4 replies to this topic

#1 rybak

rybak

Sunfish

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Targetting and locating: Yellow Perch.

Where: North end tributary to Mountsberg.

Time: Mid-afternoon, between 4:30 and 6:30 pm.

Weather: Slighlty overcast and very windy, so fishing in between the sheltered trib was much better than on the open lake.

Tackle: Super ultra-light 6 foot rod, 4# test line, micro thill shy bite float, size 10 hooks, Berkley gulp red worms in 1 inch size wrapped around the hook, Northland white and red soft plastics. Distance from the float to the hook was about 24".

Approach: I located the creek on the map en route home from work. The water is very shallow and with plenty of weeds and vegetation, fallen trees as well as a bridge crossing are around for fish to hide under. As I was scoping the area, another gentlemen parked his car, whipped out a ready-to-go rod setup with a Livetarget frog and threw a few cast hoping to get a bass or pike. After a 15 minutes, he left and I started to cast for Perch.

Each of the first 5 casts landed solid bluegills. I swear that I was pulling out some fish multiple times as they were so eager to bite.

Casts under the very low bridge produced a few yellow perch. Nothing over 8" long.

Overall I pulled out about 25 bluegills and 4 yellow perch all catch and release. That made it about 15 fish per hour so not bad.

#2 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

not bad at all bud, im fond of that trib as well :)

#3 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Solid report.

The bluegill there are mutants!

Bluegill are probably the amongst the most aggressive fish out there.  On light tackle, it holds up to bass and pike fishing.  They are also very tasty...

#4 hamiltonangler94

hamiltonangler94

Smallmouth Fanatic

• Active Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

Nice! U can't beat creek fishing on light tackle

#5 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Nice report, got to love ultralight fishing, just started this year myself and having a blast.