• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

BTW, I'm not especially intelligent...nor do I think what I do is more important than anyone else. I'm just sharing what I do, why I do it, and why it is important to know what we are hoping to achieve in the lab. I'm but a miniscule factor within a huge research community...and I'm but a little insignificant worker ant in a huge colony. But together, we can build a huge ant hill...and hopefully one day find even more effective treatments to cancer...so we can conquer cancer in our lifetime.

* Just a little plug...if you don't already, support cancer research causes. ;)

#22 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Some pretty awesome guesses guys!  Really close to the actuals in terms of weight.  Here're the actual numbers!  Christopher K and Getin were closest I'd say! 

Fish #1 Largemouth, just about 19.5" (can't tell EXACTLY) and a weight of about 4.4 lbs:

DSCF6554.jpg

Fish #2 Smallmouth, about 18.5" and a weight of about 3.28 lbs if I recall correctly 

DSCF6621.jpg

#23 bbgobie

bbgobie

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

Surprised there weren't more 10 lb guesses. Feels like every fish I see posted is loaded with lead weights. Thanks for starting this thread. Maybe we'll hear less about peoples 1 lb fish being 5+ lbs. It should be stickied. =)

#24 creek chub in your pocket

creek chub in your pocket

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Yep, caught two species - Logperch (Percina caprodes) and Ozark Logperch (Percina fulvitaenia). Most of the logperch diversity is in the US. As far are I know, we only have Percina caprodes in Canada...but I could be wrong. The Ozark Logperch was caugth in Illinois.

Logperch are smaller fish...so unless you target them with smaller hooks...you generally don't catch them. I've found the in calmer shallows of bigger rivers, and have caught maybe half a dozen so far in Ontario.

If you are really that interested, check this out. Not a self promotion...but people love to see fish pics, right?

http://muskiebaitadv...ecies-list.html

right on, ive caught a few with a jigging spoon before and at first look i thought it was a gobie, but after looking closer i noticed they were log perch, pretty cool and unexpected...ive probley got about 5 of them over the last 8 years just randomly...not sure if they were all the same exact species or not.

#25 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

:-)) What is the prize ....lol

#26 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Surprised there weren't more 10 lb guesses. Feels like every fish I see posted is loaded with lead weights. Thanks for starting this thread. Maybe we'll hear less about peoples 1 lb fish being 5+ lbs. It should be stickied. =)

Fishing is made up of 3 parts:

1. Finding the fish
2. Trying to catch said fish
3. Overestimating on the fish you caught and the ones you didn't find

Everything is a 5lb+ fish until a scale tells me otherwise! That's why I leave mine at home :)

#27 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

NOOOOOOOOO... SHOTS FIRED

r7DFHbC.gif

#28 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members