265 replies to this topic

#1 houdsfishing

houdsfishing

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hey Guys,

I went to a secret location the other day and saw thousands of minnows jumping as far as my eyes could see and I had the honor of witnessing 3 beautiful chrome salmon jump about 500 feet away, early at 6 am. I also saw at least 17 boats that were fishing about 2-3 thousand feet away from shore (Salmon Derby anyone). Overall, we just need 20+ mm rain and temp around 13-15 to get the run started but with the weather report coming in it might take 2 weeks or more before even a small run starts. 

Tight lines

"You can run but you cannot hide as I will find you even if it means going ten miles upstream to the Dam"

#2 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

darn it, i was hoping for a late run lol, I've seen this before at the mouths of many east tribs where there are possibly millions of minnows surfacing and seagulls diving for them  and there are almost always salmon close by I've always caught bass in this scenario and *possibly* even a salmon once but ill leave that story for later 

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Just because the salmon are currently near shore feasting on minnows doesn't nessessarily mean an early run. You did say they were chrome, so they likely weren't staging. But yes, some cold temps + rain + moon phase may = an early run.

#4 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

May be a good opportunity  to bust into an early salmon off the pier?  I'm in no big hurry.

I dunno.  Seems like I hit them every year at the same time when fishing the harbours... I guess its a lot easier since they hang out there until its go time for the up stream journey.

Could be good news for the guys who want to beat the crowd to the jetties and hook into some early stagers.

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

more likely that the winds and currents moved a huge school of baitfish towards shore and the salmon were chasing them, truth is, you won't know until the run happens

#6 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

I always seem to miss the runs because asking other fishermen always results in "last week" or "yesterday was amazing!". lol.

#7 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

I always seem to miss the runs because asking other fishermen always results in "last week" or "yesterday was amazing!". lol.

The smart anglers will only report on runs after the fish are black ;)

#8 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

Same here, only ever seem to run into dead fish on the bank or old boots in the water that are so dead they can't open their mouth to take my bait. :cry: Or I get there too early and there's no fish...

#9 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

This year I wanna catch them when they're still silver..  I was late last year and all of my catches were brown in the tribs.

#10 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

Fish come in at night therefore at night many fresh ones load up if it is raining they will even run in the daytime I've gotten chrome kings in October before when it was raining. The fish are cruising back and forth from the depths to the shallow parts of the lake and one or two are even coming in and out of the tribs, nothing unusual its always like this, I'll start trolling the river mouths in a couple weeks and early-mid august is when you get fresh fish in the creeks, sometimes even end of July but not much happening yet.

#11 Beman9010

Beman9010

Sunfish

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi I've heard and will be going to try river mouths this weekend. My buddy's said their are fish that pushed into the rivers due to the rain that feel last few days. I will be trying lake o tribs very soon for early silver fish

#12 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hi I've heard and will be going to try river mouths this weekend. My buddy's said their are fish that pushed into the rivers due to the rain that feel last few days. I will be trying lake o tribs very soon for early silver fish

probaly will get skunked, there at a lot of factors to get salmon this early in the year. don't jump the gun and end up getting discouraged when they do start to come in in 2 weeks

#13 Tyler0420

Tyler0420

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:10 AM

A Day or night of getting skunked is better then sitting on the couch. Hopefully your early efforts pay off. Good luck.

#14 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Salmon rely on hours of sunlight first, before temps and water levels. Facts are facts.

I don't believe a wave ran yet. Pics or it didn't happen.

#15 JrFloatnFly

JrFloatnFly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Certain rivers get runs way sooner than others, one of them being a large north trib should be seeing runs starting now with this colder summer.

#16 steve7321

steve7321

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Well with the moon cycle at its weakest right now it will be another 2 weeks before any chance of a run. The weather and temperature is on our side this year but from what I have been told from charters is that the run is 3 weeks behind. So I think this year will be a late run due to the fish are not going to be near their native trib until September and then they likely won't move into the rivers until closer to the 11th of September.

#17 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

I think they would be in by like august 7th

wink-gif.gif

#18 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Salmon rely on hours of sunlight first, before temps and water levels. Facts are facts.

I don't believe a wave ran yet. Pics or it didn't happen.

its awesome how many people forget this lol

#19 Beman9010

Beman9010

Sunfish

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

I think by the next two weeks many Easter tribs will have fish as for tribs by closer to home fish will be staging next few weeks mid August many river mouths should have fish. Let's not forget salmon cold water fish. Weather and water temps have been good won't be long for them to start staging and running into rivers.

#20 steelhead101

steelhead101

Sunfish

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Certain rivers get runs way sooner than others, one of them being a large north trib should be seeing runs starting now with this colder summer.

they are up to the first main town already. that river is an exception since they can be caught all year round in their from time to time