1 reply to this topic

#1 roughsquare

roughsquare

Sunfish

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

Hey folks,
This is my obligatory post asking for any recommendations about fishing in Killarney Provincial Park during a canoe trip.

We are doing a six day, five night trip with a few days on Three Narrows in the middle. I'll be bringing my 6'6" medium action rod spilled with 10lb line and my 6wt fly rod. I'll try trolling while we paddle but beyond that...

What kind of fish should I expect? Bass, Trout, Pike, Panfish? Any techniques you've found particularly successful up there?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Devon

#2 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Ah, just my type of question!  I LOVE that park, and I've been back over and over again in the past two or three years.  Not for the fishing though.  

General stuff off the bat, the lakes there are mostly dead lakes.  Jeff's map will tell you which lakes are the dead lakes, which will be identified as "outrageously clear, blue lakes" in the legend.  Google up Jeff's map, it'll come in handy.  

There are also many fish sanctuaries in the park.  Check your route list against the regs for the region to see which lakes you can't fish on.  They are generally dead lakes and lakes that have such small populations of fish that they must be conserved... at least that's what I gather.  

Further, Three Narrows is where I caught my first pike.  It was a small one, low 20" range, but I'll never forget it.  I'll PM you with more info!