Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

14snk3t.jpg

#42 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

The Ministry of Natural Resources would like to remind anglers that it is illegal to hook or pierce a fish other than in the mouth, or use tackle such as large treble hooks weighted with sinkers for the purpose of foul-hooking fish. Any fish accidentally caught other than in the mouth must be immediately released.

Seems like it becomes the CO's descretion - A grey area if you will.

#43 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

whats at the CO's descretion?  the treble hook? 

It cleary says "...for the purpose of snagging" 

#44 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

I'm not sure if it's really a grey area but weighted trebles have no other purpose but to snag. running fish will not pick up baits from the bottom. they take whatever drifts towards them. trebles sits at the bottom and the line from the treble to the rod would be lined diagonally and will be situated where the salmon runs. I've seen this done on browns and steels as well.

#45 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Sorry, 

I should have explained it better, lets say you have a Mepps with a treble on it, this can be considered a "weighted treble" by definition. Think about it, the body of the spinner is weighted. 

Although its obvious when someone is tossing a treble with a huge weight into a pool and yanking it out he is snagging. Any form of treble (spoon, mepps, crank bait) will get the job done. This will be at the discretion of the reporting CO as to what is a weighted treble is. 

#46 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

Sorry, 

I should have explained it better, lets say you have a Mepps with a treble on it, this can be considered a "weighted treble" by definition. Think about it, the body of the spinner is weighted. 

Although its obvious when someone is tossing a treble with a huge weight into a pool and yanking it out he is snagging. Any form of treble (spoon, mepps, crank bait) will get the job done. This will be at the discretion of the reporting CO as to what is a weighted treble is. 

use tackle such as large treble hooks weighted with sinkers and  spinners, well that depends on how you fish with them. if you cast and retrieve then you are fishing with it. if you let it sit at the bottom...you are snagging. same with spoons. but yeah, i've seen people rig an egg sinker(painted in pink) next to a treble.

#47 tcp

tcp

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

Based on what it says in the regs there, you are 100% allowed to use treble hooks.  No question at all.  No grey area. 

What you are not allowed to do is snag with them.  simple as that

Read it again:

or use tackle such as large treble hooks weighted with sinkers for the purpose of foul-hooking fish.

It says you cannot use tackle such as a treble hook..... for the purpose of foul hooking fish.

this means you also cannot use other types of tackle....for the purpose of foul hooking fish either

you dont need a treble to snag a fish.  any hook will do just fine

The main point of that sentence is .... for the purpose of foul hooking fish.

It does not say "use tackle such as large treble hooks weighted with sinkers for the purpose of ...  inciting a bite from a fish

#48 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

You can pair your weighted treble with this rod...

http://www.basspro.c...12082905321832/

#49 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

haha at this comment...

Overall Rating:
rating.gif
1 out of 5

don't bother......,

April 17, 2014 By turkeythug3

from pulaski new  york

Disadvantages: you feel guilty using this method

"i bought this to snag steelhead and salmon with the chuck and duck method, dredging the bottom. I eventually saw this as the stupidest, skilless method you can use. the fish you legally snag do not bite the lure, you snag them. there are guys legally fishing and I felt like a moron cheating the fish and snagging them. nice rod, but the whole idea of snagging steelhead made me feel guilty."

Would you recommend this product as a gift? No

#50 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

haha at this comment...

Overall Rating:
rating.gif
1 out of 5

don't bother......,

April 17, 2014 By turkeythug3

from pulaski new  york

Disadvantages: you feel guilty using this method

"i bought this to snag steelhead and salmon with the chuck and duck method, dredging the bottom. I eventually saw this as the stupidest, skilless method you can use. the fish you legally snag do not bite the lure, you snag them. there are guys legally fishing and I felt like a moron cheating the fish and snagging them. nice rod, but the whole idea of snagging steelhead made me feel guilty."

Would you recommend this product as a gift? No

believe it or not but there are areas South of the border that you can legally snag 'em. I'd call it foraging than fishing.

#51 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yup, I just don't understand the fun in snagging.

I've seen youtube video's where they snag them, muscle them in, then release them and repeat.

I'll find the video.

#52 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

I bet that review was a joke. The snagging rods are made for snagging huge fish that feed on vegetation and won't bite a bait not salmon or rainbows.