44 replies to this topic

#1 dalkeith

dalkeith

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

Hi Fellow fisherman,

Before you judge, I've been fishing for 35 years.  I am an above avergage fisherman, and I've caught trophy sized fish.  I am not interested in bottom eating fish like Carp or invasive species that some people may feel satisified in catching. I don't use roe, corneal or bread. I also realize that hot summer months can be more of a challenge in landing fish.

I've been lucky enough to have been able to fish for 7 straight days.  I've concentrated on two areas.  1)  Asbridges bay (bays A, B, C D).  Tommy Thompson Park (only opened weekends so just one day -  tried the rocks, bridge, marina).  I've tried spoons, crank bait, worms, spinners, rapala, cleo, dynamite (ya I wish).   The first 4 days I went with the "I'm being kept humble" thing,  but that's passed.  I spoke to other fisherman - also nothing (bottom feeders excluded).   I saw maybe 30 shad total?

Point being, these two major Toronto Harbourfront areas are absolutely no good for fishing.  The signs put up by the government saying what you can safely eat, for the most part a sham - most are not there all year round. 

The good news is that I've taught my daugher how to cast.  Unfortunately, these Toronto Harbourfront areas will not be where I will be teaching my daugher how to actually land real fish, in these beautiful summer months.

Just thought I'd provide realistic expecations :)

good luck to all!!

Rob

#2 Default_User

Default_User

Sunfish

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

It wasn't always like that though. Scary.....

#3 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

Lol. Real fish as opposed to fake fish? Bass fishermen, hah

#4 dalkeith

dalkeith

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

I'm not trying to act entitled honest. I just don't care for Carp style fishing, like to move a bit.

#5 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

Somebody fell off the turnip wagon...

FYI - There ARE real fish in these spots.  Just because you and a few other have nots have trouble catching them, does not mean they are not there.  (source: lived and fished Toronto for seven years)

I'll give you a couple freebies:

1) It's about the time of day you fish these spots (hint, not the middle of the day)

2) "real" fish are usually referred to as game fish

Then again, what do I know, I have only been fishing for 28 years  :mrgreen:

#6 dalkeith

dalkeith

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

Great, we got some terminolgy out of the way!  I challenge anybody to post proof of game fish success.  Prove me wrong! 

Edit - fished dusk and dawn.  Really not speaking out of my arse :)

#7 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:46 AM

dalkeith is trying to send people away from those areas :lol:

#8 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

Great, we got some terminolgy out of the way!  I challenge anybody to post proof of game fish success.  Prove me wrong! 

Edit - fished dusk and dawn.  Really not speaking out of my arse :)

What fish do you consider to be game fish?

#9 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

Joking aside - knowing the area really helps.  I know a few guys who fish it religously and bank pike/bass all day long.  I love TT for carp in the Spring

#10 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

USERNAMEHERE: "TTP SUCKS"

haha

#11 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

this post is amusing :)

#12 usernamehere

usernamehere

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

USERNAMEHERE: "TTP SUCKS"

haha

Haha

#13 dalkeith

dalkeith

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

There's a policy in place with this forum where one can only post 3 messages within 24 hours. Truly odd rule for a fishing forum. not to mention I practise post and release :). I spoke to three people fishing from boats today. All three, zero game fish in ash bay.

I'm glad to have amused you guys. But i'm sticking to my comments. For those reading about gta game fishing for ideas where to fish - don't waste your time at either of these places. Check out other forums and YouTube - it's no coincidence there is no recent success stories. These government promos are full of carp.

#14 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

I have never fished the areas that you have..but I can say...fishing for Carp can be a blast! While not a "game" fish...they are still a lot of fun to hook in to!

#15 dalkeith

dalkeith

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Yes I should probably give it a shot. May as well start researching, i'm in the right place.

#16 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

I only started targeting them last year...they are a heck of a blast! Granted..you are not going to take them home to eat (depends on your personal taste)..but wow..they are *TANKS* to fight and land! Lots of fun!

#17 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

Jeeze what a topic lol. From trying to stir the pot to agreeing with what people are saying. Lol. Bottom feeders to game fish. There's some guys on here who can catch amazing carp on the fly. Tcp has done some damage on my local tribs on nail some amazing huge carp on dry flies and honestly that takes a TON of skill and earns a ton of respect in my books. Game fish or not.

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

carp are a ton of fun to catch, i've got them on accidental catches, they pull like a freight train, very strong fish and very large as well

#19 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

I'm going to ask the same question as above that you haven't answered:

What do you consider game fish? Name some specific species that you were targeting those days that you consider game fish. 

#20 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

there are gamefish in there, it requires skill to catch them and also depends on the wind, weather, pressure, sudden changes in any of these factors and the fishing will be off until everything is evened out again. In the spring it can be real good if you know where to go and what to use, (I'm also not coating carp, suckers, catfish, any bottom fish). There ARE real game fish in these areas and you are one silly dude to say at the least if you think just because you and a couple other guys didn't get anything in 7 days that there are no game fish in those areas!