• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

I'm going to buy myself an angling kayak shortly. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for trolling gear or any must have equipment that I should take a look at.
Thanks for any advice!

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

There are a bunch of yak fishers on board - hopefully they will chime in with some tips

#3 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

i too want to get into kayak fishing, i just can't afford a decent kayak and I'm not to keen to ask my parents for 800$

#4 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

i too want to get into kayak fishing, i just can't afford a decent kayak and I'm not to keen to ask my parents for 800$

I wish it was just $800 to drop. But I've been saving for 3 years now to get the one I want.

#5 BnK

BnK

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

Tried it for the first time this past summer and loved every second of it. 

Will be my first big purchase at the start of next year! 

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sail had a sale a month or two ago...it was a pelican fishing kayak I believe....about $400 on sale if I remember correctly. If I didn't have my inflatable I would have picked that up! How old are you now? Working age or what??

#7 threeparrots

threeparrots

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Just buy a good one from the get go. They don't fall apart so you'll have it forever and you'll be thankful you spent upfront. I bought a Tarpon 120 from the get-go.. couldn't be happier.

I hesitated at first because of the price, but the time I've spent on it has made it worth it on many levels. Great fishing, great exercise, outdoor time, meeting people, going new places, etc..

If you're truly into it, buy a good one. It fits everything I need, is stable, performs amazingly well, and can be car topped by myself alone.

I'm not saying it has to be a Tarpon 120, but get something of that level of quality. Don't waste your time and money on a Pelican. You'll just be upgrading the following season.

#8 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

Sail had a sale a month or two ago...it was a pelican fishing kayak I believe....about $400 on sale if I remember correctly. If I didn't have my inflatable I would have picked that up! How old are you now? Working age or what??

not really working age but i can get a job next summer as ill be 16 by then, it seems like i always miss a sale, the only place I've seen a decent kayak for fishing has been kijiji which was still 600, i think i remember seeing a decent one at sail for like 800 but i can't remember, not to mention my mom is paranoid about my safety and my dad "can't swim" so he doesn't like the notion of a kayak, i can't go fishing with him and leave him on shore while i go out, for more than 1 reason  :mrgreen:

#9 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Just buy a good one from the get go. They don't fall apart so you'll have it forever and you'll be thankful you spent upfront. I bought a Tarpon 120 from the get-go.. couldn't be happier.

I hesitated at first because of the price, but the time I've spent on it has made it worth it on many levels. Great fishing, great exercise, outdoor time, meeting people, going new places, etc..

If you're truly into it, buy a good one. It fits everything I need, is stable, performs amazingly well, and can be car topped by myself alone.

I'm not saying it has to be a Tarpon 120, but get something of that level of quality. Don't waste your time and money on a Pelican. You'll just be upgrading the following season.

Picking up an ocean kayak torque angler
I live right on the shores of Lake Ontario and wanted something big and stable . Plus the minn kota motor seemed like a huge plus for trolling.

My first goal for the season is to just get used to the ins and outs of the boat and introduce myself to the sport. I'd eventually be adding a fish finder, a better rod holder that would be ahead of me rather then behind me. I'd like to troll for Salmon as they start to come in a little closer.

This might be a bit quick at this stage of the game to ask but when you troll deeper I'd assume you'd be using a dipsy diver? Or is there a better way to do some sort of "down rigging"?

I'd love any advice you yak pro have.

#10 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Downriggers :smile:

#11 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

I picked up a used Ocean Kayak "Sidekick" last summer for $350 or $400, cant remember exactly how much I paid. The kayak is far from new as the orange plastic has faded to yellow in some spots but it performs as though it was new. It is very stable as I found out last weekend fishing in Lake Ontario in 4-6' swells that were crashing onto the yak at times. 

I cant offer you any good advice on rod mounts or rigs at this time as I am still figuring out those details myself. Currently I am running one 8'6" casting rod with braid to a dipsy diver and about 6' of 20lb flurocarbon to a spoon. I don't even know the equation for how deep the lure goes based on how much line I have out, I also don't have any idea how much line I let out. I just put the reel in freespool and start paddling until I tell myself that I have the right amount of line out lol.

Nevertheless I have a Great Ontario Salmon Derby ticket and I intend on winning the derby from my Kayak!

#12 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

I picked up a used Ocean Kayak "Sidekick" last summer for $350 or $400, cant remember exactly how much I paid. The kayak is far from new as the orange plastic has faded to yellow in some spots but it performs as though it was new. It is very stable as I found out last weekend fishing in Lake Ontario in 4-6' swells that were crashing onto the yak at times.

I cant offer you any good advice on rod mounts or rigs at this time as I am still figuring out those details myself. Currently I am running one 8'6" casting rod with braid to a dipsy diver and about 6' of 20lb flurocarbon to a spoon. I don't even know the equation for how deep the lure goes based on how much line I have out, I also don't have any idea how much line I let out. I just put the reel in freespool and start paddling until I tell myself that I have the right amount of line out lol.

Nevertheless I have a Great Ontario Salmon Derby ticket and I intend on winning the derby from my Kayak!

Not before me! Lol!

Perhaps we will meet on the water one day.

Have you checked out line counters for your rod? I'm sure finding the equation for line/depth should be easy to find. Good luck!

#13 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Done deal folks. I now own a ocean kayak torque. Can't wait to take it out. The weekend can't come soon enough.

#14 Matthew Rossi

Matthew Rossi

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Looks like it's time to FINALLY take out the new yak this Sunday. I'm going light and just bringing my 7-8 weight rod and a few flies for my first time out. It's more of a getting to know the boat outing.

Still gonna need a depth/fish finder but man they are priced pretty high for anything half decent so I'm fishing kinda blind for the rest of this year at least.

Got to admit I'm kinda nervous about transporting a 13 foot 70 pound boat on top of my focus wagon. I've never really hauled anything on my roof before let alone a boat.

Anyway wish me luck here, baby steps now. Eventually I'm going lake ontario bound.