thru the middle of them. Anchored overtop of them and attempted jig fishing / three ways off the bottom with live baits. I could not turn a single Eye during the day. Any pointers?

#2 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Sounds like you have done everything.. Maybe they just turn off during the day hours? And sit a few feet off the bottom?

#3 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Also welcome to OFF.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: walleye, spring fed, northern lake