• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

I'm sure some people prefer one over the other but are there any scenarios where one is better than the other?

#2 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

If you are fishing in 20 feet of water then a slip float is necessary. If you are using a CP reel in a river you can avoid line twist when side casting by using a slip float or by using a swivel above a fixed float. If your using a spinning reel then it probably doesn't matter.

#3 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

I don't have a CP so I guess it doesn't really matter. There's no more than 5-6 feet of water where i fish. Thanks for the reply

#4 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

If you fish artificials then it is nice to use a slip float but that's the only scenario where it would be beneficial in shallow water.

#5 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

There's no more than 5-6 feet of water where i fish.

I fish west tribs and I use a fixed float with a swivel below it going to my leader. It's hard to find a slip float under 6 grams so I usually end up using a fixed float around 4 g. But in chocolate milk a 6 g slip would be perfectly fine.

#6 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

If you fish artificials then it is nice to use a slip float but that's the only scenario where it would be beneficial in shallow water.

I fish west tribs and I use a fixed float with a swivel below it going to my leader. It's hard to find a slip float under 6 grams so I usually end up using a fixed float around 4 g. But in chocolate milk a 6 g slip would be perfectly fine.

I'm assuming with artificial if you give action to it you're not pulling the whole set up just the line. What's the reasoning for a heavier float in dirty water?

#7 cptpronin

cptpronin

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Fishing shallow creeks, fixed floats are far more easier to manage and you can easily change them out without having to re-tie.

#8 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

under 8grams I fish fixed over 8 I use slips. I use 12gm fixed floats when I can find them.

#9 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

I'm assuming with artificial if you give action to it you're not pulling the whole set up just the line. What's the reasoning for a heavier float in dirty water?

You'd be using a heavier bait (be it a bigger roe bag or a bigger fly) or you might not get to the ideal casting position in high water, and the heavy float is easier to cast far.

#10 Tyler0420

Tyler0420

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

If the water if muddy then more then likely the water is hi n fast. Unless it's muddy year long. So bigger float means u can put more weight on to get your bait to the bottom.

#11 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

That makes perfect sense now that you guys mention it. On a side note your leader stays the same length whether your fishing 5 feet or 10 feet?

#12 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

Correct

#13 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

Thank you guys for all the advice, now I just gotta catch my first chrome on a float! If I land just 1, I'll be happy as poop! Thanks again

#14 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thank you guys for all the advice, now I just gotta catch my first chrome on a float! If I land just 1, I'll be happy as poop! Thanks again

Good luck, I worked my butt off for my first one, took me one fall of trying and then another fall, but I didn't catch a salmon, brown or bow until mid November of the second fall, where I got 2 in 3 drifts, 1 drift apart. But I spent alot of time going for them and not much to show for it. I have lost 3 in total and I have landed the 2 I got the same morning. That's it. This spring I had went out every weekend from mid march until the second weekend in may, hooked one drop back and lost it. It's a tough game, at least until you get some fish under your belt.

#15 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

I know i got a big challenge ahead, learning experience more than anything. I'm not expecting a lot of action but if i can just get the basics down it will beneficial for years to come. You can never learn enough about this sport and thats what makes it so great. Hope you catch lots a fish this fall.

#16 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

I know i got a big challenge ahead, learning experience more than anything. I'm not expecting a lot of action but if i can just get the basics down it will beneficial for years to come. You can never learn enough about this sport and thats what makes it so great. Hope you catch lots a fish this fall.

Thanks sonnen, and best of luck to you on your search of steelies. BTW, I caught mine in a long stretch of rapids that were about 2 ft deep, had a chartreuse bead with a blood dot on and drifted it just above the rocky bottom. My box of beads has about 8 different colours now :P

#17 sonnen6

sonnen6

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, very much appreciated. Now the only thing to do is get out there. Can't come soon enough!